Braumeister NEXTGEN Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,

thought I'd share the progress of my build so far.
I'm using a 32L pot with an 11L malt pipe and a 2.4kW element. The control system is a Brewtroller Lite. I still need to fit a thermowell but apart from that I'm almost finished. Next step is to learn how to do my first all grain brew.

Alex

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

BIAB............ say hello to the next best thing!

This is going to be a BIG thread i think :)

Im going to order my fittings, electronics and element next week and start getting prices on stands and malt tube materials :)

Ooooooo i cant wait to get this baby together

looking good Alex, I would like to see more about the brewtroller lite and your program for it.

Tony, the build is the best part I think, I love designing and making things and seeing them work at the end, keeps my brain busy

keep them coming guys

cheers matho

Hey Matho

http://www.brewtroller.com/ is a good place to start. The lite version is the latest evolution in Brewtroller systems but would be able to handle up to a 3V system. It's only been out for a couple of months and I've yet to work out how to program it for a single vessel set up. I know that Arnie has a Brewtroller so it's definitely possible. I'll keep you updated on how I go.

Where did you source your thermowell from?

Cheers,

Alex

Where did you source your thermowell from?

hehe i made it out of a 10mm stainless steel bolt

thermowell2_1.JPG

thermowell3_1.JPG

thermo2.JPG

I used a lathe to make this but i have made one with just a drill and bench grinder

cheers matho

Matho where did you get the element made up?
did they have to bend it to shape for you or was it flexible to do the turn around in the pot? Very interested in that element!
roughly how much did it cost if you dont mind my asking?

Cheers

Matho where did you get the element made up?
did they have to bend it to shape for you or was it flexible to do the turn around in the pot? Very interested in that element!
roughly how much did it cost if you dont mind my asking?

Cheers

I got the element made up by a company called Thermal Electric Elements, it was delivered straight and i had to bend it but im sure they could bend it for you, they are very helpfull.
I would say that bending it by hand is on par with bending 1/2 copper pipe by hand, for the large bends its not hard but for the tighter bends i would recommend getting a small pipe bender.

The cost for a custom made 316 stainless steel element delivered to my door was $172, it sound like a bit but i got exactly what i wanted and it was of excellent quality.

cheers matho

Cheers Matho,
unfortunately I have neither a bench grinder nor lathe... the perils of apartment living. However I do like the look of yours.

Komodo,

If you want to spend a little bit less on an element I posted some links a page or two back - I paid $93 for mine shipped (2.4kW 2000mm). Not as shiny as mathos though.

Been following this for a bit was wondering if anyone knew the dimensions of speidles 20l malt pipe? Great work btw matho, I can see this thread growing as others make their own, with individual innovations.
Mike

Ok.... question for those with one........

I have been thinking about what sort of clearance is good or bad for the false bottom, and top plates around the outside, where they go in the malt tube.

And...... Im thinking of getting SS mesh / cloth as a filter for the FB plates..... whjat do you recon would be a good apature?

Im thinking 500 or 750 micron ???

Thoughts :)

I had to watch the video to understand how this worked.

How much for the 200 Litre one with inbuilt cooling?

tnd

Ok.... question for those with one........
I have been thinking about what sort of clearance is good or bad for the false bottom, and top plates around the outside, where they go in the malt tube.
I can't tell you what is good or bad but I can tell you the 50L jobby has an element that is about 80mm up from the bottom and the bottom falsie in the malt pipe is about 100mm from the bottom. It does not seem to scortch the bottom plate or grain, I guess the pump moving the liquid helps. Every 10 minutes or so the pump stops for a break but I have not noted if the element stops during this semi-phase.
The 50L has two elements (3,600W in total) - one under the malt pipe (contained by it) and one in the wort between the malt pipe and the outer sides of the vessel (around the malt pipe). I do not know if the inside element under the malt pipe runs flat bicky or if the outer element has more amps running to it.

Not sure about your question that I have marked in red. Do you mean the diameter of the false bottom versus the diameter of the malt pipe? Or am I totally off track?

And...... Im thinking of getting SS mesh / cloth as a filter for the FB plates..... whjat do you recon would be a good apature?

Im thinking 500 or 750 micron ???

Thoughts :)
I can't help much with the right aperture, but I plan on using SS mesh for at least the top filter as well. Worst case, if it doesn't work well you can enclose it with a voile bag like what MHB (i think) sells for the BM - that's my plan.

I brought mesh in 5 different apertures and wire thicknesses to try:
#16, 0.028"
#20, 0.023"
#8, 0.063"
#10, 0.035"
#8, 0.047"
Also will be using some stainless to create a frame that the mesh will sit against to provide further support and rigidity, though I'm starting to worry about weight as I was planning to have a floating top filter like the BM....
Cheers,
Hosko

I etched some more boards last night for two reasons, one I have done some changes and i want to see if it works and two im putting together a pictorial on how to etch the boards

SANY1516.JPG

cheers matho

Love your work Matho. I'm considering one just for shits and giggles as I'm happy with my HERMS, but I love to build stuff. Was looking at the cheaper BrewTroller, but if you are going to provide a parts list etc I might go that way. Now to get it past the 'financial controller'... Ahem.

Cheers!

Love your work Matho. I'm considering one just for shits and giggles as I'm happy with my HERMS, but I love to build stuff. Was looking at the cheaper BrewTroller, but if you are going to provide a parts list etc I might go that way. Now to get it past the 'financial controller'... Ahem.

Cheers!
yeah nick I plan on putting together a parts list with reference to where i got it from hopefully tonight

cheers

yeah nick I plan on putting together a parts list with reference to where i got it from hopefully tonight

cheers

Legend!

Looking forward to this one...

I can't tell you what is good or bad but I can tell you the 50L jobby has an element that is about 80mm up from the bottom and the bottom falsie in the malt pipe is about 100mm from the bottom. It does not seem to scortch the bottom plate or grain, I guess the pump moving the liquid helps. Every 10 minutes or so the pump stops for a break but I have not noted if the element stops during this semi-phase.
The 50L has two elements (3,600W in total) - one under the malt pipe (contained by it) and one in the wort between the malt pipe and the outer sides of the vessel (around the malt pipe). I do not know if the inside element under the malt pipe runs flat bicky or if the outer element has more amps running to it.

Not sure about your question that I have marked in red. Do you mean the diameter of the false bottom versus the diameter of the malt pipe? Or am I totally off track?

You are totaly on track!
Im wondering how much clearance between the false top and bottom plates is acceptable inside the malt tube?

2 elements hey........ well thats a great idea and makes sence. I have been concerned about a lot of energy in the outer ring of liquid and uneven temperatures with the large diameter and a single draw point......... that would silve this problem!

Back to the drawing board :)

though I'm starting to worry about weight as I was planning to have a floating top filter like the BM....
Cheers,
Hosko

Ive thought about this and a bit of SS tube over the centersupport rod between the top and bottom plates should keep them seperated...... its just an idea at this stage :)

Got some things happening today with getting a malt tube and stand made.......... just need to order all the fittings and electronics on line now.

cheers

You are totaly on track!
Im wondering how much clearance between the false top and bottom plates is acceptable inside the malt tube?
2 elements hey........ well thats a great idea and makes sence. I have been concerned about a lot of energy in the outer ring of liquid and uneven temperatures with the large diameter and a single draw point......... that would silve this problem!
Back to the drawing board :)
Ive thought about this and a bit of SS tube over the centersupport rod between the top and bottom plates should keep them seperated...... its just an idea at this stage :)
Got some things happening today with getting a malt tube and stand made.......... just need to order all the fittings and electronics on line now.
cheers
Clearance between top and bottom filter plates? That is where the grain is. There is a rod through the middle and both plates and grain can slide up it during pump flow or down when you lift the malt pipe out. Still not following that train of thought. Why try to seperate the top and bottom plates, the grain does that?

The 50L also has two pumps so there are two draw points from the liquid outside the malt pipe - down into pumps - squirted up through grain in malt pipe - overflow back into space between malt pipe and vessell wall.

Happy to take & post pictures of any part of the BM you want. Matho appears to be replicating the system very well.

pictures of the elements and the inside base arangement would be awsome!

Latest posts

Back