Best Kit And Kilo Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me the best and most consistent -

Morgans Golden sheaf Wheat
1kg tin morgans wheat malt
10gms Saaz - dry hopped
12gms POR teabag
K97 yeast - rehydrated
fill to 21litres

:chug:

regards
Richard

peas_and_korn said:
I have a honey beer going, it's really easy to make and everyone who has tried it has loved it (been told they prefer it to beez neez, which I consider to be quite a tribute)

Morgan's Wheat Beer kit
500g light dry malt extract
1kg honey (make sure it's processed, as pure honey will have pollens that will mess it up- I use bilo brand honey- good as any, really)

I use the can yeast, but next batch I'm making I will do the same thing but with a different yeast to see what the difference is. I'll be doing that in about a week when my first honey beer is put into secondary, as I can put cubes in a spot the fermenter can't fit.
[post="111792"][/post]​

I'll give that a whirl got a can of morgans wheat hanging around, does it still taste like a wheat though.

not really, it tastes like a honey beer. I'd say that the malt makes it less 'wheaty', and the honey adds an interesting dimension.

Enjoy!

Hi peas did you boil the honey with the malt? - also did one with 500gms wheat malt and kilo of honey - tried @ the 2 week mark - it was average - how long do you leave before drinking?

regards
Richard

Well, the first batch I didn't do any boiling- it was my third batch and I had little experience with that sort of thing (I didn't really consider it). My current batch, I boiled everything together, honey and all- I'd imagine that'll lend a slightly caramel taste to it, but I could be wrong.

For leaving it- for my first batch, again, as I was inexperienced I left it for around ten days in the fermenter, then bottled. Left it for around a month then started drinking- didn't last too long! This batch is fermenting bloody fast, but I'll probably leave it in primary for about a week then secondary for another week. After that, it's bottles and a month of conditioning.

Mackers,

Cubbie's topic as linked by pint of lager is thorough and has some good side-links. Have a good read.

I sometimes use unhopped extracts with a partial mash but like to use kits with partials because it removes the bittering calculations which can be touchy especially with high gravity boils.

It's important to take good notes of strike temps, mash temps, volumes, gravities, everything, especially the first 3 or 4 times just to work out how your system works.

I have a large esky tun, but for small partial mashes I use a bucket in bucket system: get two free HDPE buckets from local bakery and drill a thousand tiny holes in the bottom of one (a cordless drill, a sitcom and a couple of beers will get you through this mindless task). Put a tap on the other bucket. Put the holey bucket inside the tapped bucket, wrap some insulation around them and you have a mash/lauter tun for the price of a plastic tap.

Preheat the tun with boiling water, tip it out. Crush your grains and put them in. Add strike water at about 75C to hit about 67-68C in the mash. Stir to distribute moisture and temp. Check temp at a few different spots in the mash and adjust if you need to. Lid on and leave it for an hour. Check temp once or twice if you like but it should only drop 2-3 degrees over the hour if you have insulated and preheated it well.

Drain some wort into a jug and tip it back into the top of the tun; recirculate like this a few times till it comes out without grainy particles. I put alfoil on top of the grain bed and punch little holes in it to let the recirculated wort through without disturbing the grain bed. Once it runs clean, drain it slowly into your kettle. Tip in sparge water at 75C, stir and leave for a few minutes. Recirculate again till it runs clean and let it run into the kettle. Rolling boil no less than an hour.

Turn off the heat, tip in your kit and aroma hops. Pellets are best for this technique. Stir with a sanitised spoon to disperse the kit. Chill it in a sink of tap water then a second sinkful with lots of ice in it. Tip it into your fermenter and top up to about 22 litres.

Rather than top up, I usually boil 10 litres the night before to disperse chlorine and sanitise, put it in a fermenter in the frig with the thermostat set to bring it down to a pitching temp overnight. Then just tip in the entire contents of the kettle. A few hours later when the break and hops have settled to the bottom I put a freshly sanitised fermenter underneath and drain the full fermenter into the empty one, leaving the break and hops still in the first fermenter, below the level of the tap. Pitch the yeast. This is a very efficient way to keep the break out of the brew and aerates it at the same time.

I can mash up to 1.8kg of base malt like this (can steep specialty grains separately) and get about 12 litres of wort between 1.035 and 1.042 pre-boil. You can do it with equipment you already have or can get for free and most importantly to me, it takes about half as long as an all-grain brew.

Once you figure this out, its easy to add extract instead of a kit and do your own bittering and then mini all grain brews.

there have been some replies in here with people adding 1.5 - 2kg of malt/dext/etc to the 1.7kg can kit and filling up to the 18-20l mark.

does this make the beer very heavy? i typically only throw in around 1kg of extras (malt, dext & hops) to the 1.7kg can kit

im wondering what sort of flavour increase/alteration you would see with the extra 0.5-1kg of extras...

Yeah my sugar monster was pretty heavy, but heavy like a hoegaarten grand cru is heavy.

Is you are game to pump this much sugar and malt into a brew just make sure you have a robust yeast, and plenty of patience.

Hi Guys.

Newbie here! Just thought I'd add to this post because nobody answered my other post. Has anyone made the recipes off the cooper's website? Are any of them any good?

Cheers,

Phil_the_ale_man

:party:

Possibly I generally dont follow recipes from tip sheets ect.

I prefer word of mouth.

Fare enough. I thought about editing the stouter stout recipe by adding 1.5 kg dme to the kit, but don't really know how it'll turn out. Might need some extra hops or something.

My best to date is a :

Morgans Blue Mountain Lager
500g LME liquid
750g Dextrose
12g Hallertau hops steeped for 10 mins

Very easy to make. Tried the first one the other night after nearly 2 weeks in the bottle. Still needs a bit more time but was beautiful.

hi guys,

a great k+k beer that I enjoy to make with great aroma and plenty of flavour is;

1 can Morgans Canadian light
1kg Brew Booster
1 teabag Cascade hops steeped and added to fermenter

ferment at 20c for 7 days

Cube it and dry hop with another Cascade teabag, condition for 1 week.

Keg leave another week or 2 and enjoy.....

cheer old dog

:beer:

My best one to date goes like this:

1.7kg Morgans' Blue Mountain Lager
1kg Body brew
Cascade hops (steeped for 10 mins)
Saflager s-23
Fermented at approx. 20degrees for about 5 days i think from memory.
Turned out a great tasting beer... Haven't had a complaint as of yet.

My best goo and dump is the one I am drinking now :) did it over a year a ago.
A Grumpys Kilkenny extract and bag [what ever :blink: ] done with Wyeast Irish yeast,it is good..Forgot I had it in the back of the shed, chilled it and, Yum :p red and very good :)

I have made a 'kit and kilo' IPA that turned out absolutely fantastic.

can Coopers Brewmaster IPA
can Coopers Liquid Light Malt
100 g Brew Enhancer 2
packet Morgans Fuggles Finishing Hops ( Tea bag Method )

Ferment at 19/20 deg C by usual method for about 10 days.
After 2 months in bottle this simple brew resulted in a beer
that is a taste sensation as good as some mini mash brews I have
tasted. Used the kit yeast. :beer:

I've been using black rock ale yeasts for my k and k's with good results.I get great attenuation and it's damn fast too,usually only taking 3 days for primary.Cost is 2 dollars a packet,so it's pretty cheap. :p

I've found this recipe for a Chocolate Porter. I've never made it, but keen to try it out. Anyone care to comment on the expected results?

Morgans Dark Ale
A can of Morgans liquid choc malt
250gm dark Dry Malt Extract
150gm choc grain

If it's a go-er, I think this'll be my next brew :)

Tim.

I've just put down a morgans stockmans draught with 1.5 kilos of LME and 500 grams of BE2 with 250 grams wheat malt,for head retention.According to the directions you don't need to add hops to this kit as they carefully roll boil the extract plus hops so as add hop flavour and aroma.Can't wait to see how this one turns out,it smells bloody nice out of the airlock. :beer:

Tim,
That might be a bit too much chocolate malt, I'd cut that back to say 500g and increase the dry malt, perhaps light dry malt, could be quite heavy otherwise. You might want to add some hops, a little for aroma and flavour (Willamet or Fuggle would be my suggestion).
AC

Latest posts

Back