Beersmith 2 Changing Water/grain Ratio

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doubleplugga

Reaction score
I have been navigating around beersmith 2 for an hour or so now and cant work out how to change the water to grain ratio. you dont seem to be able to change it from the default setting. anyone got an answer. you double click on the mash profile but you cant change it?

I have been navigating around beersmith 2 for an hour or so now and cant work out how to change the water to grain ratio. you dont seem to be able to change it from the default setting. anyone got an answer. you double click on the mash profile but you cant change it?

was also thinking about asking this too, as i've had a few issues i've wanted help with.

The workaround i'm using is to just change the volume of water until the ratio changes to what i'm looking for. But would love to know if there's a way to set it as a default as i usually always use the same ratio.

Yeah Bignath i am doing the same thing. will keep searching around and see how i go. i think the default is 2.6 litres per kilo where as i usually always run a 3 to 1 ratio

was also thinking about asking this too, as i've had a few issues i've wanted help with.

The workaround i'm using is to just change the volume of water until the ratio changes to what i'm looking for. But would love to know if there's a way to set it as a default as i usually always use the same ratio.
You can do it Nath's way recipe by recipe or you can design and save a mash profile with the ratios you want and use that as your default.
Open profiles, mash. Then you should see the Add Mash button, it is on the Home tab when mash profiles are open. Then just design your profile and save it.
Nige

Yeah i been having a fiddle the last couple of days, i cant work out how to change it either, this and a few other things i keep bumping into which i cant think of right now, i think some things are easier with the old one, but there are some things on new version i like better as well.

See how i go over the next 21 days whether or not i can be bothered to upgrade.

Esit - ahh i see now thanks Nige

I have the same question too, along with finding many little bugs whilst brewing yesterday and today.

I had to resort to "real" maths when calculating my water volumes. <_<

The most annoying bug I have found is when you are calculating the IBU's from hop additions and the equipment seems to default to a 12L BIAB boil even though it says it is looking at your specified equipment. It took me quite a while to work out why it was telling me 52g of east kent goldings @ 1hr in a 23L batch was only going to yield 14IBU.......

Edit: I'm using the MAC version.

Hmm even while creating my own mash profile it still does not let me change the water to grain ratio...

Hmm even while creating my own mash profile it still does not let me change the water to grain ratio...
When you set up your mash profile just change the amount of water until you get the ratio you want, say 3.0L/kg. Then when you use this profile for a recipe it will adjust the amount of water needed but will keep the ratio the same.
Hoping I am understanding what you are trying to do. :icon_cheers:
Nige

Thanks again Nige, i understand, i get what you mean.

Its just a function that is available in older version, i don't understand why they would make you have to reverse guess or calculate yourself by only being able to change total water.

On the older version i can open any mash profile i want and change the values in the water to grain ratio.

cheers

Thanks again Nige, i understand, i get what you mean.

Its just a function that is available in older version, i don't understand why they would make you have to reverse guess or calculate yourself by only being able to change total water.

On the older version i can open any mash profile i want and change the values in the water to grain ratio.

cheers
Yeah,
Personally I have always just adjusted my water amount, keeping the ratio close enough to 'ideal' so no different in the new version for me.
I can see where you are coming from and it would of been nice to keep that option for those that use it.
Cheers
Nige

Latest posts

Back