Brewmate Software With Added Biab Support!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey Rob, what settings would you change to get the numbers closer?

cheers mate

Jim

Hey Jim,

I'm not to sure i would, I ended up with 29.5L @ the end of boil after losses to cooling/trub/hops/chiller I ended up with 23L @ 1.045
bang on what i was after. i have since tried to push the limits of my BIAB system using 13.5kg of grain & 35L of water in a 50L keggle,
2 hour mash, 2 hour boil and adding 280g of hops during the boil to end up with 23L @ 1.107, mind you eff was down 4% from my previous
standard batch but you get that with high gravity beers.

randyrob, thank you for the software. Is this metric only?

Hey Ultravista,

Nope - you can change units to Gallons, Ounces & Fahrenheit under Settings

Cheers Rob.

Hey GB,

Your not wrong! it was a spur of the moment brew and first thing i did was log into your site to order them
but they were out of stock :) so looks like your Mum has a bit of a back log of BIABers to please!

Rob.
Hi Rob
Mum has been ill for the last few months so I can t push her like I did before. She will only make them when she feels up to it.
Could have seen you right with a seconds bag though.
GB

Hey GB,

If you weren't married i'd come over there and give you a big kiss!

Love your work
Rob.

Hey Guys,

Just a quick FYI, i've had a heap of q's about the inbuilt timers in BrewMate and i will try to explain it a little.

Even if you use another Brewing Program as your primary software you can still import your Recipe and use the Timers/Alarms in BrewMate!

Timer1.jpg

Here i have opened Alex T's (Head Brewer from Little Creatures) Award Winning APA Recipe
I then click on Timers (Arrow pointing to it in Red)

Timer2.jpg

..and Click Start

Timer3.jpg

During the Mash or Boil when any Ingredients are required an alarm will sound with a pop up box letting you know what is required.

Simple Realy

Cheers Rob.

Hey Guys,

Just a quick FYI, i've had a heap of q's about the inbuilt timers in BrewMate and i will try to explain it a little.

Even if you use another Brewing Program as your primary software you can still import your Recipe and use the Timers/Alarms in BrewMate!

View attachment 43975

Here i have opened Alex T's (Head Brewer from Little Creatures) Award Winning APA Recipe
I then click on Timers (Arrow pointing to it in Red)

View attachment 43976

..and Click Start

View attachment 43977

During the Mash or Boil when any Ingredients are required an alarm will sound with a pop up box letting you know what is required.

Simple Realy

Cheers Rob.

Rob,
can these recipes in www.brewmate.net be downloaded to the Brewmate software ?
The screen shot you have shown can only be achieved if the boil time is set to 61 minutes, or am I wrong again.

Rob,
can these recipes in www.brewmate.net be downloaded to the Brewmate software ?
The screen shot you have shown can only be achieved if the boil time is set to 61 minutes, or am I wrong again.

Hey Nala,

Yes the recipes can be downloaded and loaded into Brewmate,
If you have a look at the recipes page http://www.brewmate.net/recipe
there is a "Save" column with a Blue Icon next to each recipe, you just need to click on that and it will save the recipe
to your computer for opening in BrewMate, We also have a live Twitter feed of the recipes ==> http://www.twitter.com/brewmate

I just set the recipe to 61 Minutes to show the screenshots as an example, The recipe was originally a 75 Minute boil but i wasn't
going to wait 15 minutes to take a screenshot of the 60 Minute Hop addition.

Cheers Rob.

Hey randyrob, thanks for the software, it looks great!

I typed out a long question for you but just before posting spied the "Lock Ingredients" button. Perfect thanks!

Hey Guys,

Just a quick follow up, thought i'd better put my money where my mouth is and Brew a batch of beer using BIAB BrewDay Mode and see how close i got to calculated figures, my results were BLOODY CLOSE! I'm not actually a BIAB brewer so this was a really interesting experience for me to compare to 90+ batches on a Traditional AG setup.

Betcha are now :icon_cheers:
How is the beer looking?

Sorry to hear about your Mum Nev, hope she's a lot better.

Rob I had trouble installing the ".NET" framework, it kept freezing - I'll reboot and try it again.

Cheers
BribieG

Woot

brewmate_software.JPG

Thanks mate

Edit: just typed in a recipe that I've also done on B.S. and BrewMate has predicted the amount of strike water to within a few ml. of what I normally use anyway for a 5K grain bill.... looking sweet so far :super:

One thing I like is that you can play around with hop additions and if you add a 60 min to the end of the list at the last minute, when you print out the recipe as a hard copy to take it into the brewery, it has sorted out and listed the additions in order of time. :icon_cheers:

A timer ! That's great, because Im always too lazy to dig mine out and rely on watching the clock on my PC.

Wondering if you plan to take into account the mash pH measurements for BIAB.

One thing I like is that you can play around with hop additions and if you add a 60 min to the end of the list at the last minute, when you print out the recipe as a hard copy to take it into the brewery, it has sorted out and listed the additions in order of time. :icon_cheers:

Hey Bribie you can click on any of the titles for columns and it will sort it in the order you prefer makes it good for my OCD :D . Ingredients should be listed in certain orders and thats the way it must be.

Cheers

Hey randyrob, thanks for the software, it looks great!

I typed out a long question for you but just before posting spied the "Lock Ingredients" button. Perfect thanks!

Hey Xarb - ahh yes, gald you worked it out!

Betcha are now :icon_cheers:
How is the beer looking?

Sorry to hear about your Mum Nev, hope she's a lot better.

Rob I had trouble installing the ".NET" framework, it kept freezing - I'll reboot and try it again.

Cheers
BribieG

Hey Bribieg - Beer looks good, but tastes even better!

photo.JPG

Came out slightly drier than my usual mashing schedule but i guess that needs to be tweaked for the BIAB process,
also a slight bit of chill haze that I don't usually get but that doesn't detract from the flavor and I can perhaps improve that too...

Tempting! i'll see how my American Barley Wine comes out before I make the mad dash over to the method, it's tasting good out of the Hydro (1.107-1.018)

Woot

View attachment 44257

Thanks mate

Edit: just typed in a recipe that I've also done on B.S. and BrewMate has predicted the amount of strike water to within a few ml. of what I normally use anyway for a 5K grain bill.... looking sweet so far :super:

Good that you got it going and had a chance to have a play with it.

Thanks for trying that out - appreciate it.

Yes made way too many mistakes on Brew Day and left the 60 minute addition till last when reading a recipe printout - so it made sense to me.

A timer ! That's great, because Im always too lazy to dig mine out and rely on watching the clock on my PC.

Wondering if you plan to take into account the mash pH measurements for BIAB.

Yes gotto love the timer.

Hey Bribie you can click on any of the titles for columns and it will sort it in the order you prefer makes it good for my OCD :D . Ingredients should be listed in certain orders and thats the way it must be.

Cheers

OCD and Brewing are same of the one i think

Cheers Rob.

Echoing what others have said. This is a great program. Cheers, Rob.
John.

Gday Rob, been using brewmate since v2 i think. Although I'm 3V it's great to see BIAB added. Keep up the good work.
Cheers
:icon_chickcheers:

Great program Rob! Much appreciated :icon_cheers:

One question though. I've entered 4.0L/kg water/grain ratio in the settings but when i go to "Brew Day" to get my strike water volume and temp it's locked in at 6.20L/kg. Is there any way to change this?

Thanks

Darran

Great program Rob! Much appreciated :icon_cheers:

One question though. I've entered 4.0L/kg water/grain ratio in the settings but when i go to "Brew Day" to get my strike water volume and temp it's locked in at 6.20L/kg. Is there any way to change this?

Thanks

Darran

The default in this sense doesnt appear to remain locked and calculates based on the optimum grain amount to the amount of water then taking into account evaporation and batch sizes to make sure you end up with the right amount of liquid at the end of the boil. If you alter your amount of grain that number will decrease and visa versa. Im sure randy might be able to add a bit more but it makes sense when you think about it.

I understand it's giving total volume taking into account grain absorbtion and evaporation however i tend to mash at about 3.5-4.0L/kg (my understanding of optimum ratio) which usually gives me efficiency in the high 70's. When i have used the full volume to mash in i haven't gotten above 70% efficiency.

Anyway no big deal, it just seems like it gives you the option to enter your preferred ratio but doesn't transfer. Thought it might've been something simple to tweak.

Not meaning to sound like i'm complaining.

I understand it's giving total volume taking into account grain absorbtion and evaporation however i tend to mash at about 3.5-4.0L/kg (my understanding of optimum ratio) which usually gives me efficiency in the high 70's. When i have used the full volume to mash in i haven't gotten above 70% efficiency.

Anyway no big deal, it just seems like it gives you the option to enter your preferred ratio but doesn't transfer. Thought it might've been something simple to tweak.

Not meaning to sound like i'm complaining.

If you drop it over to All-grain it does allow so it must just be the BIAB locking it in. That way you might be able to transfer the figures over and change it :)

Back