Quantcast

Bottling Mead

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Jeff_beazley

Reaction score
Hi,

Question of bottling a 5l demijohn of mead - would it affect the final product if I half full 750ml bottles?

Cheers,

Jeff

pmunny

Reaction score
my presumption would be yes due to oxidisation but happy for others to tell me i'm wrong....

barls

causer of chaos and mayhem
Reaction score
why not just use stubbies. ive just done a demi of mead into 500mls worked fine. id ether fill the bottle or leave it.

Fat Rocky

Reaction score
I do not like to leave more than 2cm space in the neck of the bottle. The space is called ullege. If you have a half bottle use a 330ml beer bottle.

labels

Reaction score
Oxidation can be a problem OR a deliberate part of the taste profile. For example, sherry is a deliberately oxidised wine and tastes really nice. If your mead is sweet and high in alcohol it may actually benefit from oxidation but if it's a fresh, low alcohol type it will probably destroy it. If that makes sense.

Steve

Deep End

Reaction score
Just thought I'd bring this old post back to life with a question.

Whats the preferred type/colour bottle for Mead?

From what little research I have conducted, old white wine bottles and corks seem to be the best method for long term maturation?

Thoughts, experiences, ideas?

Cheers

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Reaction score
I use old wine bottles and synthetic corks. Seems to work fine.

I tend to use white wine bottles (pale green) rather than the darker ones and I even occasionally use clear ones. Doesn't really seem to matter.

The synthetic corks are easier than the "real" ones and more consistent. You need a good corker though. Those double lever types just won't push them through.

Cheers
Dave

AntonW

Reaction score
use nice small beer bottles with crown seals. it's a good way to bottle aged mead even if you aren't running short.

edit: Keep it in the demijohn as long as you can. Someone told me that the conditioning process happens better on a larger scale. Maybe because of the amount of yeast?
How you store your mead is probably more important than the bottles you store it in.

edit2: got confused by the new question... mixed 'em up.

Mr. No-Tip

Reaction score
I've got a bunch of vintage coke bottles and regional soda bottles. They look great with mead in them. :)

Latest posts