Biabgs Brew In A Bloody Great Sheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grain sacks are water proof right?

Brew in a grain sack?

zero vessel brewing...

Like it ! Mash in the bag, cut a corner off and bottle the wert with some hop pellets, microwave the bottles for 20 minutes, cool down, add yeast and oztop them.

Ok less of this gay shit, let's get this happening (would have done it earlier but my LOTR Extended Blu Ray box set (n discs where n is a large number) arrived - also my AHB shirts yay. Ended up watching Fellowship.

Right 7.45 QLD time, lets mill

prep__Large_.jpg

8.15 all milled and strike temp reached

ready__Large_.jpg

drape sheet over urn evenly, then use the paint stirrer to push down to the bottom, centrally, so the sheet is dragged in smoothly and evenly on all sides.

drape_bag__Large_.jpg

Secure using the pegginator™ system and mash in.

mash_in__Large_.jpg

Lid the urn to trap the voile

shut_lid__Large_.jpg

lag.

lagged__Large_.jpg

8.25 when I took the shot.

PS there's a handy pail lid floating on the mash to insulate it a bit

Recipe:

Viennale
American Amber Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 22.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.360
Total Hops (g): 18.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.055 (P): 13.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 0.07 %
Colour (SRM): 7.8 (EBC): 15.4
Bitterness (IBU): 28.0 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 74
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.500 kg Vienna (83.96%)
0.500 kg Pilsner Barrett Burston (9.33%)
0.360 kg Victory Malt (6.72%)

Hop Bill
----------------
18.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 64C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20C with WLP090 - San Diego Superyeast

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Edit: happened a couple of times with BrewMate, see the alc by volume.... must be a bug in the proggy.

You bought the same peginator setup as me Bribie :)

Am still jealous of the hemmed edges, gonna talk to the cheese and kisses nicely....

Sheet hung, in its metabag B) configuration , looks pretty

hoist_bag__Large_.jpg

Came to the boil at 9.35 QLD time - scrapped the Magnum and put in 15g of Stellar, got them free at the Conf so may as well experiment with them.

boil__Large_.jpg

Cleanup was spectacular, just tipped into garden bed, shake and the sheet was almost clean, I'll give it a quick perc soak then rinse.

bag_wash__Large_.jpg

Time for a HB :icon_cheers:

Been doin that circle of voil for ages Bribie, havent hemmed the edges yet mate, thats a bit fancy...

I have added a recirculating pump with my last 2 brews, like a poor mans breumeister, works a treat...

If you look closely you can see my hangmans rope in place around the kettle under the voil...

Works awesome - no more braid for me :)

What were the benefits you found of using the pump? Did it increase your efficiency at all? And did it help to evenly distribute your mash temp, especially when applying extra heat?

End of boil, Brewbright added (note instant breadcrumbs - actually not as pronounced as with many brews, maybe a feature of the Vienna?) Anyway should settle out shortly then cube.

brewbright_1__Large_.jpg

brewbright_2__Large_.jpg

curious...didn't you sell all your bags and whatnots, proclaiming brew-in-a-notherbucket or something to be heaps bestest?

do rate the the peginator system though...i use a foldbackclippythatistoleoffthemissus system, but i don't think it will catch on

Who carved the love heart on your table, Bribie? ....well......?

It was darren, wasn't it? Wasn't it???????

Who carved the love heart on your table, Bribie? ....well......?

It was darren, wasn't it? Wasn't it???????

No, Tidal Pete :wub:

Ok wort ran clear, cube full, all cleanup done except for urn (I'll let the trub sit overnight and glean about a litre in the morning for a starter)

runnings__Large_.jpg

Three and a quarter hour AG brew day with a cube of clear wort, pitch tomorrow, does me. :icon_cheers:

Edit: kymba - yes I did sell my bags and they went to good homes, comes a time though that you evaluate systems and decide to go back - all part of the "churn".

Latest posts

Back