Briess Sorghum Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the brew?

Also I emailed Briess about a week ago to ask if they had a distributor this side of the pond. Still no reply.

Here's the recipe.

Bring 8 litres of water to the boil. Add 3kg of sorghum syrup and 50 grams of Fuggles hop pellets to the boil and let boil for 50 minutes. At the 30 minute mark add 1 teaspoon of Irish Moss. After 50 minutes add 25 grams of Fuggles hops and keep boiling for another 10 minutes (60 minute boil total).

Strain into fermenter and add enough cool water to make 20 litres. At about 26 degrees celcius I add S-04 yeast.

Starting Gravity of 1.050 at 26 degrees.

An english style ale has been on my to brew list (further down than ipas). Would like to hear back on what you think about your beer when it's done.

Hi all. Just cracked open my briess sorghum syrup beer today and have a few tasting notes.

For starters there is no body to the beer at all. The recipe is up here on the forum. I've tried for an ESB. More like a cross between a flat Fosters and a Pale Ale. I has a slight sparkle to it but not overly fizzy which is good. No head retention at all. Clarity is good and colour is golden amber. Would have prefered it a little darker. Bitterness is perfect for what I was looking for. Not overly bitter but I know I'm having a bitter style beer. Maltiness is nice. Definitely has that sorghum flavour to it.

Finished out at SG 1.010. 5.1% alc/vol approx.

In future I will add about 500g of maltodextrin for body and head retention. I reckon about 450g of brown sugar will help with bitterness and colour as well.

Thanks for the reply.

That gives me a little more to work with, given that I'm about to (finally) in a week or so time (when I drag him down to the brew shop) brew my GI mate's beer.

I think I have some leftover maltodextrin from bittering.

Goomba

Hi all. Just cracked open my briess sorghum syrup beer today and have a few tasting notes.

For starters there is no body to the beer at all. The recipe is up here on the forum. I've tried for an ESB. More like a cross between a flat Fosters and a Pale Ale. I has a slight sparkle to it but not overly fizzy which is good. No head retention at all. Clarity is good and colour is golden amber. Would have prefered it a little darker. Bitterness is perfect for what I was looking for. Not overly bitter but I know I'm having a bitter style beer. Maltiness is nice. Definitely has that sorghum flavour to it.

Finished out at SG 1.010. 5.1% alc/vol approx.

In future I will add about 500g of maltodextrin for body and head retention. I reckon about 450g of brown sugar will help with bitterness and colour as well.

It will still be gluten free after adding maltodextrin? That stuff is usually made from a grain source and in australia that grain is usually going to be wheat.

Maltodextrine made from Wheat is supposedly gluten free. Although celiacs can still have reactions.

Grant put me onto Soy Products for tapioca based maltodextrine. Have used some in my latest brew, although it will be a couple of weeks before I know how it worked out.

Hoping to see the results of Grants test in the next month or so. 500g seems like a hell of a lot of maltodextrine but we'll see.

With regards to yeast, I've had good success with US-05, S-33 and WB-06, however I didn't like T-58. S-33 produced fantastic head retention at about a month in the bottle. Although body (or "mouthfeel") is a problem with my gluten free beers.

Where did you source your tapioca maltodextrin from spaced?

I have seen the following products mentioned about:
BriesSweet White Sorghum Syrup 45 DE High Maltose
BriesSweet White Sorghum Syrup 60 DE

Are there any other manufacturers of white sorghum syrup or is it basically Briess?
When HB retailers list white sorghum syrup, is it safe to assume that it is the 45 DE?

Aside, this is an interesting article, and it alludes to Belgian yeast not working well with GF brewing. I was thinking about an experimental Trappist style beer using proper isolated yeast.

Where did you source your tapioca maltodextrin from spaced?

This is the place Grant put me onto.

http://www.soyproducts.com.au/aboutus.htm

I suggest buying in at least 10kg batches as the maltodextrine is $1.50 per KG and the Postage is approximately $11.

I have seen the following products mentioned about:
BriesSweet White Sorghum Syrup 45 DE High Maltose
BriesSweet White Sorghum Syrup 60 DE

Are there any other manufacturers of white sorghum syrup or is it basically Briess?
When HB retailers list white sorghum syrup, is it safe to assume that it is the 45 DE?

Aside, this is an interesting article, and it alludes to Belgian yeast not working well with GF brewing. I was thinking about an experimental Trappist style beer using proper isolated yeast.

Sorry mate, can't help you there. Probably best to speak to Ross from Craft brewer, he's got the best price on it that I know of and he should be able to help.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4064

I'm not sold on the Belgian yeasts, well the only one that's gluten free I know of is T-58 and I've had bad experiences with that. People argue if S-33 is really a belgian style yeast, I've had good success with it in this recipe from DKershner http://brew.dkershner.com/2009/gluten-free-tripel-blonde/ N.B. I fill my fermentor for this recipe to 22L

Thanks for the link, it's a good little article.

Down the track I'd like to culture my own belgian and speciality yeasts, but don't have the time, space or knowledge yet.

Cheers spaced ive dropped them an email..well attempted to with the contact us form wanting every detail bar what I had for breakfast :p

I'm not sold on the Belgian yeasts, well the only one that's gluten free I know of is T-58 and I've had bad experiences with that. People argue if S-33 is really a belgian style yeast, I've had good success with it in this recipe from DKershner http://brew.dkershner.com/2009/gluten-free-tripel-blonde/ N.B. I fill my fermentor for this recipe to 22L

Down the track I'd like to culture my own belgian and speciality yeasts, but don't have the time, space or knowledge yet.

After a little reading, it seems Millet Man is an advocate of yeasts which put out more esters, e.g. Belgians.
My thoughts were that it seems like a good idea to use a recipe with a lot of adjuncts (e.g. dark candi syrup) and a funky yeast. I hate T-58, but would like to try with isolated 3787. If I were actually gluten intolerant, this would be a definite.

Gluten intolerant people should work towards a GF slant bank.

Hi all. Good to see the thread is still going.

I'm sorry I can't help anyone with Belgium style yeasts as I don't use them. But while I was experimenting with my brown ale I added two cups of caramellised sugar to the brew. After about a month of bottle conditioning it started to transform from an overly sweet beer to something that tasted similar to Grimbergen. I know Grimergen is still quite sweet but it was quite nice. It eventually peeted out and lost its sweetness after another month. I put this down to not puttting cirtic acid in with the sugar when caramellising it. This meant the yeast took longer to break down the sugars. I used S-04 as the yeast.

Just bought two kgs of G/F glucose powder. The web site says it's Gluten and wheat free but when I received the product it was another brand and it says it is packed in an area where wheat is also packed. Gonna give it a go. I've attached the link http://www.glutenfreeshop.com.au/Sweeteners-C15.aspx It's $6.30 a kg.

They also sell muscavado sugar and some other sweeteners. I've seen muscavado being used on brewmasters so it must be ok to brew with.

Catch ya's.

Grant

Hi all. Good to see the thread is still going.

I'm sorry I can't help anyone with Belgium style yeasts as I don't use them. But while I was experimenting with my brown ale I added two cups of caramellised sugar to the brew. After about a month of bottle conditioning it started to transform from an overly sweet beer to something that tasted similar to Grimbergen. I know Grimergen is still quite sweet but it was quite nice. It eventually peeted out and lost its sweetness after another month. I put this down to not puttting cirtic acid in with the sugar when caramellising it. This meant the yeast took longer to break down the sugars. I used S-04 as the yeast.

Just bought two kgs of G/F glucose powder. The web site says it's Gluten and wheat free but when I received the product it was another brand and it says it is packed in an area where wheat is also packed. Gonna give it a go. I've attached the link http://www.glutenfreeshop.com.au/Sweeteners-C15.aspx It's $6.30 a kg.

They also sell muscavado sugar and some other sweeteners. I've seen muscavado being used on brewmasters so it must be ok to brew with.

Catch ya's.

Grant

After a little reading, it seems Millet Man is an advocate of yeasts which put out more esters, e.g. Belgians.
My thoughts were that it seems like a good idea to use a recipe with a lot of adjuncts (e.g. dark candi syrup) and a funky yeast. I hate T-58, but would like to try with isolated 3787. If I were actually gluten intolerant, this would be a definite.

Gluten intolerant people should work towards a GF slant bank.
The T-58 yeast works well as long as you have a nice caramel/malty grain profile to work with, only issue for me is that it doesn't attenuate anywhere near as well as the other dry GF yeasts. T-58 only gives me about 65% attenuation compared to 75-78% for S-04/US-05 and 82-83% for W34/70. Never tried T-58 in a pale beer either, only in a brown ale and strong dark spiced belgian which was absolutely delicious mmmm.....

Cheers, Andrew.

The T-58 yeast works well as long as you have a nice caramel/malty grain profile to work with, only issue for me is that it doesn't attenuate anywhere near as well as the other dry GF yeasts. T-58 only gives me about 65% attenuation compared to 75-78% for S-04/US-05 and 82-83% for W34/70. Never tried T-58 in a pale beer either, only in a brown ale and strong dark spiced belgian which was absolutely delicious mmmm.....

Cheers, Andrew.

Were using it with Sorghum? I swear those two don't get along at all.

Catch ya's.

Grant

What are you using the glucose powder in place of if you don't mind me asking?

Were using it with Sorghum? I swear those two don't get along at all.

The brown ale is with a sorghum base - malted, not extract but has plenty of caramel/chocolate/coffee flavours too. The Belgian was 60/40 malted millet/sorghum extract as the base and plenty of crystal millet malt and candi sugar was delicious.

Cheers, Andrew.

The brown ale is with a sorghum base - malted, not extract but has plenty of caramel/chocolate/coffee flavours too. The Belgian was 60/40 malted millet/sorghum extract as the base and plenty of crystal millet malt and candi sugar was delicious.

Cheers, Andrew.

Maybe that was the difference. First time I used rice malt and sorghum extract. The second time I've used only sorghum extract.

I used this recipe as the base for my last attempt with T-58

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/pink-eleph...s-clone-112957/

Can't say I'm a fan.

It's been abit longer now and I'm updating the sorghum syrup beer I've made. I shook the bottles up and placed them in the bar under a towel off the floor to see if the secondary carbonation would kick in abit more. It did. The beer has a better head retention and the carbonation makes it feel abit more like a proper beer. If I had to compare it to anything it has the same bitterness and feel of a melb or vic bitter. Same colour. Same mouthfeel. It's got a malt flavour but has that sorghum aftertaste. Not bad for a first go trial.

On the boil this morning is the rest of the pail of sorghum malt (should be 3kg but only turned out to be about 2kg, but we'll go into being duped later) and 1kg of honey. 23g each of Hallertau and Saaz hops for 40 mins. Then another 25 of Saaz plus 1 teaspoon of irish moss. 60 mins all up. Will use an S-04 yeast.

Grant

Yep, it definitely improves with time. A nice hop flavour can definitely mask the sorghum taste. Did you use maltodextrine in this one?

My third crack at the Belgian Blonde isn't as good I think because I used whirlfloc. Maybe the suspended S-33 the first time added some flavour. Will try a forth time but not for a while, have other beers planned at the moment.

Latest posts

Back