Beertimer Software

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotteth

Reaction score
So I've been trying to learn Flash and thought I'd have a go at solving a minor annoyance for my brewdays.

I'm often distracted by kids, other things in the shed or AHB on brew day. My $3 boil timer sits in the shed (with the boil equipment) which I have to check often to make sure I dont miss a hop addition. So I thought it would be good to set up a program on my phone that beeps a few minutes before a hop addition so if i'm being distracted or have ducked into the house, I don't miss the addition.

I don't know if others might be interested in the program but maybe somebody else would like to try it. Most newish phones should be able to run it (uses flash 2.x for mobiles). My phone (LG viewty) runs it, although sometimes it resets if i try to start the timer too quickly after the program launch.

beertimer.jpg

Instructions
It's (hopefully) works like this:
Download the flash file and copy onto your phone. Launch it by selecting it.
You choose the total time for the boil in minutes (default 60)
You choose how many minutes before the addition that you want to be alerted (default 2)
You tick the additions that you'll be using (only options are 45, 30, 20, 15, 10 and 5 mins)
Click start and away it goes counting down.

Disclaimers:
I'm not a software programmers shoelace - just pieced it together from tutorials on the net.
I'm not responsible for brain cancer, spontaneous phone combustion or anything else that goes wrong with your phone or your brew.
I'm just testing the software so use your normal timer as well.
Don't leave the boil unattended - you should know this.

Download here

awesome! i was thinking of making one of theses but i forgot I can't program..

ill give it a dip.

So I've been trying to learn Flash and thought I'd have a go at solving a minor annoyance for my brewdays.

I'm often distracted by kids, other things in the shed or AHB on brew day. My $3 boil timer sits in the shed (with the boil equipment) which I have to check often to make sure I dont miss a hop addition. So I thought it would be good to set up a program on my phone that beeps a few minutes before a hop addition so if i'm being distracted or have ducked into the house, I don't miss the addition.

I don't know if others might be interested in the program but maybe somebody else would like to try it. Most newish phones should be able to run it (uses flash 2.x for mobiles). My phone (LG viewty) runs it, although sometimes it resets if i try to start the timer too quickly after the program launch.

View attachment 34868

Instructions
It's (hopefully) works like this:
Download the flash file and copy onto your phone. Launch it by selecting it.
You choose the total time for the boil in minutes (default 60)
You choose how many minutes before the addition that you want to be alerted (default 2)
You tick the additions that you'll be using (only options are 45, 30, 20, 15, 10 and 5 mins)
Click start and away it goes counting down.

Disclaimers:
I'm not a software programmers shoelace - just pieced it together from tutorials on the net.
I'm not responsible for brain cancer, spontaneous phone combustion or anything else that goes wrong with your phone or your brew.
I'm just testing the software so use your normal timer as well.
Don't leave the boil unattended - you should know this.

Download here

Will give this a try, need something similar for the iPod

Screwy

Great idea, but it doesnt work on my phone (windows mobile 6.5)
Any suggestions?

Hey Gregor,

What happens when you try to load it? Starts and dies or you get an error message?

I can try putting a webpage wrapper around it and see if that makes it work.

Hey Gregor,

apparently windows mobile has support for flash. Maybe try unzipping both of these files to you phone and then opening the html one?

Sorry screwy, don't have an ipod (yep the only one) and no idea how to write a program for one :) . Does seem like a cool idea though.

Awesome, I was looking for something like this the other day :icon_cheers: , seems to work on my N95. A couple of suggestions though, it would be nice to enter addition times manually or if not have and option for 60 minute additions (for boils longer than 60 mins).

Edit: It seems to pause when the keypad is locked or the screen saver comes on, although I suspect this is my phones fault rather than the timer

It seems that I dont have the software to open it.

Nonicman concocted a similar program a few years ago although it was not meant to be used with your phone but on your computer.
I have a copy of BrewTimer2 which I have only used once but can only pass it on through an email (I think :unsure: )

TP

Down load the app brew pal for iphone if you have one

this app once a recipe is input has all timers for mash, kettle and fermentation that you can carry everywhere you are plus it allows you to recipe formulate.

Kleiny

No iPhone, the flash app is no good for my Nokia need Java or similar so still hunting.

Screwy

Screwy,

The iPhone and presumably iPod Touch has a native clock app already built in. It has countdown timers and stopwatch modes and all sorts. Time to get one next contract renewal :)

I run my brew days on this out of the box with no need for anything else. It lets me also browse AHB over wifi for filling in the in-between times while waiting for the last few minutes on a step.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Screwy,

The iPhone and presumably iPod Touch has a native clock app already built in. It has countdown timers and stopwatch modes and all sorts. Time to get one next contract renewal :)

I run my brew days on this out of the box with no need for anything else. It lets me also browse AHB over wifi for filling in the in-between times while waiting for the last few minutes on a step.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Thanks Pete, would like one but too expensive for me to leave on public transport, boot of the car or somewhere :lol: Since my op my forgetter is much better than my rememberer, it's a PITA

Cheers,

Screwy

Cool works on my Nokia E63...will deffinatley have to remember next time im brewing that i have this timer.

Thanks Scotteth

Cheers, Pok

this app once a recipe is input has all timers for mash, kettle and fermentation that you can carry everywhere you are plus it allows you to recipe formulate.

Kleiny

Thanks Kleiny.

Just what I was looking for :beer:

Jez

does this give you reminders to put the hops in?

Kleiny

Awesome, I was looking for something like this the other day :icon_cheers: , seems to work on my N95. A couple of suggestions though, it would be nice to enter addition times manually or if not have and option for 60 minute additions (for boils longer than 60 mins).

Thanks Gumby, I initially had a 60 minute addition but wasn't sure if it would fit on other mobile screen. I'll work in a 60 min box, any others times that you regularly use? (note the alarm rings at 0 mins anyways so no need for flameout reminder). No idea about the screensaver and key lock, my phone prefers to eat batteries and won't sleep when anything is open.

Had a look at the brew pal, its like beersmith in your pocket B) . I've always wondered why beersmith doesn't come with timers similar to brew target. Could be useful for those with PCs near their brew rigs. The flash file I wrote should work on any pc if you're in this situation.

Keen to hear others results and happy to incorporate feedback (if its easy), got both fermenters on the go at the moment, so at a brewing/drinking loose end. Although heading shopping for an iphone could be on the cards....

Thanks Gumby, I initially had a 60 minute addition but wasn't sure if it would fit on other mobile screen. I'll work in a 60 min box, any others times that you regularly use? (note the alarm rings at 0 mins anyways so no need for flameout reminder). No idea about the screensaver and key lock, my phone prefers to eat batteries and won't sleep when anything is open.

Had a look at the brew pal, its like beersmith in your pocket B) . I've always wondered why beersmith doesn't come with timers similar to brew target. Could be useful for those with PCs near their brew rigs. The flash file I wrote should work on any pc if you're in this situation.

Keen to hear others results and happy to incorporate feedback (if its easy), got both fermenters on the go at the moment, so at a brewing/drinking loose end. Although heading shopping for an iphone could be on the cards....

So it should work on windoze?

Screwy

Edit: Checked it runs under HTML...cool. Can you do it in Java??

Hey Screwy,

To do it in java I'd have to learn java (and after a quick glance at the SDK I'm probably short the required brain cell mass). If you're really keen I can have a crack but it may take a while :( . What sort of phone have you got?

Hey Screwy,

To do it in java I'd have to learn java (and after a quick glance at the SDK I'm probably short the required brain cell mass). If you're really keen I can have a crack but it may take a while :( . What sort of phone have you got?

It's a real handy little app, would be great if you could. Phone is a Nokia 2760, I buy cheap things that I can loose regularly without stressing :lol:

Screwy

Latest posts

Back