Briess Sorghum Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Andrew. I'll check it out. MY local G/F store in Werribee stocks it.

For the other guys asking about yeast I use S-23 for my honey beer and S-04 for the brown ale. It's definitley G/F. Are the other yeasts mentioned G/F?

Thanks Andrew. I'll check it out. MY local G/F store in Werribee stocks it.

For the other guys asking about yeast I use S-23 for my honey beer and S-04 for the brown ale. It's definitley G/F. Are the other yeasts mentioned G/F?

All fermentis dry yeasts are. Also Danstar are supposed to be as well.

No liquid yeasts that I'm aware of. Wyeast made one and then canned it.

From what I've read, you can take yeast, feed it on a gluten free diet and it will cut the gluten level to acceptable levels. Would be great to propogate some of the different belgian yeasts.

Its probably already been asked,my best mate can not go anywhere near gluten
Does anyone have a recipe for gluten free beer im after 9l
as for the yeast is s-23 good to use
any help would be appreciated i want to get it brewed for his birthday in a months time
cheers humulus

Its probably already been asked,my best mate can not go anywhere near gluten
Does anyone have a recipe for gluten free beer im after 9l
as for the yeast is s-23 good to use
any help would be appreciated i want to get it brewed for his birthday in a months time
cheers humulus

What sort of beer does your friend like. I'm a Celiac and sensitive to gluten. I don't have any trouble with Sorghum malt or Fermentis yeast. No experience with S-23 but I doubt you'll have a problem.

What sort of beer does your friend like. I'm a Celiac and sensitive to gluten. I don't have any trouble with Sorghum malt or Fermentis yeast. No experience with S-23 but I doubt you'll have a problem.

All Saflager dried yeasts are propogated on molasses and from the maker themselves are gluten free. I use S-23 with my honey fusion ale and s-04 on my brown ale.

Hey 'spaced' I read your blog the other day. I hope the brewing is going well. I'm going to try and brew a sorghum syrup ale hopefully this weekend. My first one. I'd love for you to check out my webpage www.grantsglutenfreehomebrew.webs.com it might give you some ideas. Then again it might not.

I've just cracked my second attempt at a belgium whitbeer. The recipe is up on the page (i think). I've just been using honey as a substitute for liquid pale malt extract. Has worked for me for a while.
I've also just made an attempt at a bohemian style pilsner. To get a good grain flavour I've added 300g of hulled millet grains to the hop bag with the dry hops. It also seems to be working. If it does the recipe will end up on my webpage.

Good brewing.

Hey Grant,

I can see the old recipe here

http://grantsglutenfreehomebrew.webs.com/b...itbierstyle.htm

Can't see the new one with Sorghum Syrup. Where do you source your corn based maltodextrine from?

Sorry mate. The witbeer style is honey based not sorghum syrup based. I just did my sorghum syrup based beer. I was surprised how malty the syrup tasted. I wrote the recipe down so if it tastes good and turns out like an ESB I'll put it up on the site.

The corn based maltodextrin can be bought from Soy Products in Bayswater, Vic. They make the FG Roberts brand of G/F goodies. The ph # is 03 97291099. It cost about $1.40 something a kilo. I buy it in 10kg boxes. Costs about $22 including shipping to Geelong. They're very helpful and all their products are G/F.

If you use it you'll need to know a few things. It is only about 30% fermentable. It also does exagerate the flavours and sweetness but not alot. On a 20 litre batch 1 kg will ferment out at 1.014. 2kg at around 1.032 SG. It gives great body to a beer. The head on my brown ale lasts the whole pint. The belgium lace (froth) will still be there the next day in the glass.

I hope this is of some help.

Grant

I know this a bit off topic, but it is sort of where this thread has gone.

I understand GF standards are different in Oz, but thought it might be worth pointing out that all Maltodextrin and for that matter glucose is by its very nature of manufacture are gluten free irrespective of source. Here is a link that might be of some use http://www.coeliac.org.uk/healthcare-profe...ergen-labelling. This is Europe wide, but it may be worth checking with your local food standards agency as many of these standards are adopted further afield.

At the end of the day you have to be happy with what you choose, but thought it might be worth a mention.

Jay

Sorry mate. The witbeer style is honey based not sorghum syrup based. I just did my sorghum syrup based beer. I was surprised how malty the syrup tasted. I wrote the recipe down so if it tastes good and turns out like an ESB I'll put it up on the site.

The corn based maltodextrin can be bought from Soy Products in Bayswater, Vic. They make the FG Roberts brand of G/F goodies. The ph # is 03 97291099. It cost about $1.40 something a kilo. I buy it in 10kg boxes. Costs about $22 including shipping to Geelong. They're very helpful and all their products are G/F.

If you use it you'll need to know a few things. It is only about 30% fermentable. It also does exagerate the flavours and sweetness but not alot. On a 20 litre batch 1 kg will ferment out at 1.014. 2kg at around 1.032 SG. It gives great body to a beer. The head on my brown ale lasts the whole pint. The belgium lace (froth) will still be there the next day in the glass.

I hope this is of some help.

Grant

Cheers, I'll hit em up this week.

I know this a bit off topic, but it is sort of where this thread has gone.

I understand GF standards are different in Oz, but thought it might be worth pointing out that all Maltodextrin and for that matter glucose is by its very nature of manufacture are gluten free irrespective of source. Here is a link that might be of some use http://www.coeliac.org.uk/healthcare-profe...ergen-labelling. This is Europe wide, but it may be worth checking with your local food standards agency as many of these standards are adopted further afield.

At the end of the day you have to be happy with what you choose, but thought it might be worth a mention.

Jay

Hi Jay. Our standards in Oz are the same usually but I find that products made from wheat still effect me. Glucose Syrup is the same. Although I haven't been diagnosed with a wheat allergy only gluten. I still think I am allergic to wheat. Some distilled spirits effect me as well. They are gluten free apparently to.

Grant

Just a couple of points to toss into the mix: -
There are Two Briess Sorghum extracts available 45DE and 65DE (DE means Dextrose Equivalent, (loosely) a wort would attenuate 45% or 65% as much as a Dextrose wort with the same OG)
Australian rules are much stricter than either US or UK standards, under Australian rules Dextrose is fine, Maltodextrin isnt. Briess Sorghum syrup doesnt comply, but by the time you dilute and boil it, it dose
There are four cereal grain that you have to watch out for, the mnemonic is BROW (as in eye) Barley, Rye Oats and Wheat. If you suffer from Gluten intolerance (Celiac) you need to be careful of all of the best beer making grains.
And yes GST applies there is a clause that says any product intended for brewing, Sugar for cake making isnt, same sugar for brewing is. I dont write them just have to work with the sometimes very peculiar rules.

Well back to work, I have a the makings for 135 L of Gluten Free beer about to go through the centrifuge and the bloody thing has the wobbles have to pull it down and restack the cones, dam they are finely balanced but it does 28,000 RPM so I suppose thats a good thing
M

Hi Jay. Our standards in Oz are the same usually
but I find that products made from wheat still effect me. Glucose Syrup
is the same. Although I haven't been diagnosed with a wheat allergy
only gluten. I still think I am allergic to wheat. Some distilled
spirits effect me as well. They are gluten free apparently to.

Grant

Hi Grant,

I perfectly understand, I was diagnosed 5 years ago with Coeliac disease. I have 3 immediate family members in Oz also with the condition. Because of the different healthcare systems there are large differences in the way the condition is treated. For example once diagnosed in the UK you are kept under constant supervision by a gastrointrologist and dietitian. Initially reviewed 6 monthly and once stable annually, full sets of bloods etc. You are also able to access 1000's of gluten free 'staples' on prescription via your GP. Sadly beer is not considered to be a 'staple'

Back to the issue of sensitivity. Before the tightening of the international CODEX gluten standard (last year I think) I wasn't able to tolerate many so called Gluten free products, esp. the ones with CODEX wheat starch. Since the change I've been fine. This could be down to the new standard, but could also be down to other factors such as there seems to be a biological memory for other compounds associated with the offending proteins.

One significant difference seems to be the level of funding for good scientific research into the condition, recent research over here as found that many people with coeliac disease benefit from up to 50grms of GF Oats a day. Whilst I find this a bit much for me, I now use up to 10% GF oats in some beers. I have not had a problem with this. I don't know if GF oats are available in Oz.

As I said before, it's entirely down to what works for you.

There are Two Briess Sorghum extracts available 45DE and 65DE (DE means Dextrose Equivalent, (loosely) a wort would attenuate 45% or 65% as much as a Dextrose wort with the same OG)
Australian rules are much stricter than either US or UK standards, under Australian rules Dextrose is fine, Maltodextrin isnt. Briess Sorghum syrup doesnt comply, but by the time you dilute and boil it, it dose
There are four cereal grain that you have to watch out for, the mnemonic is BROW (as in eye) Barley, Rye Oats and Wheat. If you suffer from Gluten intolerance (Celiac) you need to be careful of all of the best beer making grains.

CODEX standard is a international standard. Labeling laws are local although the EU of which UK is part, have unified labeling laws. 'Strict' may well just equate to 'we haven't done the research yet so lets be conservative in our approach'. For example I don't understand why the 65DE doesn't comply if it is entirely comprised of Sorghum.

Looking forward to having a go with this Briess stuff though, I might have to get some from the States though as it doesn't seem to be imported into the UK at the moment.

Hope you all had a good extra day off. Strangely no Queen's birthday here.

Cheers

Jay

Hi Jay. Our standards in Oz are the same usually but I find that products made from wheat still effect me. Glucose Syrup is the same. Although I haven't been diagnosed with a wheat allergy only gluten. I still think I am allergic to wheat. Some distilled spirits effect me as well. They are gluten free apparently to.

Grant

I think I'm exactly the same way. Glucose from Wheat and some distilled spirits give me grief.

Well back to work, I have a the makings for 135 L of Gluten Free beer about to go through the centrifuge and the bloody thing has the wobbles – have to pull it down and restack the cones, dam they are finely balanced but it does 28,000 RPM so I suppose that's a good thing
M

Is that a commercial brew or just a private batch?

Also when I used to buy the syrup from brewers choice, it said on the tub "20ppm but will be 2ppm when brewed" or something to that effect.

All though the Sorghum is gluten free its grown in fields alongside other crops, inevitably there is some weed transfer, stray seeds from other crops that grow, get harvested and processed with the Sorghum. Same applies to all grain crops; Foreign Seeds is a stand part of any detailed malt spec, in this case they will contribute some undesirable protein.
When you make an extract from Sorghum (or any other grain) there will be some cross contamination and this is measured, as stated it may be 20 ppm in the concentrated extract, which exceeds the Australian requirement for Gluten Free, but diluted it is well under the acceptable level.

Is that a commercial brew or just a private batch?
I make GF Wort packs, at present on a small scale just for local demand, when/if they are ready to go commercial I will post in an appropriate Retail thread, frankly they are a major PITA and I need to speed up the process and get much bigger batches on the go to even think of taking them national.
If you are here you are probably just a capable as I of boiling and bittering your own syrup, but there are a lot of people out there that arent set up nor interested in all that mucking about and are just looking for a dump and stir solution thats more the target market.
MHB

Australian Standard is no detectable gluten and I think the measuring equipment can measure to about 5 ppm. So if it's made from sorghum and gluten (from any cross contamination) can't be detected then it's considered gluten free.

Good to see you persevering with the wort packs Mark!

Cheers, Andrew.

I make "GF" Wort packs, at present on a small scale just for local demand, when/if they are ready to go commercial I will post in an appropriate Retail thread, frankly they are a major PITA and I need to speed up the process and get much bigger batches on the go to even think of taking them national.
If you are here you are probably just a capable as I of boiling and bittering your own syrup, but there are a lot of people out there that aren't set up nor interested in all that mucking about and are just looking for a dump and stir solution that's more the target market.
MHB

Good luck with it. Had that option been around when I was starting out I would have jumped on it. Having done the gluten fresh wort kits through Ross, I can appreciate just how easy the process is for the home user.

Hi Grant,

I perfectly understand, I was diagnosed 5 years ago with Coeliac disease. I have 3 immediate family members in Oz also with the condition. Because of the different healthcare systems there are large differences in the way the condition is treated. For example once diagnosed in the UK you are kept under constant supervision by a gastrointrologist and dietitian. Initially reviewed 6 monthly and once stable annually, full sets of bloods etc. You are also able to access 1000's of gluten free 'staples' on prescription via your GP. Sadly beer is not considered to be a 'staple'

Back to the issue of sensitivity. Before the tightening of the international CODEX gluten standard (last year I think) I wasn't able to tolerate many so called Gluten free products, esp. the ones with CODEX wheat starch. Since the change I've been fine. This could be down to the new standard, but could also be down to other factors such as there seems to be a biological memory for other compounds associated with the offending proteins.

One significant difference seems to be the level of funding for good scientific research into the condition, recent research over here as found that many people with coeliac disease benefit from up to 50grms of GF Oats a day. Whilst I find this a bit much for me, I now use up to 10% GF oats in some beers. I have not had a problem with this. I don't know if GF oats are available in Oz.

As I said before, it's entirely down to what works for you.

CODEX standard is a international standard. Labeling laws are local although the EU of which UK is part, have unified labeling laws. 'Strict' may well just equate to 'we haven't done the research yet so lets be conservative in our approach'. For example I don't understand why the 65DE doesn't comply if it is entirely comprised of Sorghum.

Looking forward to having a go with this Briess stuff though, I might have to get some from the States though as it doesn't seem to be imported into the UK at the moment.

Hope you all had a good extra day off. Strangely no Queen's birthday here.

Cheers

Jay

G'day Jay

Can't get G/F oats in Oz because of processing. The law in Oz states the processers don't have to isolate oats from other gluten containing grains from transport to processing. Heard this on radio the other day. The lady mentioning it happened to get her oats from America where they have to.

G'day Jay

Can't get G/F oats in Oz because of processing. The law in Oz states the processers don't have to isolate oats from other gluten containing grains from transport to processing. Heard this on radio the other day. The lady mentioning it happened to get her oats from America where they have to.

Bythe way if anyone is interested I had a taste of the brew at 1.030. It tasted nice. It had a nice maltiness to it. I've already got the idea for a porter as well.

Grant

G'day Jay

Hi Grant,

It use to be the case here as well, but since the demand for GF oats was created there are now a few suppliers that have managed to overcome the crosscontamination and supply change issues. As in Australia they undergo testing to ensure they comply.

My local supermarket stocks two brands of GF oats in the 'free from' section. One is packed in holland the other comes in from the US. I'll have a look when I get a minute and see if you can get them online. I would be happy to send some over if you want to give them a whirl. Should be alright to send as they are processed food product, but it might be worth checking anyway.

Most oats in the UK are not GF.

I noticed that most research in Australia seems to be focused on finding a cure for coeliac disease rather than focussing on managing the condition for existing patients.

Jay

Latest posts

Back