Best Way To Store Your Kegs Help Info

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy

Reaction score
Hi all
not sure if this is the right place so if not can a mod place it.

ok my question is a silly one and may have been covered before but i would like to know this when you have kegged up your beer and let it sit at fermentation temp for a few week to carbonate (as i use the prime in the keg with sugar method ) should i refridgerate it after or just let them sit out untill i am ready to tap.
fridge space is not an issue .
the reason i ask is that i let 2 of my full kegs sit in a cool dark room for a 7 months and thought they would improve like the bottle process but when i cooled them tapped them they tasted like crap.
but the one,s i tapped after 3 weeks were ok for the duration .
what is your ideas i would like to know what i did wrong as it was the first season i ever used kegs and tipping the ale away on the garden was horrific i cried for days .

i dont like waste especially my beer .

delboy :(

I'm guessing your sanitation or ingedients might not have been totally up to scratch. There's no reason I'm aware of that should make your keg any different than a bottle.

cheers ross

what is your ideas i would like to know what i did wrong as it was the first season i ever used kegs and tipping the ale away on the garden was horrific i cried for days .
I cant really add any input to this, but on the bright side you only had to empty 2 kegs. much less work than emptying 120 stubbies :)

spoke to ROSS today and got the lowdown on my storage issue all sorted .

learnt one thing never ever trust a s/h keg even if they say it was ok and tested pull it down and do it your self 2 of my kegs were leaking underpresure very slow but after a week there would have been no gas in them.

poppetts were failing and one dip tube flange was flattend.

all fixed now pressure tested and dip tanked tight as.

del

any hints as to what you did to test them? fill them with gas and submerge them in the bath?

or spray them with a soapy solution Lucas, you'll then see the tiny bubbles if leaking.

old bugman you got it !LoL

filled them with co2 and stick them in the pool check the poppets check the seams. soapy water is good but not as good on as a dunk.

so it works for me.

del

oh and the pool pony idea mmmmm might be a party trick in that :) or fill one up with co2 sit on it and pull the prv hey presto a jet ski

Latest posts

Back