Fermenting Mead with plastic wrap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colinre

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm about to do my first fermentation and I chose to do mead. I found a really good recipe that just uses a loose lid over the water, honey, and yeast to let the CO2 out. I was curious if I could just do the loose lid (it's a glass container) or if I should use cling wrap? And if I did use cling wrap how often should I change it? I'm only looking to do about a month fermentation of about 6 litres of mead for me and my friends around New Year's. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Yes, you can definitely do that. You just want to make sure there is a good seal around the edges to keep bugs out. It will balloon out a little bit, but the gas will find a way out. You can secure it with the seal from the lid of a fermenter, or a large rubber band.

I covered all my fermenters for years with 2 layers of cling film during fermentation (threw away my lids and airlocks years ago, got clogged with too many kittens). Never had an issue, and found them to actually seal better than the lids that come with the fermenters.

Yes, you can definitely do that. You just want to make sure there is a good seal around the edges to keep bugs out. It will balloon out a little bit, but the gas will find a way out. You can secure it with the seal from the lid of a fermenter, or a large rubber band.

I covered all my fermenters for years with 2 layers of cling film during fermentation (threw away my lids and airlocks years ago, got clogged with too many kittens). Never had an issue, and found them to actually seal better than the lids that come with the fermenters.
Thanks for responding, I plan to do a small fermentation for about a month, how often should I change the cling wrap?

Personally I wouldn't change it at all. It is relatively sterile (given it kind of heat sterilised anyway), and the underside will stay clean if you keep it sealed. I would tear off about 40cm of the wrap and toss it, then use 2 layers stretched over the fermenter.

Just make sure you don't open and close it unnecessarily.

JD

Back