BEERFEST 2015 comp moves to the Royal George Hotel in Kyneton

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Westgate has john Kingston , myself and Neil KAVANAGH ALL STAYING SAT NIGHT

Back on Beerfest...can anyone tell me what the thinking is behind having the cut-off date for entries 2 weeks before the comp? I remember last year the Worthogs allowed entries on the day of their Pale Ale Mania comp, so I'm just curious about the different approaches, to help us decide which way to go with our Specialty IPA comp.

Is it to do with having a good idea of how many beers there are to judge well before the date? Or giving bottle-conditioned beers plenty of time to settle? Or the fact it's up in Kyneton, etc etc?

Westgate used to allow entries on the day untill we got 35 ( for 70 total ) entries on the day which made for some serious data entry and delays...
The following year , we made the cut off , the week before...numbers dropped by 15...
Last year they were back up to 75 .At least we had all the enties logged and sorted the week of the competition , so we've stuck with no entries on the day...

Yep, it's to allow time for collection and time to enter all the data, my understanding is that there is some resistance to online only entries from some of the more.. Traditional people of the aged persuasion.. Having a mixture of online and manual entries is a bit of a nightmare as I understand things.. Wadd-aya-gunna-do

Up until a couple of years ago, entries were allowed on the day but when you have a big comp, it is a nightmare trying to arrange flights when you are accepting late entries. Some of the flights at recent beerfests have exceeded 40 and you have to manage that. More chance of things going wrong if you aren't prepped in advance. Even things like serving temp might be inconsistent with same day entries.

As you suggest too - knowing numbers is important for judge allocation, whether to split flights, etc.

Thanks guys. Manticle, how does Beerfest handle a flight with 40+ beers in it? e.g. the Pale Ale category last year had 45 entries. Did the same panel of judges score all 45 across multiple flights/days? Or did you have to use multiple panels of judges, with some kind of "mini best of show" at the end?

carniebrew said:
Thanks guys. Manticle, how does Beerfest handle a flight with 40+ beers in it? e.g. the Pale Ale category last year had 45 entries. Did the same panel of judges score all 45 across multiple flights/days? Or did you have to use multiple panels of judges, with some kind of "mini best of show" at the end?
It's a tricky one. You can split over 2 days with same judges or split over 2 tables of different judges if you have enough judges. Both have pros and cons. Really flights should be 10 - 15 in any given day in order to provide quality judging and feedback but that requires more judges and helpers (not just talking about beerfest - all comps). Organisers of comps are very aware of drawbacks and try different methods to make everything smoother and better. Not always easy to see the whys when you're not directly involved but people are considering these things carefully.

manticle said:
It's a tricky one. You can split over 2 days with same judges or split over 2 tables of different judges if you have enough judges. Both have pros and cons. Really flights should be 10 - 15 in any given day in order to provide quality judging and feedback but that requires more judges and helpers (not just talking about beerfest - all comps). Organisers of comps are very aware of drawbacks and try different methods to make everything smoother and better. Not always easy to see the whys when you're not directly involved but people are considering these things carefully.
Thanks. I hope you realise I'm asking in order to feed this experience into our MM comp should the situation arrive, not because I'm dubious of anyone's methods. Trying to soak up as much as possible at the moment. I've been reading the BJCP comp handbook, and things get complicated when it comes to having different panels of judges judging within a single category..."mini best of show" methods for deciding winners, etc etc.

Yeah I get that. Not seeing it as critical and even if it was, criticism when fairly worded and offered helps people improve.

Yob said:
Should have seen Linton at the end of it.. The judges deserve medals.. And liver transplants ;)
That was just Lintons warm up for the Saturday night fun.I don't think Kyneton realises what it's in for :lol:

From the event organisers..

Melbourne Brewers Beerfest Comp is on this Fri evening, Sat, and Sun at the Royal George in Kyneton. Entries have closed but now is your last chance to secure a leave pass and book a train ticket to Kyneton to be part of the action!

If you can get up there Friday arvo join us for golf from 1pm at Kyneton Golf Club - I think some actual golf is played.

The rest of the weekend will be spent enjoying the beers on tap at the George, being part of the action at the judging tables, quite a few raffles for decent prizes, some good food (discounts for Melbourne Brewers’ members), and the usual high-spirited frivolity that has become synonymous with this competition.

So go get that leave pass..

Chris and Lucinda are the operators out at Kyneton having taken over the Royal George Hotel last year, Chris Taylor is a member here and an avid lover of the craft as can be seen HERE and his support and efforts to create a club for the area HERE and of course his "We bought a Pub thread" HERE.

I for one am looking forward to the weekend and seeing what he's done with the place (and getting among the beers he's got on).

Not to mention also that the Eagles are playing at Hanging Rock this weekend also so it's probably going to be a big weekend all round, get amongst it or wait for the photo's :lol:

Popped in to the RG weekend before last.

Tilquin sour, Hargreaves ESB and Temple New World Order Am. Stout all hit the spot, as did the food.

The pulled pork empanadas were nom of the highest order !

Have fun to all who are attending the event.

OK, I've scored a leave-pass (but have to provide pre-5am Chauffeur-services for the rest of the week!).

I can get there on Saturday morning & am looking forward to catching-up with an ex-Pres. of the Melb. Brewers for a couple of beers into the bargain.

Any indication of timings for the Judging schedule? I'm happy to help-out wherever needed.

What's the situation for bagging swag-spots upstairs for the Saturday night?

manticle said:
Reserve with yob a sleeping spot. First flights at 9 on sat I believe.
Pretty sure if you bring the swag, space will be available, ($10 to RG) I'll pass along the intent to ensure a spot is available to you.

I'm only chief steward and helping out on multiple other details so have no input into judging rosters etc.. (can put you forward if you wish)

but we all know what the best position is don't we Martian? :lol:

ed: call me when you get there if you have trouble with access

Yob said:
I'm only chief steward and helping out on multiple other details so have no input into judging rosters etc..
Ha! Sucker!!!

but we all know what the best position is don't we Martian? :lol:
Yep, propping-up the bar, watching you have a nervous breakdown :D

ed: call me when you get there if you have trouble with access
I won't have a problem with access, mate - I'm with the band (& an ex-Pres.... B). I have friends in low places..)
If you want a hand with anything &/or want me to turn-up extra early on Saturday to lend a hand setting-up, just shoot me an SMS or PM.

I hope to have it in hand by Friday arvo though.. as you well know, a good amount of work early makes for less work late.

I hope to work hard Friday so I can 'monitor' Saturday.. your help is always welcome though mate :)

Looking like a great weekend,good to see a few people who don't usually make Mirboo turning up. :) I hope Chris has Gippsland Gold on tap,I'm really gonna miss that :rolleyes: :lol:

Hey guys any news on results for those of us who couldn't make it to Kyneton?

Back