Biabgs Brew In A Bloody Great Sheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna choke u all with my cotton voiles :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Cleanup was spectacular, just tipped into garden bed, shake and the sheet was almost clean, I'll give it a quick perc soak then rinse.

This is the only advantage I can see with this method compared to a bag. Can you summarise your thoughts now you have done a batch, on BIAB vs BIABGS?

The description of the method is not accurate, the sheet really isn't that great, it's ok, but not bloody great

curious...didn't you sell all your bags and whatnots, proclaiming brew-in-a-notherbucket or something to be heaps bestest?

do rate the the peginator system though...i use a foldbackclippythatistoleoffthemissus system, but i don't think it will catch on

I use the small size bulldog clips from wherever you buy stationary. the little arm things fold down and the lid sits straight on top.

What were the benefits you found of using the pump? Did it increase your efficiency at all? And did it help to evenly distribute your mash temp, especially when applying extra heat?

Main reason for the temPerature consistency, not really for efficiency. All of my biabs cOme out at about 75% (dont even check them now). Might do a check now with the pump.
I just have 1/2" copper tube in 1 coil at the bottom to keep the bag spread out, and a small elbo to shoot the flow upwards. I use the drain tap as a flow control. Mk2 will have multiple jets in the bottom to try and keep as much grain as possible swirling.
Can post a pic of my awesome pipework design if you like :)

I don't know about you guys, cutting circles, hemming stuff, burning edges with your fancy "Lighters" or whateveryacallem. I just got meself 3 or 4 meters of good old aussie curtain material (none of this la di da imported swiss stuff) cut the bugger in half with a knife and BAM, 2 beautiful brew sheets. Going strong on the first one for 20+ batches now and no sign of failure or any poofy fraying, and I've got a spare for if I get so excited I want to brew two batches at once!
Was just tying around the pot rim with some cord, which I then used to tie up the bag before hoisting, but I've recently upgraded to an occky strap and now tie up the edges with the same rope I'm hoisting with.
Best bit is cleaning. Dump out the grain on the garden, peg up ol'mate sheethead on the line and out comes the hose to blast off the leftover grain, much eaisier to peg up a square than a circle.

I stopped dumping grain on the garden. Ended up with a mouse plague. Once they find out that there's fresh grain the the house ... you're in trouble. Ended up having to fiberglass a hole where the hotwater heater power cables went through the wall because I simply couldn't get them all.

Now I gets me a shopping bag, put the grain sheet full of spent grain in the bag, then simply pull the sheet out leaving the grain in the bag. Tie it up and put it in the wheelie bin.

That's what I do too Nick, couple of layers of shopping bags and in the bin.

+1 to the mice in the vege garden

grain goes to neighbours chooks.

something nice about being able to use an occy strap in the brew process, a bit like a milk crate,

thats why i dont like factory acid, they dont use milk crates...

no sign of failure or any poofy fraying

So youre saying that a completely unavoidable act of physics when an unhemmed fabric is put in the wash a few times is somehow behaving in a homosexual manner ? and by logical deduction, you consider using a sewing machine or fancy lighter to be more blokey, as this step is taken to avoid that poofy fraying?

Yours was quite the unusual statement.

2 beautiful brew sheets

You can butch it up a much as you like, youre still making beer in wedding dress material. Ya big pansy :lol:

Bribie racking to cube without any hose OH NOZ

well spotted...
seems he's not quite the complete legend any more...

:)

Hot side aeration? Tooth Fairy? Easter Bunny? Spontaneous combustion of fat people?

Never bothered me, although it could be an issue if I were bottling 300 hectolitres and sending it off to sit in a warehouse in Perth for a year. The old time breweries would splosh hot wort around like there's no tomorrow and even with beers that had to travel, I'm old enough to have personally drunk Pilsner Urquell cooled using a coolship. :icon_drool2:

Here's the Urquell one in use until recently until SAB Miller dumbed down the brewery.

coolship_urquell.jpg

Advantages of BIABGS - $8 and quick cleanup. Otherwise same as BIAB. Possibly longer lasting as no stitched seams to come apart.

I'll email rob about that glitch in the program, has happened a couple of times and as pointed out seems to be related to the FG calculation.

Advantages of BIABGS - $8 and quick cleanup. Otherwise same as BIAB. Possibly longer lasting as no stitched seams to come apart.

Any disadvantages ?

The quick cleanup is a winner IMO. Post your sheet's dimensions, (and whether you think largest or smaller might have been better) I'm going to give this a go for interest's sake.

Secure using the pegginator system and mash in.
If you deploy the pegginator system in conjunction with silver foil (hats allowable) then Brads lawyers will have a piece of your arse ;)

Latest posts

Back