Beerfest 2012 Is Upon Us! 10th-11th Feb 2012. Entries Now Open&#33

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Take me down to Diacetyl city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty!".

Had to be Diacetyl caused by oxidation or bottle infection comparing from when I tasted it at your house and after stewarding it for the judges.

for us of those who can't bottle we need to be able to enter kegs :)

And for those who judged my APA (manticle, maple, ??) all said good beer but wrong category, it was a NS Summer Ale, thought I'd throw it in something, maybe should have put it in as an ESB
They (the judges) even tried to send it back to the stewards, but you'd entered the category pretty-clearly on the website, so it had to be judged where it was entered.
for us of those who can't bottle we need to be able to enter kegs :)
Funny you mention that ... just keep in mind that bottles/kegs are not returnable and the stewards get first pick of the 'empties'. ;)

And for those who judged my APA (manticle, maple, ??) all said good beer but wrong category, it was a NS Summer Ale, thought I'd throw it in something, maybe should have put it in as an ESB

Definitely more like an English pale (and a nice one) than an esb. As wolfy said we checked to see if it had been entered correctly.

I liked it - funny, given I'm not into Nelson Sauv.

Pretty happy with my run although no placings. Agreed with most of the judges comments and although I never picked up the butyric character in the ESB, two of the judges did so I'll take it as present.

Saison (highest placing at 5th) was indeed a bit bitter and pale as I forgot to fit my kettle tap when draining first runnings so I got a weaker, more bitter and paler beer (still made up to full volume).

Biere de Garde I thought better of as did evidently the guy who gave it 42 then marked it down but that's why you have multiple judges.

Bo pils needs massive work - nice summer drinker but I'm determined to get that malty character without using spec malts. Will keep trying.

Happy with 7th for EIPA - next time I'll try and use a fresher example. Just had some left over from the case swap.

Nice to be a part of the weekend and a big thankyou to Andyd, bitter and twisted and Peter (and anyone else too - just know those guys looked after food, accommodation and general good stuff and tend to give a lot quite often.

Latest posts

Back