BIAB Tripod Build.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Once I had decided to get into BIAB brewing and had cleared it with swmbo, one of the remaining obstacles was where to suspend a pulley to raise the bag out of the hot wort.

There was no suitable fixing spot in the ceiling above where I wanted to brew, so I set about building a tripod. It was really easy to build and it works a treat.

I thought I'd post some pics of the build, so that if anyone else is in a similar position they might benefit from it.

med_gallery_23372_1036_426986.jpg

med_gallery_23372_1036_733051.jpg

med_gallery_23372_1036_21051.jpg

med_gallery_23372_1036_923214.jpg

med_gallery_23372_1036_282683.jpg

med_gallery_23372_1036_824176.jpg

med_gallery_23372_1036_110519.jpg

med_gallery_23372_1036_480051.jpg

med_gallery_23372_1036_225816.jpg

med_gallery_23372_1036_81074.jpg

[

Well done BDD, great work and good pics and description :)

Cheers

Brilliant!

Doesnt the timber bow when you lift a heavy batch full of liquid? And given the thing's on wheels, what's to stop it from rolling around when you hoist the bag and pull the rope away to tie it off?

I built one out of metal tubing years ago for my old place that didnt have anywhere to hang a hook from. Essentially it's like a hangmans pole, like the one below but without a support bracket and the base comes apart from the top for easy storage.

p.png

Then I bought a house with a covered deck and it now lives stashed away underneath. If anyone wants it, offer a price :)

phoneyhuh said:
Brilliant!

Doesnt the timber bow when you lift a heavy batch full of liquid? And given the thing's on wheels, what's to stop it from rolling around when you hoist the bag and pull the rope away to tie it off?

I built one out of metal tubing years ago for my old place that didnt have anywhere to hang a hook from. Essentially it's like a hangmans pole, like the one below but without a support bracket and the base comes apart from the top for easy storage.

p.png

Then I bought a house with a covered deck and it now lives stashed away underneath. If anyone wants it, offer a price :)

Cheers phoney, it's pretty rigid when I do mine, that's with a 5kg grain bill, so probably 10 kg wet.

You're right about it rolling around, hence using wheels with brakes. I engage the brakes when I'm lifting the bag and once it's drained just release them and roll the thing out of the way.

looks perfect for single batches, I'd be concerned about those bolts/screws for a double batch.

nice work.

That's awesome!

I've been meaning to replace my wooden 'hangmans pole' with a steel one coz the wood bows quite a bit, even on a single batch

Love the tripod idea though

simply brilliant :beerbang: ..cheers..spog...

After doing about 10 batches with the tripod, it felt as though the cheap Bunnings pulley wasn't suitable. While it did the job, it still required 1:1 lifting lifting force.

I played around with a couple of different pulleys and the system that I found worked the best is the one in the photo. It only requires a 1:4 lifting force, which is overkill to the max, but it means you can lift the bag with one hand and still hold your beer in the other. B)

gallery_23372_1036_557772.jpg

One handed bag raise... nice! How much did the pulley system set you back ?

Awesome idea. The tripod and the new pulley system. Very tempted to try my hand and putting something like that together...

Thanks for sharing the BIAB Tripod pulley design. Made mine this past week when I went to brewing 20 L (5.5 gal.) batches in my garage. Brewed a Juniper Rye had a grain bill of 6.35 kg (14.4 lbs.) dry. I was able to lift and drain the wet grains easily. This system will see a lot of use for upcoming brew days. Thanks again for the great idea. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back