BeerSmith Mobile Brewing App

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I don't have the same problem with other apps. I use many apps that provide voiced updates or alarms and with those the music audio is lowered or muted only for the duration of the notification or alarm.

Ok cool. Maybe the iPod is different, or my memory is failing me...probably the latter. :lol:

Beersmith updated this morning on my android phone, its running much better now.

browndog said:
Unless I am gravely mistaken, no. You have to download your recipe from the cloud and you can only edit it with the new app.
You CAN create a recipe from the app on ipad.

From the home page hit my recipes when it opens hit edit in the top rh corner then go for it.

Cheers

I've just been creating a recipe on my iPad - It sure takes a while with a hell of a lot of back and forthing going on. Also, if you edit a profile and save it with the same name it doesn't ask if you want to update the existing profile instead it just creates a new profile with the same name. As well as cancelling music on the iPad I have found that the alarms on the timer don't always sound.

I really wish with you could load beersmith files via email and dropbox etc. (and export to them or printer). Calendar integration would also be very useful for records. Of course if it could also sync across devices in a more intuitive manner it would be great. While I am happy to finally have the app it has a hell of long way to go before it is really useful....I hope they plan to actively update and improve it.

dicko said:
You CAN create a recipe from the app on ipad.

From the home page hit my recipes when it opens hit edit in the top rh corner then go for it.

Cheers
Well there you go, I was gravely mistaken, just had a look and in the top right corner in My Recipes is an Add button. Click on this then you are creating a new recipe. Thanks Dicko.

I have just purchased the mobile addition, and I can not work out where to put in my batch size. In the scale recipe section it just has stuff about new and old equipment profile.

Muddy Waters said:
I've just been creating a recipe on my iPad - It sure takes a while with a hell of a lot of back and forthing going on. Also, if you edit a profile and save it with the same name it doesn't ask if you want to update the existing profile instead it just creates a new profile with the same name. As well as cancelling music on the iPad I have found that the alarms on the timer don't always sound.

I really wish with you could load beersmith files via email and dropbox etc. (and export to them or printer). Calendar integration would also be very useful for records. Of course if it could also sync across devices in a more intuitive manner it would be great. While I am happy to finally have the app it has a hell of long way to go before it is really useful....I hope they plan to actively update and improve it.
Great ideas there, Muddy.
Brad Smith is always looking for suggestions for improvements. Email/dropbox integration would hinder the income flow from the cloud storage subscriptions but calendar integration, print and ability to sync with a recipe opened/created on another device would be great. Drop him an email.

HalfWit said:
I have just purchased the mobile addition, and I can not work out where to put in my batch size. In the scale recipe section it just has stuff about new and old equipment profile.
If you put one of your recipes in the cloud and then open it on your mobile device you will be able to save all the profiles you used for that recipe.
You will then be able to use those profiles in future recipes that you create on your mobile device.
In your home page at the bottom there is a help button, if you open that I think the details are in there somewhere.
Here it is

Transferring Equipment and Profiles from Desktop
Create a recipe in your desktop cloud folder using the equipment (or other) profile you want to transfer. On your mobile version open that recipe in your cloud folder, then view the equipment profile by scrolling down and clicking on it (don't edit, just view it.) Scroll down in the equipment profile view to find the "Store in My Profiles" button. This will store the profile from the recipe to your local Profiles database on your mobile device.

Cheers

BeerSmith Home Brewing News

BeerSmith Desktop on Sale for $19.95!
To celebrate Memorial Day I'm offering BeerSmith desktop 2.1 for $19.95 (28% off) until Tuesday the 28th of May (sale closes at Midnight Eastern time). This is the lowest price we offer for BeerSmith, so now is a great time to pick up a copy for you or your friends. Get it here!

Android Lite Upgrade Available and BeerSmith Mobile Also on Sale
The BeerSmith Mobile sale continues for iPhone/iPad, Android and Kindle Fire. The BeerSmith Mobile app is on sale for $7.99 until the end of June (a 20% discount from the $9.99 regular price).
Also I released the BeerSmith Lite in-app upgrade option for Android that lets Android users upgrade their BeerSmith Lite app in place to the full BeerSmith mobile functionality. So if you have BeerSmith Lite for Android and have not yet bought BeerSmith Mobile, just download the latest update of Lite from the app store and use the Upgrade button to upgrade your Lite functionality for $4.
The iPhone/iPad Lite in-app upgrade is in the works as well and I hope to release it through the Apple store in a few weeks.

BeerSmithRecipes.com Membership Discounts
BeerSmithRecipes.com has expanded dramatically over the last year to over 25,000 members and 83,000 recipes. We have an ongoing sale on BeerSmithRecipes.com subscriptions for those who want additional storage as well as cloud archiving. You canupgrade your account at a discount here.
Happy Memorial Day and thanks to all those who have served!
Cheers,

Brad Smith
BeerSmith.com

Ive just recently switched over to Beersmith from brewmate and also using the beersmith mobile app. Seems okay but its a pity you still cant copy your inventory over to the cloud so you know what stock you have on hand if your at the LHBS.

Now its probably just something Ive done wrong but I cant seem to find where Beersmith mobile indicates how much water to add for your batch sparge. It shows how much strike water to add (14.25 litres) But doesnt mention the volume of sparge water.

Or are you supposed to go off your boil volume and add enough sparge water to get your first runnings volume up to Pre boil volume?

The desktop version tells you how much water to add for your sparge.

beersmith mobile.PNG

djar007 said:
is it in brewing session data truman?
No mate that just shows estimated pre boil volume, gravity etc and you can record actuals to compare against

Cheers mate, Ive got it working now. I think I had a setting wrong, but it shows a batch sparge of 19.08 litres now.

Can someone help - what does the 2 min rise mean for the mash in. ??? Im loving the app, trying my best to get around or the terminology.

Think i've almost set up the equipment profile - still not hitting the numbers I want... trial and error i guess.

Downloaded this last weekend for a brewday. Loved being able to send a recipe from the house pc to my phone and have a reliable timer instead of the shitty phone one. Used to have to copy to usb and load onto shed pc which.doesnt have a sound card so timer was pretty much useless. This apps already worth the $8 it cost me.
Have found the timer a little confusing in its layout and needs a skip step button.
@ simob : sounds like your mash step may be on wrong setting ie temp/infusion perhaps?

It seems to be a default. It's the same as what djar007 posted couple of posts up. This link https://www.dropbox....qcr5/jd3TZ2eMU2

You can see that it says mash 60 mins with a 2 min rise.. I've been brewing and ignoring that. The app is the badness. Downloading it actually helped me learn a bit more, like equipment profiles and such.

If it helps i'll upload my mash profile maybe you could take a look.?

The rise is how long it will take you to get from one step to the next.
Play with a few step mashes in the program to see what its used to calculate. You should fine tune the program to match your times your system takes to reach each step. I cant type much at the moment so hopefully someone else can add some detail.

edit: clarified a point

Ahhh I get it now. So really I could set it at 0 and just start the timer when my mashing starts and do a full 60 or whatever.

I will play arouund like you suggested. cheers

Back