Briess Sorghum Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No maltidextrin this time as the previous beers head retention got better and I'm looking for a lighter style ale with the honey in it.

I've done this one before

A bit of work required because you prime with pastuerised honey and sugar. A friend commented that it was similar to the honey wheats he tried in Germany, so maybe you could swap the US-05 for WB-06 (just an idea)?

Stingless Honey Blonde Ale
Batch Size: 6 Gallons
Original Gravity: NA
Final Gravity: NA
IBU: 24.9
SRM: NA
ABV: NA
Boiling Time: 60 Minutes
Primary Fermentation: 14 days @ 68 degrees
Bottling: Carbonated with 0.5 cup of honey

Ingredients/Instructions:
6 lbs Sorghum Extract (prior to boil)
0.5 oz Magnum Hops (60 Min)
0.25 oz Saaz (15 Min)
1 Whirlflock Tablet (5 min)
0.25 oz Yeast Nutrient (5 min)
0.25 oz Saaz (flameout)
1 pkg Safale US05 Yeast

Brewing notes: Converted from metric measurements rounded/estimated

Recipe source: gfhomebrewing.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=27

Link to when I did it.
http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com/2011_04_01_archive.html

Necro alert, hopefully the brewers in question are still around.

I want to do a Mark II on GF beer, but first an update for those who may want it (or not).

I brewed a GF beer with Sorghum extract (thank you craftbrewer), and a single 60 min addition of Willamette for a soft bitterness. Notto yeast, and it was drinkable.

But! It had this background flavour of burnt tyre. My mate who is Gluten Intolerant noticed it a little, and he was in his past life a TED drinker, so nothing glamorous. So I didn't brew anything akin to what I'd like to drink (something bombarded with C hops).

Fast forward almost a year. We went out for a quiet bevvy at Bitter Suite (excellent place), I had my usual types of beer (APA/IPA) and he Cider.

Gave him a smell of my third beer, which had Galaxy in it for certain, and likely a touch of cascade. He liked the smell of it and said that he really missed being able to drink beer. I told him, that if I was making a style like he smelled, then I could do a beer that would hide that burned tyre aroma.

So I'm going to have another attempt.

My extra question will be - Rice Malt Syrup - the white stuff. Is it fermentable? Can I use it? If I can use it to about 1/3rd the brew to back down that burnt tyre background, I'd go a long way to getting it sorted.

Given I work near enough to the Valley to walk in, I could obtain it readily from the Chinese grocer.

Not the Briess Brown Rice Syrup (as it apparently has a funny taste as well), but the White Rice Malt Syrup obtainable from Coles and the Chinese grocers.

I did google and found Briess (and the Sorghum), but not the White Rice that is used for chinese cooking/sauces, among other things.

I suppose the next question is - can you caramalise it? Reasons being, I could use golden syrup or belgian candi sugar to alter the colour to a more golden/copper/amber colour in line with the style, but if it doesn't have the caramel undertones (yes, I know belgian candi will provide some of that, but not all), it will taste like a dark coloured lice rager.

When i was thinking about gluten free brewing I was going to have a go at invert sugar like in the historic british ales and barclays.

Gday guys. I've been using the rice malt from the brew shop. Not sure if its the same one. 1 jar of thst and a cup of dark brown sugar gave my lager attempt a lovely pale ale fruity ness. So much so that the next one will be a pale ale. As for caramellising. Ive never tried it but have caramellised honey alot. It should work ok. Just remember that caramellising sugars (I have foind) can refuce the fermentability although not by a great lot. As for the burnt rubber taste. I think your stuck with it.

Thanks grant - you're a legend, and I was hoping you'd comment on this.

Bribie has pointed me to some pale, chinese rice malt and where to get it.

My only question with the rice malt from the brew shop 1. Is it grain and 2. If it is, how do you get saccharifcation, without mashing with a base malt?

I used table rice last time and stupidly didn't think that without a base malt, I'd get no conversion, because no mash.

I'd love to get this right, because 1. My mate misses beer (sometimes says "I'm sick of cider" and smelled a pale ale mine and sighed), and 2. He's been a great mate through a few issues lately, and I'd like to do something nice in return.

Goomba

Slightly off topic - Just a heads up really
Briess Sorghum malt is now available in 1.5 Kg Canisters like the rest of the Briess range, should be available where ever the rest of the range is stocked.
Pricing is also the same as the rest of the range so around the $13.50 to $14.00 for 1.5 Kg
MHB

Good morning guys. The rice malt from the brew shop is a liquid extract. I looked it up on the net a while back on how to make it and its just white rice grains that are mixed with a special mold/bacteria which breaks it down from memory. It went way over my head and I couldn't be bothered finding the mould in Australia.

I have used just plain long grain rice in a beer. I just boiled 3 cups of rice in 4 litres of water for half an hour. It turns into a gluggy starchy mess. Just strain off the grains and add to boiling wort. I have read on the net somewhere that its better to leave over night uncovered. I did do this as well another time. It did taste a little better but not much. Just remember that this takes alot longer to ferment as the yeast has to covert the starches and there's no A-amylase enzymes.

I've added two sorghum syrup recipes below that I reckon your mate might like. The second one, the American Pilsner doesn't have the burnt rubber taste. It is a little harder to do but (I am currently bottle conditioning one now) the effort is definitely worth the flavour.

Melb Bitter/VB/Any Australian commercial beer type brew.

3kg of sorghum syrup
75g of fuggles hop pellets
S-04 ale yeast
1 teaspoon of Irish Moss

Bring 8 litres of water to the boil and add 3kg of sorghum & 50g of hops. After 30 mins add 1 teaspoon of Irish Moss. After 50 minutes add 25g of hops. At 60 minutes turn off heat. Cool & strain wort into fermentation vessel. Add enough water to make 20 litres. Pitch yeast. SG 1.050 FG 1.010 5.1% Prime bottles with white household sugar.

American Pilsner.

3kg of sorghum syrup
1kg of frozen corn kernals
109g of SAAZ hop pellets
1 cup of honey
s-23 lager yeast
1 teaspoon of irish moss

2 days before brew boil 1 cup of honey with 1 cup of water for ten minutes. Let cool and put into a 3 litre sterilized juice container with enough water to make 2 litres. Pitch yeast, put a lid on bottle (I use oztops lid) and let yeast hydrate and grow. Check bottle regularly to release gas build up.

Brew day: defrost corn kernals, blitze in blender and mash in at 65c for one hour. Strain & add liquid to 8 litres of boiling water with 2.7kg of sorghum syrup & 53g of hops. After 30mins then add 1 teaspoon of Irish Moss. After 45 mins add 28g of hops. After 55 mins add 28g of hops. At 60mins turn off heat cool and strain into fermenter. Add enough cold water to make 20 litres. Pitch 2 litre yeast starter and ferment at 12c (this is a must). Takes about 3 weeks to ferment out. Bottle condition with 300g of sorghum syrup by adding it to 1 cup of water and boiling for 10 minutes. With a syringe add 5ml to a 330ml stubby. SG 1.044 FG 1.008 5.5% and no burnt rubber taste.

Sorry its so long winded but I hope it is of some help.

I have used just plain long grain rice in a beer. I just boiled 3 cups of rice in 4 litres of water for half an hour. It turns into a gluggy starchy mess. Just strain off the grains and add to boiling wort. I have read on the net somewhere that its better to leave over night uncovered. I did do this as well another time. It did taste a little better but not much. Just remember that this takes alot longer to ferment as the yeast has to covert the starches and there's no A-amylase enzymes.

Boiling rice and adding it to your beer without some kind of mash is just adding starch, which brewers yeast cannot metabolise by itself.

The uncovered overnight method probably gives you all sorts of enzymatic abilities, just like when lambic brewers get their yeast and bugs from the air using the same method.

Slightly off topic - Just a heads up really
Briess Sorghum malt is now available in 1.5 Kg Canisters like the rest of the Briess range, should be available where ever the rest of the range is stocked.
Pricing is also the same as the rest of the range so around the $13.50 to $14.00 for 1.5 Kg
MHB
That is really cool news.

No excuses for not brewing GF people!

Thanks grant - not long winded at all.

How did you get rid of the burnt rubber taste? It appears as though this a good, but from a practical point of view, normal extract recipe (aaah, those were the days).

Have you got an AA% on the fuggles or Saaz? I have some Willamette (probably about 1/4kg or so) in the freezer, which is american fuggles, and this would do well.

Last time, I made a recipe similar to your megaswill one - Wills to about 25IBU, sorghum and 1kg cooked up rice (my stupid fault for not breaking it down first). US05 - I'm wondering if the S04 might strip back some of the maltiness and therefore some of the burnt taste.

I ended up with that burnt taste.

I have some yeast balls from the chinese shop, which are for taiwanese rice wine - I'd say that does the starch-sugar conversion.

I like your second recipe.

My approach to this upcoming recipe will be to bombard it with C hops (aka, make an APA), to hide the rubber taste.

Goomba

LRG, good to hear you're trying to brew a good beer for your mate. Two issues I find with sorghum are:

* Sourness and
* Residual sweetness

Currently I'm trialing Calcium Carbonate to reduce that sourness and it's working really well. I'd recommend a teaspoon in the boil or post fermentation for a day or two before bottling.

The residual sweetness I counter with some type of simple sugar (white, brown, honey), although I recommend putting a few extra dollars in and getting some Belgian candy syrup from Ross.

If your friend likes galaxy I'd do a cascade bittered pale ale, with galaxy at 15 and 5. Too early with galaxy in the boil I find didn't go well with the sorghum. Also add half the sorghum at the start and half at the end. And use Fermentis Brand US-05

If you're going to the next BABB's meeting let me know as you can try some Orange Peel Pale Ale and All Chinook IPA there.

The guys from the Homebrewtalk website http://homebrewtalk.com/f164 have started putting together a gluten free brewing wiki http://glutenfreebrewing.wikispaces.com/

Commercial examples of gluten free beer I'd recommend for your mate to try are
Billabong Pale Ale (sometimes at archive)
Schnitzer Brau (Dan Murphys, this is a German Millet lager)
O'Brien Brown Ale (Can never find it on the shelves, but it's probably my preferred from their range)

LRG, good to hear you're trying to brew a good beer for your mate. Two issues I find with sorghum are:

* Sourness and
* Residual sweetness

Currently I'm trialing Calcium Carbonate to reduce that sourness and it's working really well. I'd recommend a teaspoon in the boil or post fermentation for a day or two before bottling.

The residual sweetness I counter with some type of simple sugar (white, brown, honey), although I recommend putting a few extra dollars in and getting some Belgian candy syrup from Ross.

If your friend likes galaxy I'd do a cascade bittered pale ale, with galaxy at 15 and 5. Too early with galaxy in the boil I find didn't go well with the sorghum. Also add half the sorghum at the start and half at the end. And use Fermentis Brand US-05

If you're going to the next BABB's meeting let me know as you can try some Orange Peel Pale Ale and All Chinook IPA there.

The guys from the Homebrewtalk website http://homebrewtalk.com/f164 have started putting together a gluten free brewing wiki http://glutenfreebrewing.wikispaces.com/

Commercial examples of gluten free beer I'd recommend for your mate to try are
Billabong Pale Ale (sometimes at archive)
Schnitzer Brau (Dan Murphys, this is a German Millet lager)
O'Brien Brown Ale (Can never find it on the shelves, but it's probably my preferred from their range)

Thanks spaced - sounds like you're pretty well exactly where I am.

I'd planned on using Belgian Amber Candi Syrup to assist fermentation and colour adjustment as well, along with either self-malted or shop bought clear rice malt, and 2.8kg sorghum syrup.

I'd planned on bittering to around 30 IBU with Chinook, Cascade and Centennial - but I'm going to have to do some calcs, based on what I expect to boil vs what water I'll put into it. US05 - I use it in all my APA.

Thanks also for the links. I'm unlikely to ever make it to a BABBs meeting, but if I did - I'd let you know and see what I can do.

I noticed billabong at Archive, but it was $35/6er - whereas Snitzerbrau and O'Briens are between $65-$80 a carton, which is a helluva lot cheaper. I might shout him a carton, whilst I get this sorted.

Yeah billabong is crazy expensive in brisbane. I bought it once in Perth for 20-25 a six pack. Not great but better. Definitely recommend trying one stubby of it though.

Fuggles was 4% saaz was about 3.5%.
I think the rubber flavour was removed either by priming with sorghum or by fermenting at 12c. It was probably both.

Just cracked a great treacle & honey porter i made and has now bottle cond. for a month. Tastes great. Used 2 kg of SS. 850g of treacle & 500g of honey. Absolutely lovely. Will put recipe on webpage when time allows. Until then check out my facebook page for a picture.

Back