Best Kit And Kilo Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brownie said:
Tooheys Dark Ale Kit, 1.7KG
Coopers Brew Enhancer 2, 1KG
DDME, 250g
SafAle S-04 Yeast
Brewed at 18C

Tasty
[post="129174"][/post]​

Yep that yeast at that temp is the key, good on ya brownie,sounds like a top recipe.

My latest experiment is with Morgans Specialty Liquid Malts. Added some Caramalt to Coopers Pale Ale kit and used Dried English Yeast produced a very nice English Pale Ale. Added a fair swag of boiled and steeped hops as well.

I've just tasted my first go at Dark Ale, used Morgans Dark Crystal LME.
Beer was so sweet and nice the 'bottling team' had some tastes straight out of the fermenter! Been in bottles for just 4 weeks and the taste is superb; and head formation and retention aren't half bad for a kit either.
These Morgans Specialty malts are not cheap, so I mix them with cans of straight LME to get a more subtle flavour. They seem to improve the brew quite well.

Morgans Wheat.
1kg morgans wheat masterblend
saf-wheat
brewed @ 20 degrees.
21 litre volume.

@ 3 weeks very tasty maybe 250g of honey next time for some sweetness.

Coopers stout kit
1KG Dried dark malt extract
1KG Morgans liquid crystal malt extract

all added to a big pot with as much water as you can comfortably fit and brought to the boil, then:

16g willamette hops boiled 20 mins
10g willamette hops boiled 10 mins

fermented with Safale S-04 at 18C

A beautiful, burnt caramally stout. I brewed it thinking that 2.5 slabs of stout would last ages, I'm shocked at how fast I'm going through it... soooo nice.

Coopers stout kit
1KG Dried dark malt extract
1KG Morgans liquid crystal malt extract

Hang on ,thats a kit and 2 kilo recipe.! :D (just kidding)
Sounds like a ripper!
did the hops come through on that or was the malt dominant?

the hops arent strongly noticable, but i'd hazard a guess that without them it'd probably have turned out awful sweet. nicely malty though :p

Just tried a two can stout I made a few weeks ago.
1 can coopers stout
1 can coopers dark ale
500g brown sugar
both yeasts

I've seen some posts on this site about two can recipes not being up to standards, but I have to say this turned out deadset brilliant. My best stout, and probably best overall beer so far... too easy, too nice.
6.8% too, so it's not one to have if you're driving!

If you PM Me with your e-mail address i will send you my spreadsheet of kits & bits recipees - some of which have placed in the ACT State and teh AUstralian National Championships.

I've just PM'd you GMK and look forward to reading up some of these recipes!

When there are K&Ks that can win awards i'm sure many of us would like to try them!

Also Pete's brew I think your recipe is one well worth trying as with the weather cooling down and all, a nice warm stout sounds the goods.

Did you have problems with the brew foaming out of the airlock? Also how much did you fill the fermentor?

Cheers for the tips

Foz

I've just PM'd you GMK and look forward to reading up some of these recipes!

When there are K&Ks that can win awards i'm sure many of us would like to try them!

Also Pete's brew I think your recipe is one well worth trying as with the weather cooling down and all, a nice warm stout sounds the goods.

Did you have problems with the brew foaming out of the airlock? Also how much did you fill the fermentor?

Cheers for the tips

Foz

Haha, yes it foamed out the top, hardened on the lid, and required a fair a bit of cleaning afterwards.
I filled it to 23litres. I got about OG:1060 to FG:1012 if that helps too.

Lol Petesbrew! sounds like a winner!

Wonder how this foaming can be combated?

My fermentor sits in the dining/lounge room so any way of avoiding the eruption would be ideal!

Would the brew improve with the use of maybe Saf 04/ us56?

Also did you ferment at approx 20 Degress and how long did the ferment take?

cheers

Foz

If you PM Me with your e-mail address i will send you my spreadsheet of kits & bits recipees - some of which have placed in the ACT State and teh AUstralian National Championships.

C'mon Kenny - whats with the state secret! Beers for drinkin' not for winning ribbons - we wont enter we promise!! ;)

Lol Petesbrew! sounds like a winner!

Wonder how this foaming can be combated?

My fermentor sits in the dining/lounge room so any way of avoiding the eruption would be ideal!

Would the brew improve with the use of maybe Saf 04/ us56?

Also did you ferment at approx 20 Degress and how long did the ferment take?

cheers

Foz

Foz, In answer to your questions...
I know absolutely SFA about yeast. (i've got my first Safelager to try out in my next brew).

I added both yeasts (why not) so that'd probably be a big factor in the excess foaming.
You could also use less or no sugar if you want.

It brewed in my garage at around 16-18 degrees, so it was madly foaming for the first few days, but after that it really slowed down... took about 2 weeks overall. Lucky for me my garage is my domain, so there were no complaints from my wife, as long as I cleaned up the small mess on the ground.

Hope it works for you, but i'd be moving it to the laundry at least... but the stout stains in the loungeroom would make a great conversation piece.

IMG_2048_1_1.JPG

Pete - have you tried making a blow off tube? Get a spare little bottler, cut a few inches off, stick your racking tube on one end and put the other end in the hole that your airlock goes into. Put the other end of the racking tube in a bucket of water.
Cheers
Steve

Pete - have you tried making a blow off tube? Get a spare little bottler, cut a few inches off, stick your racking tube on one end and put the other end in the hole that your airlock goes into. Put the other end of the racking tube in a bucket of water.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve. I've seen some pictures of these setups, but it's good to hear how easy it is.
Definitely better. Just call me lazy at the moment. But I think I'll try it with my next batch.

bconnery said:
Renovation Ale (was moving and renovating house...)
Black Rock India Pale Ale
1kg Morgans Dark Crystal Malt
Boiled kit for 15 and malt for 10

That's it.
Think dark flavours with a lighter body and mouthfeel. Very drinkable.
But no hops :eek:! Doesn't boiling the kit, boil off the hop aromas? Besides that it sounds nice.

It does lose some but I've never brewed the black rock kit alone so I don't know how much...
You could always add some in!
At the time I made this one I wasn't really thinking about the hops, just wanted to try the combination of pale kit and darker malt.

I would like to to make a quick & easy brew like these, but in a smaller quantity than the usual 22/23 litres.
So in keeping with the theme of this thread, can anyone suggest a recipe using a pre-hopped can, with or without extra sugars, ditto hops, which would make up to say 12-15 litres.
I'm thinking maybe something like a Coopers Pale Ale, Canadian Blonde or similar might turn out OK. i.e. not too malty or too bitter as a result of the smaller amount.
Any suggestions ?? -- better still --has anyone done something like this ??
Cheers, Deegee.

I would like to to make a quick & easy brew like these, but in a smaller quantity than the usual 22/23 litres.
So in keeping with the theme of this thread, can anyone suggest a recipe using a pre-hopped can, with or without extra sugars, ditto hops, which would make up to say 12-15 litres.
I'm thinking maybe something like a Coopers Pale Ale, Canadian Blonde or similar might turn out OK. i.e. not too malty or too bitter as a result of the smaller amount.
Any suggestions ?? -- better still --has anyone done something like this ??
Cheers, Deegee.

A single Malt Shovel can is designed to be brewed to 11.5l I believe.

A single Malt Shovel can is designed to be brewed to 11.5l I believe.

That is absolutely correct.

Also could do an 11.5litre brew of any normal Kit (ie 22.5 Litres) but dont add extra dextrose or whatever and only fill to 11.5 Litres.

ATOMT

Hi Guys,

had a question on the spreadsheet - check the Strong Scotish Ale Recipe - on some the yeast reads Wyeast 1328 - this does not exist and should read Wyeast 1728..

Must have been a mix up some where.
Also - Usual rules apply:
use teh recipee, modify & adapt as you see fit.
post feedback in here when you make up the recipees for others.

And most importantly - I get a free beer when i am travelling past your place :)

Have Fun and Happy Brewing.

Latest posts

Back