Brewmate Software Noob

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesunsettree

Drink Drank Drunk
Reaction score
hi all

ok, so at the best of times i am a complete spaz. on the weekend i made a german style ale (ag/partial biab) - (thanks manticle - hope i didnt bastardise it too much) and i decided i would like to see what it looked like on paper (not literally), enter brewmate. because i am a numbnut i spent more time pissing about with the software than i did actually making the beer. anyway this is what i came up with, hypothosising a few things such as fg, brew temp etc. also dont really understand calculating efficiency (pls tell me :D ) , i know everyone will say read palmers book, i will (promise) i just dont have it yet.
any help :unsure: .

View attachment TickleMan_AleMo.txt
its name comes from manticle (first part) its an ale - my intials are mo . like i said i am a spaz :chug:
heres the recipe

1 kg pilsner malt
500g vienna malt
500g munich malt
200g choc/crystal malt

10lt of strike water at 72.5deg, dough in 66.5 mash finished @ 65.1, mashed 60min, 2lt bucket sparge at 75deg

Boil 60 minutes

Add 30g southern hallertau r@ 60 minutes
30g southern hallertau @ 20 minutes
15g tettnager at flameout
preboil og 1046, preferment (ldme added ) og 1052

Dissolve 1.5 kg ldme in hot wort and chill with lid on in a water bath.

Add to fermenter, top up to 20 Litres with water.

Yeast US05 starter @ 22deg

cheers
matt

hi all

ok, so at the best of times i am a complete spaz. on the weekend i made a german style ale (ag/partial biab) - (thanks manticle - hope i didnt bastardise it too much) and i decided i would like to see what it looked like on paper (not literally), enter brewmate. because i am a numbnut i spent more time pissing about with the software than i did actually making the beer. anyway this is what i came up with, hypothosising a few things such as fg, brew temp etc. also dont really understand calculating efficiency (pls tell me :D ) , i know everyone will say read palmers book, i will (promise) i just dont have it yet.
any help :unsure: .

View attachment 36227
its name comes from manticle (first part) its an ale - my intials are mo . like i said i am a spaz :chug:
heres the recipe

1 kg pilsner malt
500g vienna malt
500g munich malt
200g choc/crystal malt

10lt of strike water at 72.5deg, dough in 66.5 mash finished @ 65.1, mashed 60min, 2lt bucket sparge at 75deg

Boil 60 minutes

Add 30g southern hallertau r@ 60 minutes
30g southern hallertau @ 20 minutes
15g tettnager at flameout
preboil og 1046, preferment (ldme added ) og 1052

Dissolve 1.5 kg ldme in hot wort and chill with lid on in a water bath.

Add to fermenter, top up to 20 Litres with water.

Yeast US05 starter @ 22deg

cheers
matt

Hi Matt

I use BrewMate because it does everything I need and is free! It is continually improving with every version update too.

I typed in your recipe and this is the text file it generated:

TickleMan AleMo
Oktoberfest/Mrzen

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 3.944
Total Hops (g): 87.40
Original Gravity (OG): 1.052
Colour (SRM): 11.9
Bitterness (IBU): 38.3
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
1.006 kg Pilsner (23%)
0.503 kg Vienna (11.5%)
0.503 kg Munich I (11.5%)
0.103 kg Chocolate (2.35%)
0.103 kg Crystal 10L (2.35%)
1.726 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (49.3%)

Hop Bill
----------------
34.5 g Hallertau Tradition Pellet (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/l)
34.5 g Hallertau Tradition Pellet (5.7% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/l)
18.4 g Tettnanger Pellet (4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.8 g/l)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 22c with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Your output may be different if you are using a different version? I have got v0.95d (beta).

I don't know much about your method because I BIAB and my mind becomes a vacuum whenever I hear words like "bucket sparge" or "strike water".

The Efficiency in BrewMate refers to your brewhouse efficiency which you will figure out after a few brewdays if you don't already know. If you don't know it just use the default 70% and start by setting the Batch Size and Original Gravity to what you want. After you have entered your Fermentables and % weight, you can play around with the Efficiency. Raising it will decrease the weight of grain needed for the OG, lowering it will increase it etc.

kamino

Hey Matt / Kamino,

Tasty looking recipe there! I thought i'd have a play and punched it into BrewMate as well.

I've set it to calculate by "Grain Weight" because that's how Matt has quoted his recipe.

TickleMan_AleMo.PNG

As you can see i get an OG of 1.045 @ 70% efficiency. As Kamino suggested you'll need to take a hydro reading

and measure how many litres you have got, then workout your Brewhouse Efficiency from that.

Next time you are designing a recipe use your Calculated Efficiency that you got on the last batch

this will help get closer OG to what you are trying to achieve.

I've also noticed that you are doing a Partial Mash, I've made some more allowances in the next release of BrewMate to support this better!

Cheers Rob.

P.S. I've also attached the XML recipe as well

Attachments

• TickleMan_AleMo.xml
    4 KB · Views: 233
Hey Matt / Kamino,

Tasty looking recipe there! I thought i'd have a play and punched it into BrewMate as well.

I've set it to calculate by "Grain Weight" because that's how Matt has quoted his recipe.

View attachment 36232

As you can see i get an OG of 1.045 @ 70% efficiency. As Kamino suggested you'll need to take a hydro reading

and measure how many litres you have got, then workout your Brewhouse Efficiency from that.

Next time you are designing a recipe use your Calculated Efficiency that you got on the last batch

this will help get closer OG to what you are trying to achieve.

I've also noticed that you are doing a Partial Mash, I've made some more allowances in the next release of BrewMate to support this better!

Cheers Rob.

P.S. I've also attached the XML recipe as well

thanks guys,

i couldnt seem to add in grain weights and there wasnt a selection for it in the menu, so i uninstalled and reinstalled and i was able to select grain weight in the menu. will have a play now.

cheers
matt

ok, so now i think i got it.
does this look right? View attachment TickleMan_AleMo.txt

on the brew day page it says actual brewhouse efficiency 83.7%, (hope this isn't a completely dumb question but...) is this my brew efficiency cos on the front page it says 70% and when a tab it up to 83 it pushes the og up much higher than i actually achieved.

thanks in advance
matt

p.s. forgot to say in op that i biab'd (18lt pot), mashed with 10l (strike temp was about 2 deg too high and over shot mash temp by 1.5 - prob no biggie). then did a small sparge in a bucket with 2ish lts of water @ 75deg then squeezed , added ldme after boil and topped to 20l

Attachments

• TickleMan_AleMo.txt
    595 bytes · Views: 32
Hey Matt,

Sounds like you had a very successful Brewday and will be drinking the nectar of the god's in no time :)

With reguards to Efficiency on the BrewDay Screen, I see what you mean the extracts where throwing it

out a bit. I've sorted that and it's now on the website. Give it another try and let me know how you go with it!

Rob.

Hey Matt,

Sounds like you had a very successful Brewday and will be drinking the nectar of the god's in no time :)

With reguards to Efficiency on the BrewDay Screen, I see what you mean the extracts where throwing it

out a bit. I've sorted that and it's now on the website. Give it another try and let me know how you go with it!

Rob.

thanks rob,

had a play and i think its starting to sink into my thick head. in my limited experience this is a great tool - it gives u a straight forward list to go shopping and all ur brew day targets and notes and reminders, i am really looking forward to using this on brew day. two quick questions - could u pls explain what bu:gu and balance value is

thanks in advance
matt

Hey Matt,

No Probs, Happy to help

There is a really good primer on BU:GU Ratio and Balance Value HERE

Rob.

The brewday mode has lifted my efficiency a considerable amount. The water ratios has made my brewday alot easier. Now I just have to adjust my recipes to suit my new efficiency. Bloody brewmate B) .

Good work Rob. it is a very usable and user friendly system.

Cheers

Back