BeerSmith Mobile Brewing App

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly. It won't build a recipe for you any more than your average IDE will write a program for you.

It doesn't sound like Beersmith will overwhelm you to me. Having said that, I personally use Brewmate because Beersmith annoys me a little with all the extra bells and whistles.

Thanks bum that's what I was thinking, I might stick with brew mate for a bit whist I figure things out.

Beersmith is a very good program, however. The assessment above was more about my needs than the program itself.

I found BeerSmith to be a fairly steep learning curve as there is a lot to setup and the interface isn't that intuitive IMO.

Once you know what is going on it's an amazing piece of software.

(note: I am a little OT talking about the desktop version)

brad81 said:
I am only experiencing a slight lag scrolling up and down on my nexus4. Is that what you mean by not running smoothly? Only curious.

I'll put it through its paces next week for my testing.
Yeah, that and the fact that I wasn't able to download any of the trial recipes that came loaded with it (Optus 3G) Since you can't write recipes with it only edit, it's not much chop without it.

Are you saying you cant write recipes on full beersmith app?

Unless I am gravely mistaken, no. You have to download your recipe from the cloud and you can only edit it with the new app.

Go to my recipes then there is an add button in top right corner.

Having played around with the iPhone/iPad version this week and I'm impressed but there is plenty of room for improvement. As a brewing tool on my phone it is better than anything else I have trialled but overall it lacks polish and is a little clunky. The cloud integration is useful but again clunky.

I'll use it a bit more before I get too pedantic in my criticisms however I did find one major issue when I trialled the brewday timer last night - I set up my iPad got some music playing but then when I started the Beersmith timer on the same device it overrode the music and I was thrown into silence :blink: .....epic fail....music on brewday day is an essential ingredient for me. If I don't have my groove on it just doesn't feel right :super:

Alimacoz said:
Thanks bum that's what I was thinking, I might stick with brew mate for a bit whist I figure things out.
I know this is the mobile app thread, but you can get a full trial version (21 days) for your desktop/laptop. It'll give you a chance to have a play with the equipment profiles etc. Craftbrewer sell it for $19.95AU whereas you'd be paying $27.95US from the beersmith page.

I haven't used Brewmate as yet, so can't comment on that. I jumped straight into Beersmith 2 and yes there are shitloads of options, but, you don't have to use them all.

browndog said:
Yeah, that and the fact that I wasn't able to download any of the trial recipes that came loaded with it (Optus 3G) Since you can't write recipes with it only edit, it's not much chop without it.
Are you trying to download them to your PC, or from the cloud to your phone? I cannot remember if the basic cloud account is free or not, but it's great once you set up your login. Pretty seamless for me.

From the desktop, I can right click on a recipe and export it to the cloud.
From the phone, I can access the cloud recipes (instantly) open the one I want and copy to the phone.

Same way in reverse too.

Is it possible you have the "lite" version?

I facepalmed, I bought the lite version the day before the full version came out.....

Full version had add button in my recipes. Lite version does not

I wish you could just specify a folder to load up existing recipes and settings for the mobile version, instead of having to use their cloud service. I already have a cloud service that sync's all my files to my phone, including my Beersmith databases. I'm not keen to have another one just for Beersmith.

Frothie said:
I wish you could just specify a folder to load up existing recipes and settings for the mobile version, instead of having to use their cloud service. I already have a cloud service that sync's all my files to my phone, including my Beersmith databases. I'm not keen to have another one just for Beersmith.
I have to agree on that. I don't have any cloud accounts, and don't intend to. What happened to plugging in a device and transferring files? Surely there's a way to sync the desktop profiles and recipes with mobile?

Awesome, I'm getting it now.
Pity there's no upgrade for Lite users, but hey it's $8.49 outright, who cares.

Muddy Waters said:
It was approved days ago and is already in the app shop.
Ahh! Cool. I was checking beersmith.com for the update, which didn't seem to show any indication of Apple approval.

Muddy Waters said:
I'll use it a bit more before I get too pedantic in my criticisms however I did find one major issue when I trialled the brewday timer last night - I set up my iPad got some music playing but then when I started the Beersmith timer on the same device it overrode the music and I was thrown into silence :blink: .....epic fail....music on brewday day is an essential ingredient for me. If I don't have my groove on it just doesn't feel right :super:
This seems to have been a glitch on my iPad - I can now use the timer while playing music.

Muddy Waters said:
This seems to have been a glitch on my iPad - I can now use the timer while playing music.
Sorry, I need to re-instate my complaint about the beersmith app not playing well with music. I've now trialled it a few times and it does tend to stop music whenever you open it or the the timer sounds. Annoying :angry:

Does opening other apps do the same thing when playing music? Just wondering if it's the app, or if it's just how it is with the iPad.

Been a long time, but I used to have an iPod touch, and from memory, I think that opening any app at all interfered with any music that was playing at the time.

Latest posts

Back