BeerSmith Mobile Brewing App

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Can't wait for this..........

Cheers Ross.

--------

BeerSmith Home Brewing News

Full BeerSmith Mobile App Coming Soon!

Brewing Recipes On The Go?
Have you ever wanted to toy with your favorite beer recipes on the road? I've spent the better part of the last two years making that dream a reality. This week I present a short preview of upcoming BeerSmith Mobile which brings recipe editing to your phone or tablet.

BeerSmith Mobile - iPhone, iPad, Android, Tablets and Kindle Fire
BeerSmith mobile brings you full recipe editing. You can add new ingredients, alter your mash schedule and run the brewday timer all from your phone or mobile device. It also has the ability to create new recipes on your mobile device. It will be available for the iPhone, iPad, Android, Android Tablet and Kindle Fire operating systems.

Cloud Access to Your Desktop Data
Using your free BeerSmithRecipes.com account, you can drop a recipe in the cloud folder on your desktop version of BeerSmith, head out the door and edit it from your phone or iPad.
Your profile data (equipment, mash profiles, fermentation profiles) can be saved from your cloud recipes to your mobile device to make it easy to get started using your equipment setup or favorite mash schedule. Ingredients can also be saved from any recipe so its easy to add ingredients.

Recipe Editing, Scaling, Adjustment Functions
Click on the edit button to open any recipe for editing. BeerSmith mobile shows the color of the beer as well as a style guide comparison that are updated as you edit. You can easily add new ingredients from the pre-loaded list of ingredients at the click of a button. The full BJCP style guide is also included for building new recipes.
I've also included functions to change the original gravity, bitterness or color levels easily just like you can on the desktop version. BeerSmith mobile even includes the scale recipe command which can scale a recipe to match a different set of equipment all in one step.

Editable Recipe Profiles and Ingredients
You can save recipe profiles or ingredients from any recipe including those you have transferred from your desktop and fully edit them in BeerSmith mobile. Just view the recipe (don't edit) and view the item you want to add, then save that item. You can also fully edit any of these profiles or ingredients. This lets you adjust your equipment losses, edit a mash profile or add a new ingredient on the fly.

Brewday Timer with Session Data Entry
BeerSmith mobile includes the full brew day timer for both mash and boil phases, so you can drop a recipe into your cloud folder on your desktop, walk to the garage and start the timer from your mobile device. Alarms are played as you reach new steps such as mash step changes or boil ingredient additions.
BeerSmith mobile also includes an area for entry of session data and editable notes, so you can record critical volumes, gravities or notes as you brew and have them stored in your recipe for future reference.

Pricing and Release Date
I've set an Android release date of 1 May 2013, and will release the iPhone/iPad version approximately two weeks after that (pending app store approval). I'm planning to offer it for a limited introductory price of $7.99 until the end of June. After that the price will rise to $9.99. BeerSmith mobile will initially be offered as a separate application in the Google Play, Apple and Kindle app stores.

Upgrades from BeerSmith Lite
I am actively looking at the various "in-app" purchase options as well and hope to offer an "in-app" purchase upgrade for users of "BeerSmith Lite" to upgrade to BeerSmith Mobile in place, but expect it will be a month or two after the launch before I can complete and test these options. In this case, the in-app purchase will let you add the full mobile functionality to your existing BeerSmith Lite for the difference in purchase price.

More Updates Coming Soon
I will have a video overview as well as more information on the app available shortly on the BeerSmith blog - so stay tuned!
Cheers,

Brad Smith
BeerSmith.com
Follow BeerSmith on Twitter and Facebook

Yeah it will make brewing more mobile and easier. Shame about the 'lite' version but it was a whole $2-3 in the scheme of things.

Considering I've been screen dumping brewday sheets to my wife's iPad, this will be about a bajillion times better. Pity there's no discount for PC license holders...

swmbo is gona be stoked when her iPad keeps going missing on brew day

Totally love the mobile app I use. Tweaking recipes on the train? Freakin awesome. Y'all will love it.

Brilliant stuff, At the moment my desktop in at the other end of the house to the brewery. I wonder if BrewMate will go mobile as well. I have a mate who isn't a brewer but I showed him BrewMate and he reckons it would be fairly straightforward to migrate it to an app version (guy works for a big Pharma company building in-house apps).

amen to that bribie...do you use brewmate and beersmith? i was considering buying the latter but haven't had a problem yet with brewmate so haven't bothered.

breakbeer said:
swmbo is gona be stoked when her iPad keeps going missing on brew day
She'll be even more pleased when it comes back covered in barley dust :)

Bribie G said:
Brilliant stuff, At the moment my desktop in at the other end of the house to the brewery. I wonder if BrewMate will go mobile as well. I have a mate who isn't a brewer but I showed him BrewMate and he reckons it would be fairly straightforward to migrate it to an app version (guy works for a big Pharma company building in-house apps).
I'd love a mobile version of BrewMate! I use beersmith because as a mac user I can't use BrewMate and a mobile version would be a great alternative.

I think I will stay with iPhone for my next phone just based on this release. Fantastic!

Yep, should be good.
I currently have Beersmith Lite on my Android tablet and my iPhone. (so I have to buy everything twice!)

Been using beersmith lite on my iphone for about the last 3 months. You can't edit recipes etc but its exactly what it claims to be, a 'lite' version but it has everything you need for brewday. I'm sure very few of us have our computers handy in our brewing room/kitchen/balcony/shed etc and i dont even own a printer, so it's really handy software to have. The cloud thing is pretty cool so you can see all your hop additions, timers etc in your pocket on your iphone.

Anyway to cut a long story short, cant bloody wait for this full version, looks like the goods!!!

There's a lot of talk about using it with recipes from the desktop version and grabbing data from the cloud. Does this even work as a stand alone?

Edgebrew said:
I think I will stay with iPhone for my next phone just based on this release. Fantastic!
Why's that? Shouldn't affect your decision unless you were going WP or Symbian or something (lol). The app is Android and iOS - that covers pretty much any phone anyone might be buying these days - unless you're the captain os SS Nokia, I guess.

It does say in op you can create new recipes on your mobile device

Edgebrew said:
If you read the article it is also for Android so do yourself a favour and upgrade to a Galaxy Note so you can read the screen without squinting. :p

I see the full version is now released on android, any reviews?

The only thing I'm not liking about the direction Brad has taken it is the cloud intergration, obviously it is how he is trying to make an ongoing revenue stream from Beersmith which isn't a problem in itself, but I would prefer an option to import without needing to use the cloud myself.

I used it today for a brew. Laid my recipe down on my mac and got it all tweaked right and ready to go. Then went outside with my galaxy s4 and set the timers and it just kept buzzing me when the next step was ready. I liked it and it was a good brewday. As previously mentioned, a bigger screen is a help.

I downloaded it and didn't feel overly inspired. I obviously prefer to build my recipes on the computer and considering that my system is programmed (braumeister clone) I alraedy have reminders.

Just not for me. I refunded..

Bring on apple app! I get ideas in my head when I'm out and about/at work and the full version gives this an outlet. I also decide on recipes fairly last second based on whimsy, so being able to make little tweaks as I'm chilling out while the HLT ramps up is also coo.

Back