Best Kit And Kilo Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok ken i will post back if i make one off your recipe sheet but as for the free beer ive got to be home thats the only condition

Angel Tears
I believe that the full size kits are scaled to have the right amount of colour and IBU's for 23L, and just dont have the full strength, therefore, if you only make it up to half that, you would effectively be doubling the bitterness, I believe, and probably making it darker also. That said, alot of people swear by the two can recipe's, so maybe it will make it closer to the IBU's that homebrewers are after?
All the best
Trent

Regarding the small batches,

I was pushed for time a while back and decided to throw down a quick brew on a Sunday (no HBS open!) so I dropped into Safeway and picked up a can of Coopers Real Ale.

Went home, threw the kit on the boil with 2L, after reaching the hot break I threw in 25g of Amarillo and boiled for 30 mins. Topped up in fermentor to 9.5L... pitched kit yeast and fermented at 18C for a fortnight.

Lets just say that brew didn't last long! Very nice for a quickie!

JS

I tried one of my "vault beers" the other night. A 4 month old coopers heritage lager done with 500gms malt, 250 dextrose and 250 corn syrup, W34/70 in the fridge...and it was bloody sensational. Clearest beer Ive ever made, a beautiful lager, crisp as - shame it was my last bottle. :(
Cheers
Steve

Hey all!

Was going to put down petesbrew's toucan stout:

1 can coopers stout
1 can coopers dark ale
500g brown sugar
both yeasts

But was going to change the 500g brown sugar for 500g LDM to give an even greater malt/chocolate body.

Will this be viable and a successful modification? Im after a nice malty/choco stout.

Oh and i think i'll ferment with SAF04.

Cheers for the opinions.

Foz

Edit: I'm also not keen to add grains etc as i can't purchase these where i live. cheers!

Trent / Angel Tears / James S,

It was mainly the bitterness that I was wary of when I put the question on here re a full can in a half size brew.
I was thinking of trying a pale, lightly hopped style because of this, but after reading some of the replies, I'm thinking that it could also work with stouts and some ales which are not heavily hopped.

I also wondered a little about the flavour, but many brewers use a full Kg of malt, or two cans in 22L, so I reckoned that was not an issue.

Thanks to all for your input & if anyone else has actually done a brew like this, please let me know - I wont be able to start on one of these for a few days yet, so I'm still open to suggestions.

Cheers, Deegee.

Hey GMK, I think my PM must have gone for a walk?

Any chance of a copy of the spreadsheet please.

Just after new ideas for a kit/kilo

Thanks

Kev

Kev

It did not go for a walk - i did not send it as you did not provide your e-mail address in the pm.

I cant upload excel files here or attach them to pm's - hence the required e-mail address.
someone gave a funny e-mail address xxxatgmaildotcom that wheni typed in @gmail.com it did not work...

Kev

It did not go for a walk - i did not send it as you did not provide your e-mail address in the pm.

I cant upload excel files here or attach them to pm's - hence the required e-mail address.
someone gave a funny e-mail address xxxatgmaildotcom that wheni typed in @gmail.com it did not work...
that probably would have been me gmk. can you reply to the pm so i can see if i made a mistake or need to give you a different address

Hey all!

Was going to put down petesbrew's toucan stout:

1 can coopers stout
1 can coopers dark ale
500g brown sugar
both yeasts

But was going to change the 500g brown sugar for 500g LDM to give an even greater malt/chocolate body.

Will this be viable and a successful modification? Im after a nice malty/choco stout.

Oh and i think i'll ferment with SAF04.

Cheers for the opinions.

Foz

Edit: I'm also not keen to add grains etc as i can't purchase these where i live. cheers!

Sounds great to me Foz,

I'll make a note of this on my recipe sheet and put it down again in summer (ready for some fine brew next winter).
Keep us all updated!

swap the coopers dark can for teh Cascade Choc Mahogony Porter or the morgans choc malt ....

if you make this to 23ltrs your OG will put you in the Imperial Stout category.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the feedback Petesbrew and GMK.

I'd like to try that recipe out GMK but i've already gone and bought the ingredients :(

Depending on the result of this brew i'll definately put down another stout sometime soon.

Just for clarification the recipe is:

1x Coopers Stout
1x Coopers Dark Ale
500g LDM
Saf-04

Hopefully the Saf-04 will ferment all of the ingredients quicker then the packet yeast (although i'm not too worried - just keen! lol)

Thanks agian for the help all, I'll keep you posted (probably when the airlock explodes! :eek:)

Foz

Thanks for the feedback Petesbrew and GMK.

I'd like to try that recipe out GMK but i've already gone and bought the ingredients :(

Depending on the result of this brew i'll definately put down another stout sometime soon.

Just for clarification the recipe is:

1x Coopers Stout
1x Coopers Dark Ale
500g LDM
Saf-04

Hopefully the Saf-04 will ferment all of the ingredients quicker then the packet yeast (although i'm not too worried - just keen! lol)

Thanks agian for the help all, I'll keep you posted (probably when the airlock explodes! :eek:)

Foz
After 3 thumbs-ups from mates for the toucan stout I decided to enter it in TCB's homebrew competition.
I reckon it's a winner... although compared with other stouts, the comments will probably be "what the f>>> is this? Vegemite and ethanol?"

Ha Petesbrew, Good luck with the comp!

Mines just about finished fermenting but i'm going to have to wait until tomuza to bottle it :( (a little short on bottles and money atm)

Has a real kick to it outta the fermentor though!

2 weeks time and i'm going to be in stout heaven! lol

Let us all know how you go in the comp petesbrew!

Foz

best kit i built was also the simplest i have done too and it was FREE from Coopers to top it all off

can of Thomas Coopers Heritage Draught
and a can of coopers LME
made up to 23 liters , kegged it and bottle the excess just gave away the last two stubbies of it to a mate at work , will get feedback on that when he come back from holidays in a couple of weeks time , it was about 12 months old when i gave it to him so it should have been pretty nice, was good when it was a week old in the keg ,,,

Ha Petesbrew, Good luck with the comp!

Mines just about finished fermenting but i'm going to have to wait until tomuza to bottle it :( (a little short on bottles and money atm)

Has a real kick to it outta the fermentor though!

2 weeks time and i'm going to be in stout heaven! lol

Let us all know how you go in the comp petesbrew!

Foz

Just got the results on friday... the best score was 26.5/50 (that range was marked as "drinkable"). Low hops, slight sherry hint. The usual stuff. My other one, a pilsener was classed as not enough hops too.
Looks like I have to do some hops experimenting.
Oh well, I still think it's a ripper... but there's always room for improvement!
Petesbrew

I tried a Grolsch type clone a year ago with a friend.

Beermakers Dutch Lager
500g light malt extract
500g dextrose
15g Hallertau
Saflager ..34/70

Turned out wonderful.

Pilsner help.

Guys, I am looking at brewing a Czech style pilsner. At the moment i'm looking at 3 base kits, Morgans golden Saaz, Coopers Plisner or Brewcraft pilsner then 1 to 1.5 KG light malt and 2 bags of saaz hops 1 taste and 1 aroma. Do you have any recommendations / recipes? Also what temp should i brew at? How long in primary /seconday? Do i need to cold conditon?

Thanks

Pointy

Latest posts

Back