Braumeister NEXTGEN Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very impressive Matho. Would love to see a video of a brew.

cheers

Grant

i didn't want to make it too obvious mate :p

i will be post vids when i can

cheers steve

tanga,

here are some pictures of the inner pot

maltpipe1ahb.JPG

maltpipe2ahb.JPG

maltpipe3ahb.JPG

maltpipe5ahb.JPG

cheers matho

doing a trial run today all is going well im at the boil now but i will need to do a few things like make a new top filter plate as this one is too thin

SANY1550.JPG

:D

but it still produced clear wort

SANY1551.JPG

i am really happy how the rest of it performed ill fix the filter plate and then do another brew soon

cheers matho

sweet as. You could prob just reinforce that top filter with some steel rod?

I see my BIAB pots growing up into a BrauMiser one day...

Okay, so you draw the liquor up through the mash pipe? How? The top has holes in it, so presumably no suction? What is the silicon tubing around the hole in the bottom from? Or is that the top when working?

with a pump

finished8.JPG

the pump sucks the liquid from outside the malt pipe and up thru the middle

Tim i was thinking of doing that but i have a fair bit of 1.2mm stainless steel sheet under the house so i was thinking of making another one

cheers matho

Fair enough, so that pump went well? I'm thinking about getting one.

Very impressive, quite neat too- well done. :super: Ironing out these last few kinks should be easy.
One question about the pump, can it drain completely when you're finished? If not, perhaps it requires a sump plug sort of thing, even with a ball valve if you're looking to go a bit fancy, alternatively just upending it may be adequate?
Keep up the great work! :icon_cheers:

brilliant!

in my head i'm imagining oopmah loompahs operating your braumiser, no, make that 100's of them, in that same garden where your pic is taken. dancing around and singing songs, making sure everything is ok. the only thing is, what do they do with their now redundant mash paddles?

Fitty.......... you have me thinking, and that dangerous.

I have been reading a lot about the propper german units and i really like the idea of them....... and they look like very sterdy units. Buy you and I, as you know, are very alike.

For me its not about saving the cash........ while its an incentive :)..... its about building something yourself.

I like the idea of making my own cause i can make it how i want it, and to operate how i want. Im a bit tired of the old Bulls Head 3V rig and i have been toying with ideas on an upgrade for a while............ your effort has sold me!

Here are the beginings i have on hand to use........ 100L SS pot, March 815 (or one of those 12v ones you have, they look the goods) Allen bradley Micrologix 1000 PLC (might look for a Micrologix 1100 as they have ethernet to connect to a HMI later on) and/or a Eurotherm 2208e PID controller (good bit of kit!) and a SS enclosure for it. Thinking of putting it on a stand made from SS on casters for mobility

Braumiserparts1110151152x1728.jpg

Thinking of looking at a SSR to run the element and maybe one of these:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_pag...f47a5441c1c1660

Tony,

that looks awesome can't wait to see what you come up with.
If you need any stainless steel sheet i have alot of 1.2mm sheet, its from an old sink that was used for a photo lab, it was a big sink it measured about 2m by 1m and was about 30cm deep.
My wife and i are looking at going to the hunter for our wedding anniversary so i could drop some off then.

here is a photo of the top filter plate made out of some of that stainless steel, i made to fix the problem i had

SANY1548.JPG

even with the teething problems the brewing was really easy compared to my 3v system, I don't think you will regret making one

cheers steve

no........... when i think about the process....... it will be different but far simplified and faster..... easier to clean........ it makes sense!

i think the one main thing i will have to consider is the grain tube size............ it will have to hold the grain, and mash liquor with enough liquid in the rest of the vessel to cover the heating element.

Im thinking for an added touch i will get a nice big SS mixing bowl and mount it to the lid with a SS chimney fitted....... and im not paying almost $500 for that :)

Edit: Oh...... and im right for SS perf plate mate .... :icon_cheers:

Also thinking some fine SS mesh as the filter as aposed to the cloth????? link below....... they do down to 75 micron in 304 or 316 and i believe its not too pricey!

http://www.metalmesh.com.au/stainless-steel-mesh

Matho,
I can't believe how quickly you've turned this thing around - hats off :icon_cheers:

I'm really intrigue to learn more about the controller build side of things. I've just ordered most of the materials to build mine, but am still trying to figure out the controller side of things. At the moment I'm considering Brewtroller, but now want to investigate the DIY approach after seeing whats possible!

I might have to pick your brain in the next few months on this stuff - along with quite a few others I'd reckon. Congrats.

Cheers,
Hosko

Matho, Tony, all I can say is WOW!!
I hope blueprints will be available after the final versions are done, tested and any possible problems solved?

i think the one main thing i will have to consider is the grain tube size............ it will have to hold the grain, and mash liquor with enough liquid in the rest of the vessel to cover the heating element.
This is the part I've struggle with as well as I want to use standard SS pots, which means I'm limited to certain dimensions and volumes. Once you start to consider mash thickness (4.6-5.75 L/kg for 20L Braumeister), whether you want to do any sparging, potential system boil off rates, keeping the element covered etc it is complicated to determine the most appropriate sized malt pipe.

I'm thinking of going with a larger than needed pot for the malt pipe to increase surface area of the malt pipe and then drilling an overflow hole in the side of the pot where the wort can flow out of rather than having to flow over the pot rim - the top filter would obviously sit below the hole. The hole can then be sealed (yet to figure out how) if I want to brew a high gravity beer as the extra grain and mash liquor would be enough to fill the entire malt pipe and keep the element covered.

Cheers,
Hosko

Back