Biabgs Brew In A Bloody Great Sheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
My bucket in urn system is going well, but I still had a hankering to do BIAB - you know it just didn't feel right not having a lovely hot squishy bag to cuddle up to. However Darren's recent posts have been haunting me. How stupid of me to realise that - despite several years of successful brewing, several thousand dollars in prizes thanks to our excellent BABBs club, and a very welcome champion lagermaker's cup awarded for 2011, what I really need to do, as suggested by our long serving forum member, is to:

• Insert a length of copper braid into the urn
  • mash in the urn
  • drain the wort into a couple of buckets
  • sparge using hot water from a third bucket, (up to 4 vessels so far)
  • carry the urn full of wet grain over to the compost, tip it out
  • wash out the urn and clean the element
  • remove the braid
  • carry it all inside, pour the by now cooled (and enzyme zapped) wort into the urn
  • reheat
  • clean out the plethora of buckets already used
  • hope that by this stage the wort still remotely resembles the original recipe.......

How could I have been so blind as to deny the simplicity and speed of Darren's method, the lack of messing around, the self evident rightness and centrality of the Holy Braid in the inherently hierarchical map of the Brewing Universe?

So, finally compliant and humbled, I headed off to Masters to get some braid (whatever that looks like). However on the way I saw Spotlight and remembered that I needed some stuff for my Friday Quilting class - and there it was, a roll of lovely Swiss Voile - so I bought a couple of metres. The braid (not to mention the Lousiana gold lamee bows and Kentucky organza triangles ) now forgotten, I rushed home excitedly.

It occurred to me that whilst a bag is all well and good, an even simpler system would be a big circle of voile, hemmed around the circumference to avoid fraying - hoist her with a hangman's noose and the cleaning couldn't be simpler, just tip into compost, then flap- flap and basically a grain-free sheet ready to stuff in the bucket o' perc, rinse out later and pin on line. No weak seams and as perfect a tear-drop shape as you could wish for.

I took a fairly accurate stab at cutting out a circle, then tackled the Janome for the first time, pretty scary and I wouldn't pass dressmaking 101, but good and cheap result, around $8 all up. I'll give it its maiden voyage this afternoon with a Viennale B)

sheet_1__Large_.jpg
sheet_2__Large_.jpg
sheet_3__Large_.jpg
sheet_4__Large_.jpg

BIAB will never take off.

By the way, what are those things to the left of the second photo? They must be from your days as a braid-brewer, hey?

all been done before... pfft... just get your drill out and some copper tubing and some solder and a hacksaw and cut a million bloody slots and a tap and buy an esky and make a manifold an make sure it doesn't get clogged and don't drain too fast. Couldn't be easier

That's from my failed "Brew in an embroidery box" experiment.
Bag, bag? I see no bag :p

BIAJ - Brew in a Janome....

There is every possibility that the_new_darren is senile and hence it wouldn't be right to pick on him.

I just hope in 50 years when I'm his age people aren't mean to me whenever I get stuck in an infinite loop.

I'm waiting to see if the lip of the bag falls in the mash, not having a drawstring there. I suppose you could 'occy strap it to the kettle.

BIATCHE - Brew in a tidy, circular, hemmed eiderdown

Once a jolly biabman camped by a urnest urn
Under the shade of a cool shed roof,
And he sang as he watched and waited till his kettle boiled
You'll come a-Waltzing new_darren, with me

BIASwag is the proprietary domain of the shareholders of Nick JD Slaphappy Brewing Incorporated Pty Ltd. :D

BIAS :)

At least there are no seams to pull!

So, end results of Bribie's path to absolution... He got rid of the draw string ;)

Can you post a picture of the bag hanging full of warm grain when you do it? thanks :)

Can you post a picture of the bag hanging full of warm grain when you do it? thanks :)

I've used a circle of voile (swag) without a single sewed stitch since day dot. Works a treat - wind the rope around twice and then a reef knot. Highly recommended.

IMG_0545.jpg

There is every possibility that the_new_darren is senile and hence it wouldn't be right to pick on him.

I'm started to think that about another member (not TND) being genuinely retarded, with serious learning disabilities.

Anyway, who was the old Darren, and why do people get so annoyed with him ? I reckon he's (TND) spot on about at lest one thing he brings up on the board - that sadly many refuse to acknowledge

Whatever. Roll on, Circle Man. Bribie made room in his garage by downsizing..... so away with the drawstring, he's got a cat to swing.

I've used a circle of voile (swag) without a single sewed stitch since day dot. Works a treat - wind the rope around twice and then a reef knot. Highly recommended.

I am sure this has been covered previously. Is it ok to use a blue or red bucket instead of a green one?

I am sure this has been covered previously. Is it ok to use a blue or red bucket instead of a green one?

Only if you are wearing your protective crown of braid may you risk invoking the wrath of The Brewing God by using non-green buckets.

Back