Braumeister NEXTGEN Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jonasbegood said:
Ive played around with the numbers in the excel sheet.

I want to make 10L batches. I have a 40L 3-V system in the garage for summer use, but in the winter I could brew at my kitchen with a small system.
I can get somebody to produce the kettles as I want them. What do you think?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwwdul19p5tsw1a/Jonas%20volume%20testing.xls?dl=0
Matho's original clone at the beginning of this very thread, produced 10-12L he did it with cheap pots and all for under $500. I think going down the route of custom made kettles will blow out cost for no apparent gain. He used a 19l bigW pot and a cheap shop 12L from memory, I think I actually have both hidden in my shed some where for next winters project. Most have had difficulty tracking down suitable perf, supports and filter. Having said that I've had my malt pipes custom made, for 30L and 60L finished volumes, my problem was multiple malt pipes using the same filter setup.

Good luck with the build.
MB

(oh yeah if your near by I have a spare BigW 19L or 2, pm me if you like as I think they are no longer available)

Hello all,
Just starting to plan my build and would like feedback in which pump to use?
Chugger SS or the original Braumeister pump?
Do I need to build a support for a chugger pump?
Thanks,
Luis

The pump doesn't matter so much. The new kit is designed for a 240v pump socket, though you can add a 12v outlet. You will just have a spare 240v outlet.

Lael,
Can the kit work on 110V?
Also, I will buy the pump in the USA, so I can chose either one and their prices are similar.
Rgs,
Luis

Yep! Anything up to 240. The power supply does the conversion down and the Rest of the parts can do up to 240

So, on the pump, any recommendation?
As I'm planning a 20L system, I taught the Braumeister pump would be smaller, quieter and could be installed without any support.
Is the Chugger too loud and does it need to be properly fixed/level?
Thanks,

Hi guys, so I was ready for my brau clones first brew on the weekend. I have done many tests with just water the weekends prior and everything seems fine until this Saturday where all of a sudden the controller continues to show the temperature of 85c. I removed the probe and it reads 0c as it should, and I have never had this problem before, I have calibrated against my thermapen prior and it was working fine.

I tried a search with no luck so postponed brewing and assumed my probe had died, so I purchased another probe from ebay which arrived today. Soldering complete and again it's just showing 85c - see below pic.

Is there a simple solution? Any ideas?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411460076.034214.jpg

85C is an error temp. You will need to check your solders and the connection to your probe. Check the wire solders for any sockets you may have used in your temp probe connections.

Hmm, well I just assumed because I hadn't opened my controller in a month that there wasn't a problem. Opened it and saw this

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411464340.754293.jpg

Turns out that was the problem, thanks mate. First brew this weekend hopefully!

Hi guys, I have put my name down for the controller currently under design but I have not had a chance to start any of the build until last week. I have all the bits and pieces apart from the plumbing but that’s easy sorted. I am interested in some feedback regarding the cam lock idea, earlier comments in this thread expressed concern about channelling with the use of a small inlet. Is this a concern? I don’t plan on using a cam lock however the inlet with be much the same diameter.
Another question I have is the top plate aperture size, what is the largest aperture size you would want? I have access to some old lab sieves, If I cut the rolled edge of the sieve then put a silicone tube around the edge it will provide a very good seal between the sieve and the inside of the malt pipe and may not need any further fixing to hold it in place.
Cheers.

Recently bought an aluminium 37.8L pot with inner sieve from BCF eBay store for $83.99 including delivery. Have used it only once in a biab setup so far. Am using a 2200W kettle element out of a $9 Kmart cordless kettle and had to bash a dent in the sieve to make room for it. Just need to make my ardbir cct board and it will be fired up every couple of weeks I reckon. This is the pot http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Crab-Prawn-Cooker-37-8L.aspx?pid=215769#Cross not as cheap at the moment but it does come on special from time to time.

CoxR said:
Hi guys, I have put my name down for the controller currently under design but I have not had a chance to start any of the build until last week. I have all the bits and pieces apart from the plumbing but that’s easy sorted. I am interested in some feedback regarding the cam lock idea, earlier comments in this thread expressed concern about channelling with the use of a small inlet. Is this a concern? I don’t plan on using a cam lock however the inlet with be much the same diameter.
Another question I have is the top plate aperture size, what is the largest aperture size you would want? I have access to some old lab sieves, If I cut the rolled edge of the sieve then put a silicone tube around the edge it will provide a very good seal between the sieve and the inside of the malt pipe and may not need any further fixing to hold it in place.
Cheers.
You will definitely need something to lock that to plate in place. There is a lot of pressure under that plate enough to bend stainless steel u channel, so a tight fit won't be good enough.

Thanks for the tip Edak, I can easily weld on some stainless over center latches to hold down the sieve. I am still unsure of the sieve size to use though is 1.18mm aperture size too big for the top filter?

Thanks again Edak yes I am sure I have read the size for the original BM is 2mm however I have noticed that many people are using a finer mesh also. If this is required I can use a larger sieve size like 25mm hole size and place a fine screen under it. With you experience what way would you recommend, a top plate that is 1.18mm weave or use a 25mm square opening with an additional fine mesh?

10/14/2014 8:58:12 PM :
First batch and first all grain brew...
strike water in Braumiser ~6:45pm 14/10/2014
used hot tap water, boiling water and 75*C Urn water (only a small urn) - pretty close to mash in temp.
had issues with Ardbir... Grrr (I may attempt to re-write the code...)
used manual mode. cant rely on timer because it seems it only counts down when at or above target temp...
luckily I set the oven timer!
mashed out at 78*C ~15mins (same problem with timer above)
wasnt heating to Boil (dont know why) back to manual with pump to 85*C
all this time there is torrential rain with leaks in patio roof springing up everywhere (never been out here in the rain before) flash-flooding through the floor...
Miraculously where I placed the Braumiser it seems to be missing the leaks in the roof! Plastic bag over the controller...
10/14/2014 9:31:27 PM :
been boiling for 23mins... loving the smell of the Amarillo!
reallised I dont have any sub 100g weights for our antique scales...
looks like i will be scouring evilbay for some digital scales...
did the ghetto weighout of dividing the 100g bag by five (by eye), put two back in the bag, divided one fifth by four and put one back in the bag ending up with (hopefully) 15g, 20g and 20g...
10/14/2014 11:17:34 PM :
5kg of ice into fermenter to chill... ended up approx 20 deg C
only ended up with 16L in fermenter... :blink:
there was a fair bit left as trub, perhaps 4 litres? and obviously about 4-5L soaked up by the grain. started with 21 and sparged with about 6...
27-8=19
so 3 L to evaporation? BeerMate says 2.6L so not too bad!
will pitch as is and try again next time!
have samples aside for preboil SG and OG to test tomorrow! (hydrometer is downstairs in the garage, I am not going to brave the cold wet rain just for a gravity reading)
it just about bed time!

It almost feels like success!
:beer:

Nice work! The first brew is always an adventure. What were the issues with ardbir?

Hello iam a big fan of what you are all doing! I decided to try to build my owne system.
I would like your input on the main vassle dimension if they are any good.
I have a 70L 46,5cm in diameter and 40cm hight. What would the mash pipe demensions
be and how much beer would i be able to produce. I was playing around whit the calculator but iam no so sure
what i caculated. Thanks for all the input. Cheer from Europe!

Latest posts

Back