Best Kit And Kilo Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a great recipe I tried last year
The Dumb Blonde

Coopers Canadian Blonde Can
1kg Country Brewer Ultrabrew mix
12g Golding Hops.

Makes 23litres. Dead simple to make and tastes fantastic after a few months.

I recently did a coopers lager. (It was given to me)

Dissolved 500gms dry malt in hot water in fermenter.
Poured in tin of goo and dissolved it.
Steeped 10gms of cascade and 10gms of stirling (saaz) in a bowl with 250mls of boiling water for 15 mins. Poured this into fermenter. Gave a good stir.
Topped up to 23 litres
US56 sprinkled and stirred on top.
7 days primary at 18 degrees
Threw small handful of cascade pellets into secondary after racking
7 days secondary at 18 degrees
Bulk primed 160gsm white cane sugar.

Bloody nice thirst quenching quaffer!
Cheers
Steve

Here's one for the folks with tastebuds of steel :super:

1x Cooper's IPA can,
1x Cooper's Aussie PA can,
500g LDME,
6 Teaspoons (roughly 60g) Fuggles pellets.

30 min boil with LDME in 3L of water.

Hops added:
3tsp @ 30 min,
2tsp @ 20 min,
1tsp @ 5 min.

Mix in fermenter to 23L and pitch Cooper's yeast from IPA kit.

Ferment 9 days @ 18c.

PZ.

*EDIT* - Teaspoons, not tablespoons :blink:

I keep meaning to post this everytime I see this post crop up in the latest posts (did I use the word post often enough? hehe).

About 4 years ago I did a "corona like" brew which even my wife liked (and she doesnt like beer that much), and I have to admit it was rather nice - it took over a month to lose that "green" flavour, but it was a v. nice drop when it did. It went like this:

1.7Kg can of Beermakers Cervesa, 1Kg of dextrose, 250g of lactose and 250g of corn syrup - top it up to 23 litres in the fermenter.

I just redid this recently cause a mate wanted to try a brew and see what it was like - so we did this one again, but this time I threw 5 chillis (thinly sliced) into the kettle full of boiled water in the fermenter to disolve the can of goo. I'm sittin' drinking one just now and its v. nice - but it kicks like a donkey (I love chilli - hehe - so I used a few habanero's).

Dark 'Lager' (using ale yeast): I had a bash at several kits and may not have left them long enough. Here's the last one I did though and I really like it. Unfortuantely it took 3 months to come good though*. As for the recipe? I sort of just made it up!

1 Tin Morgan's Amber Pale Extract
1 Tin Morgan's ChocMalt
Boiled in about 8 litres of water for 60 mins
20g Hersbrucker at 40 mins
20g Hallertau at 40 mins
2.5g Hersbrucker at 10mins
2.5g Hallertau at 10mins
2.5g Hersbrucker at 2mins
2.5g Hallertau at 2mins
Fermented with Safale SO4 at 18 degrees. Didn't rack this one so left on primary for 2 weeks. Racked into cube and cold conditioned at 2 degrees for 6 weeks. Kegged at 6 weeks and kept at 2 degrees. Only started to taste great 12 weeks from start of ferment. (Tasted pretty average before this).

*Maybe less cold conditioning would make this beer drinkable a lot earlier?

Did this one ages ago when trying to do a kit brewed belgian wit. turned out nothing like one but kind of like reback original.

1.7kg can deliverance wheat ale
1.5kg can coopers wheat extract
200g torrified wheat steeped
200g wheat malt steeped
40g jar of beerenberg marmalade
2tsp corriander powder (cracked seed would be better)

The marmalade, corriander and grains were steeped in jsut off boiling water for about 10-15 min and poured through a collander into the fermenter with the extracts.

Used safwheat yeast, fermented otu in about 1 week at low 20's.

A mate asked me some time ago if I could brew a "lighter" beer for our next session.

I had nothing but Fuggles pellets and came up with this super-dooper simple thing.

Based on a single can of Coopers Canadian Blonde mixed to 11L only (double everything for a full batch...this was to fill a 9L keg).

blownedblonde.JPG

Tastes really good...I'm quite shocked to be honest........and I can assure you it'll be all gone very soon :chug:

PZ.

Bizarre said:
I just redid this recently cause a mate wanted to try a brew and see what it was like - so we did this one again, but this time I threw 5 chillis (thinly sliced) into the kettle full of boiled water in the fermenter to disolve the can of goo. I'm sittin' drinking one just now and its v. nice - but it kicks like a donkey (I love chilli - hehe - so I used a few habanero's).
[post="124224"][/post]​

Three Habanero's is enough to kill a Bull and a bloody big bull at that. I grow Halapenjo, Cayenne, Serrano, Siam, Birdseye and Diablo and string them on Ristra's to dry for kitchen use. Want to make a Chilli Beer one day and have often wondered which variety and how much. Used a little Habanero (mistook the yellow flesh for the Thai Siam) in a dish for a family reunion recently and just about caused a premature birth, those things are dangerous, I have had blisters on my lips from them. YOU DA MAN :super:

Three Habanero's is enough to kill a Bull and a bloody big bull at that. I grow Halapenjo, Cayenne, Serrano, Siam, Birdseye and Diablo and string them on Ristra's to dry for kitchen use. Want to make a Chilli Beer one day and have often wondered which variety and how much. Used a little Habanero (mistook the yellow flesh for the Thai Siam) in a dish for a family reunion recently and just about caused a premature birth, those things are dangerous, I have had blisters on my lips from them. YOU DA MAN :super:
[post="126648"][/post]​
[/quote]

LOL - thanks Screwtop! Even though I am a chilli head - umm - might only use 1 habo and the rest jalopenos next time - hehehe - cause u need 2 beers on the go at once. The chilli one - and another one to cool your mouth! Oh well, if I'm gonna expire I might as well do it in style! :chug:

Hey Bizzare, have you tried the latest batch of Chilli beer from the sail and anchor, that's got some kick to it, I only got thru 1/4 of a glass and I'm generally a fan of chilli :(
Just ruined the beer IMHO

mika_lika said:
Hey Bizzare, have you tried the latest batch of Chilli beer from the sail and anchor, that's got some kick to it, I only got thru 1/4 of a glass and I'm generally a fan of chilli :(
Just ruined the beer IMHO
[post="127170"][/post]​

Havent been to the Sail and Anchor for a while - hehe - might have to put that one on my to do list nxt time I'm in Freo :D

I love chilli, however at this time I'm still of the opinion that they have no place in beer or tim tams :)

sah said:
I love chilli, however at this time I'm still of the opinion that they have no place in beer or tim tams :)
[post="127179"][/post]​

Tim Tams ??? :blink:
What the.....

:D

mika_lika said:
Tim Tams ??? :blink:
What the.....
[post="127180"][/post]​

Google "chilli tim tams"

Scott

I just have..... but it's still WRONG !!
:D
Sik B#$$%#@

Summer Wheat
Morgans Whispering Wheat Kit
40g Coriander seeds in stocking bag. 2 or 3 limes and or lemons - rind & juice. Kaffir lime leaves. 200g honey. 1kg of brewing sugar or wheat beer blend (It wrote this down much later and can't remember which it was...)
Rind in boil at 15. Honey and juice and coriander and kaffir lime leaves in at 10. Sieve into fermenter. Add kit and sugar and cold water as usual. Coriander added in stocking bag to fermenter. I would actually use more Coriander and perhaps boil it a little next time...

Renovation Ale (was moving and renovating house...)
Black Rock India Pale Ale
1kg Morgans Dark Crystal Malt
Boiled kit for 15 and malt for 10

That's it.
Think dark flavours with a lighter body and mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

Chilli Tim Tams are quite simply the finest chocolate biscuit I have ever tasted.

Chilli and dark chocolate go together beautifully.

I have a friend in England whose partner sometimes makes chilli dishes with chocolate in them. Next time I'm over there they have promised to invite me over to try one.

Chilli Chocolate Stout anyone?

bconnery said:
Renovation Ale (was moving and renovating house...)
Black Rock India Pale Ale
1kg Morgans Dark Crystal Malt
Boiled kit for 15 and malt for 10

That's it.
Think dark flavours with a lighter body and mouthfeel. Very drinkable.
But no hops :eek:! Doesn't boiling the kit, boil off the hop aromas? Besides that it sounds nice.

Tooheys Dark Ale Kit, 1.7KG
Coopers Brew Enhancer 2, 1KG
DDME, 250g
SafAle S-04 Yeast
Brewed at 18C

Tasty

Back