**boycott** Perth International Beerfest - Fraudsters!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting off topic but I don't think anyone from here was planning on going so this whole thread was probably a bit pointless but anyway...

Was it Stone & Wood Pale Lager? On tap it was OK but I've heard the bottles are less than impressive. Mrs Parmas is OK...if you want decent food and OK beers. They certainly don't seem to be going out of their way to get interesting beers on tap. The idea of an all "insert state here" beer bar is nice but you are limiting yourself.

I know the question wasn't to me but Matsos, Billabong & Jarrah Jacks have all been dissapointing. On the other hand Feral is gonna have at least 3 spots in my ten votes for The Locals Top 100 Australian Craft Beers.

I can't recall the beers that Parmas had (6 months is long time in beerland) but I did try and have ones I hadn't tried before. Agree with you about Jarrah Jacks although I recall that the beers at the brewery weren't too bad. Haven't tried Matsos or Billabong as I've become a bit beer shy. Been to Mash and Elmars once not long after both had opened and haven't been back so from my perspective at least it wasn't a "must do again" beer experience which is the only thing that's going to get me out to the Swan valley. Now, as for returning to Belgium or the US, I know it's a lot further but the rewards are plentiful and guaranteed :)

i never went when it was in handorf (underaged at the time), i can only imagine how awesome it would've been.

It was great when it first moved to Adelaide, but it became a victim of its own popularity. It seemed to become more about the booze than the shooting, It is a shooting festival after all.

I know the question wasn't to me but Matsos, Billabong & Jarrah Jacks have all been dissapointing. On the other hand Feral is gonna have at least 3 spots in my ten votes for The Locals Top 100 Australian Craft Beers.

Agree with most of your comments, though as Pbrosnan mentioned, Jarrah Jacks really wasn't that bad at the brewery. Think they should have gone the way of most micro's and abandonded the bottling until they had the rest sorted.
I hear lots of people talking Feral up, but really, none of their beers are worth flying across the country for.
Brew 42 in Allanson is meant to be average (haven't been myself, others have claimed it's great). Old Coast Brewery down in Harvey, haven't heard a nice thing about it, except apparently they realise their beers are not the best and are working on it. The rest are doing OK, but not amazingly.

Agree with most of your comments, though as Pbrosnan mentioned, Jarrah Jacks really wasn't that bad at the brewery. Think they should have gone the way of most micro's and abandonded the bottling until they had the rest sorted.
I hear lots of people talking Feral up, but really, none of their beers are worth flying across the country for.
Brew 42 in Allanson is meant to be average (haven't been myself, others have claimed it's great). Old Coast Brewery down in Harvey, haven't heard a nice thing about it, except apparently they realise their beers are not the best and are working on it. The rest are doing OK, but not amazingly.

I certainly wouldn't fly across the country just to drink Feral's beers but as Sinkas pointed out earlier it's easier to get Feral's special/limited beers at The Local in Melbourne than any pub/bar in Perth. In 2009 they had Hop Hog a few times, Razorback Barleywine, Boris Imperial Stout & Fanta Pants. Coming soon will be Double Dry Hopped Razorback & the various oaked and "bugged" beers.

I certainly wouldn't fly across the country just to drink Feral's beers but as Sinkas pointed out earlier it's easier to get Feral's special/limited beers at The Local in Melbourne than any pub/bar in Perth. In 2009 they had Hop Hog a few times, Razorback Barleywine, Boris Imperial Stout & Fanta Pants. Coming soon will be Double Dry Hopped Razorback & the various oaked and "bugged" beers.

The only beer from Feral I've seen outside the Feral Brewery itself is the Belgium White. Such a shame that the pubs constantly have the same stuff on tap instead of a bit of variety. I guess the punters love their Carlton Draught and BUL Stella.

The problem with Perth is the majority of the places are owned by Coles and Woolworths(ALH), and those that aren't, could care less about beer, and just want the bottom dollar.

Then you have Clancy's on Canning Bridge which is run by someone, who I have been told, doesn't care about beer. And really, their tap selection (and the fact that last time I was there, five of the taps were out), pretty much shows that.

There be a Taxi waiting out front Churchys for all who wish to get shit face :D

My local the Scotto keeps a good range on tap to keep me happy and a reasonable price.

The problem with Perth is the majority of the places are owned by Coles and Woolworths(ALH), and those that aren't, could care less about beer, and just want the bottom dollar.

Then you have Clancy's on Canning Bridge which is run by someone, who I have been told, doesn't care about beer. And really, their tap selection (and the fact that last time I was there, five of the taps were out), pretty much shows that.
Talking about liquor stores, I've found that the one in Preston Street, Como has lifted it's game considerably. Big range of Belgians, some that I hadn't seen outside of Belgium (Witkap Pater Trippel for instance). Also some US that I hadn't seen here (Saranac) and a big range of UK ales. I was in there last night, young bloke walks in, doesn't glance at this amazing range of beer. Heads straight for the fridge and grabs a 6 pack of Carlton draught. I mean you'd think he'd at least have a look??

Talking about liquor stores, I've found that the one in Preston Street, Como has lifted it's game considerably. Big range of Belgians, some that I hadn't seen outside of Belgium (Witkap Pater Trippel for instance). Also some US that I hadn't seen here (Saranac) and a big range of UK ales. I was in there last night, young bloke walks in, doesn't glance at this amazing range of beer. Heads straight for the fridge and grabs a 6 pack of Carlton draught. I mean you'd think he'd at least have a look??

Yeah right!

We have a huge range of beers aswell. Close to 300 specialty beers.

"Have you guys got Bintang?"

"No, we don't carry Bintang."

"Oh, and you say you carry the world's best beers!"

Really... I mean really.

Well you at least carry the 'King of beers' don't you ?

Hi everyone,

thanks for the comments, AND ideas what TO GO TO!! lol.

***HEADS UP!!***

It is VERY interesting as I have been in touch with not only council, but police and RGL (Racing, Gaming and Liquor), the last of whom know NOTHING about this event!

From what RGL have told me, the promoters/organiser of this event should have applied for a licence and to date RGL has not seen any application.

RGL have expressed also serious concerns should they get an application for this event to serve liquor due to the substantial shortfalls of last year.

Surely this is a very bad sign already for anyone involved and for anyone who has given them money!!

Yes I heard from a brewer saying they tried to fleece brewers $10,000 last year.

FYI, there are a very small handful of brewers who are even aware of their product being sold at this event as I have found out after alerting them to last years debacle. It would seem that 80% or more of the alcohol being sold is on a Sale or Return arrangement with a local bulk supplier. You may also note aside from the more mainstream ranges, most of the craft side is imported (UK).

PS - gutted about that Beer Festival Australia delay!!! I happened to be in Sydney for that weekend and planned to attend. I contacted the organisers direct and James from BFA seemed very fair dinkum about the delay. He was genuinely disappointed at the delay which seemed solely down to resident and council approvals, which unfortunately now after the delay is a formality.
It sounds excellent though, a TRUE craft area predominantly of aussie craft brewers, a few mainstream, international section and now homebrew area, with ACTUAL decent entertainment line-up. They have a number of brewers not up on site due to the delay, BUT wow if what he says is true, awesome day!
I WILL BE GOING TO THIS ONE!! :chug:

http://www.beerfestivalaustralia.com.au/

I WILL BE GOING TO THIS ONE!! :chug:

Hmmm, maybe I've had my head in the sand but was completely unaware of this.

That list of beers/breweries (or more accurately beers from contract producers) doesn't particularly inspire me given the other possiblities from NSW based micros. Put together the sort of lineup that Gerard had at Flemington last year and then you'll be talking.

Hmmm, maybe I've had my head in the sand but was completely unaware of this.

That list of beers/breweries (or more accurately beers from contract producers) doesn't particularly inspire me given the other possiblities from NSW based micros. Put together the sort of lineup that Gerard had at Flemington last year and then you'll be talking.

@floppinab

haha, yes I agree in part. However as mentioned they have alot more brewers under wraps. From what I understand they are confirming a new date with the venue, re negotiating the original contracts with the brewers and targeting new brewers for the international and homebrew sections. Sorry I was just going on what WAS up on their website, since the delay it seems some of the content has been understandably removed until a re-launch.

If anyone is interested, just join their database, they seem to keep everyone up to date through that.

Enjoy your summer!

Colin

Hi everyone,

thanks for the comments, AND ideas what TO GO TO!! lol.

***HEADS UP!!***

It is VERY interesting as I have been in touch with not only council, but police and RGL (Racing, Gaming and Liquor), the last of whom know NOTHING about this event!

From what RGL have told me, the promoters/organiser of this event should have applied for a licence and to date RGL has not seen any application.

RGL have expressed also serious concerns should they get an application for this event to serve liquor due to the substantial shortfalls of last year.

Surely this is a very bad sign already for anyone involved and for anyone who has given them money!!

Yes I heard from a brewer saying they tried to fleece brewers $10,000 last year.

FYI, there are a very small handful of brewers who are even aware of their product being sold at this event as I have found out after alerting them to last years debacle. It would seem that 80% or more of the alcohol being sold is on a Sale or Return arrangement with a local bulk supplier. You may also note aside from the more mainstream ranges, most of the craft side is imported (UK).

Jesus Christ mate, you seem pretty intent on making sure this event fails!!! I can't help but wonder why, who you work for, why you have popped up on this forum soley to tell us about how shit this event is going to be...

If there is any truth to your discussions with RGL I'm pretty sure the event won't be allowed to go ahead, since they are now aware of a major event scheduled without the appropriate licences... personally I think you might be making up porkys to push your adgenda of bringing down the event.

Jesus Christ mate, you seem pretty intent on making sure this event fails!!! I can't help but wonder why, who you work for, why you have popped up on this forum soley to tell us about how shit this event is going to be...

If there is any truth to your discussions with RGL I'm pretty sure the event won't be allowed to go ahead, since they are now aware of a major event scheduled without the appropriate licences... personally I think you might be making up porkys to push your adgenda of bringing down the event.

@whitegoose

Well whitegoose, perhaps one day when you are a family man and you go along to an event and have what happened to us and our friends you will understand! Sometimes you have to learn to stand up and fight! Not get done over and just lie down and take it. Lying down and taking it, forgetting about it is EXACTLY what people like the Perth Intl. Beerfest promoters rely on.
Basic figures based on 5,000 people attending last year and ($25 entrance = $10 cup) means these guys got away with $175,000 of Perth peoples/families hard earned money for NOTHING. No doubt is was way more than this considering this doesn't take in to account any drink and food sales, maybe money from stalls and sponsorship.

I CAN'T believe anyone could not understand where I, and actually ALL the other people on various sites are coming from.
Why would I not come to a site like this to try and warn people, and of course see what others think and ARE saying.

P.S
You have me confused with the promoters of the event - A LIAR I AM NOT!

e-mail from RGL. (obviously I can not publish contacts name, BUT I SWEAR this is fully legit and was received today)

"This Department is responsible to consider applications for liquor licences for such events. Our concerns are to ensure that the promoters of such events have the necessary approvals from venue owners and local government authorities to conduct the event and that the event organisers have adopted management practices that result in the responsible service of alcohol. The issue of a liquor licence by this Department does not indicate that the Department supports the event or the promoters organising the event.

To date no application has been received by the Department for an event of this nature for 2010."

Latest posts

Back