Brewing Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

Ive been brewing ales and draughts for a couple of months now and am going to try a lager, wahoo! Its summer here so i have a method of how to do this, including pitching yeast at ferment temp, diacytel resting period and racking the beer.

Can you please advise me if this process is ok or recommend information of how i can do this right, ie make great beer :)

I have a fridge to ferment in at 12C.

sanitize fermenter and equipment!store 22 litres of purified water at 12C for 24 hoursRemove label from Coopers European Lager and place into boiled water - after 5mins use can openerRemove label Coopers Light Liquid Malt and place into boiled water - after 5 mins use can openeradd ingredients to fermentor - make sure tap is closed.Add cooled water - 22lt to fermentor - stir thoroughlyPlace fermentor with lid on tight into fridge at 12CAllow for wort to reach ~ 12C before pitching ( within 2-3C will do ) Pitch Yeast - SafLager S23 - stir well. Airlock Lid and close fridgeFerment for 10-15 days at 12Cwhen bubbling has ceased and SG is at ~ 1020 remove to temp box and leave for 24-36 hours at 20C for diacytel restAfter Diacytel rest period - RACK to clearing cube for 3-4 weeks at 2CPrime Bottles ( longnecks ) & bottle - store in dark at 20C for 8 weeksPut beer into fridge - Drink Beer with Mates>
Regards Dan.

IMHO if you're going to pitch s23 at 12C I would use two sachets.

With any kit lager I would definitely use some 'finishing' hops to give more hop aroma. Say 30g Hallertau or Saaz or Hersbrucke boiled in some sugary water (to improve hop utilisation) for 10 minutes and strain into fermenter.
Also agree with the yeast quantities. If you use a sponsor at the top of the page you can get not only hops but silver foil "repacks" of yeast where you get more yeast for your buck than buying the Saflager sachets themselves. A great yeast is S-189 Swiss lager yeast.

With any kit lager I would definitely use some 'finishing' hops to give more hop aroma. Say 30g Hallertau or Saaz or Hersbrucke boiled in some sugary water (to improve hop utilisation) for 10 minutes and strain into fermenter.
Also agree with the yeast quantities. If you use a sponsor at the top of the page you can get not only hops but silver foil "repacks" of yeast where you get more yeast for your buck than buying the Saflager sachets themselves. A great yeast is S-189 Swiss lager yeast.

Hi, cheers for the input, i was considering some hops for sure, good call.

Can you conform that the rest of my process will be ok, in regard to the diacytel rest period and the racking>??

Latest posts

Back