Beerfest 2009 Needs You!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich_lamb

Reaction score
Beerfest 2009

Call for Judges and Stewards

This is an open request for Judges and Stewards for Beerfest, which will be held at Grand Ridge Brewery, Mirboo North, from Friday 20th February to Saturday 21st February 2009.

Entry forms and full details of the competition can be found on the website: www.beerfest.org.au

Brewers are encouraged to participate in the Judging and Stewarding activities, experienced or novice. Novice judges will be placed with more experienced judges
Feel free to give judging a go even if you've never done it before. It's a great way to explore beer styles, get understanding of what brewers are doing, and learn a lot on the way.

Changes to Beerfest 2009

Detailed style guidelines are available from the Beerfest website. This year we have compressed the schedule down to two days, so there is no longer a session on Sunday.

The schedule is expected to be:

FRIDAY (Starting time 7.00 PM)
Strong Ale & Lager, Pale Lager, Pale Ale
SATURDAY Morning (Starting time 9.30 AM)
Pale Ale, Dark Ale & Lager, Porter & Stout
SATURDAY Afternoon (Starting time 2 PM)
Belgian Ale, British Ale, Wheat & Rye Beer

The Pale Ale category is renowned for attracting many entries, and will be split into two sessions; we will attempt to use the same judges for both of these sessions.

Participant Incentives

In addition to the usual Beerfest activities the following benefits apply for Judges and Stewards:

* a BBQ lunch will be provided on Saturday
* coupons for free entry in the following year. Judges - 1 per sitting, Stewards and organisers - 1 per day

To register your interest, please email [email protected] with the following information:

- Name
- Home phone number & mobile number
- Availability for Friday 7pm, Saturday 9.30am and Saturday 2pm
- Top 3 preferred categories to judge
- Availability for stewarding Friday 7pm, Saturday 9.30am and Saturday 2pm

Judges are discouraged from judging categories which they have also eneterd in. The roster will be drawn up to try to ensure that this situation is avoided. Please do not nominate categories that you are planning on entering in.

The roster will finalised by Febuary 14th and participants will be notified accordingly. In addition, the roster and any updates will be published on the Beerfest website.

Richard Whitebrook
Beerfest Judge Director

The Melbourne Brewers

Already sent an email. Will hopefully be my 1st foray into the world of stewarding / judging B)

Rather than spam your email B&T, can non-club members roll out a swag at the scout hall?

Already sent an email. Will hopefully be my 1st foray into the world of stewarding / judging B)

Rather than spam your email B&T, can non-club members roll out a swag at the scout hall?

Club members and non-club members are all treated equally.

Camping arrangements and scout hall are open to all takers.

We are very appreciative of anyone who makes the effort to come up and get involved.

Thanks Chris. Thought this might be the case but wanted to check. Got the all clear from the boss yesterday :super: so now its in the diary and I'm really looking forward to it!

where is mirboo north ??

geezus just looked it up its past outer buttfuckway ....

might be a goer , depending on circumstances at the time , will get back in due course

Bump :)

It's coming up soon-ish guys, and I still need judges, so don't be backward in coming forward!

Oh, and Mirboo Nth. is actually pretty easy to get to. It's about an hour and a half from Melbourne eastern suburbs, lots of nice freeways to help.
I shoot up there after work on Friday, no problems.

Bump :)

It's coming up soon-ish guys, and I still need judges, so don't be backward in coming forward!

Oh, and Mirboo Nth. is actually pretty easy to get to. It's about an hour and a half from Melbourne eastern suburbs, lots of nice freeways to help.
I shoot up there after work on Friday, no problems.

I was really hoping that I was going to be able to come and/or judge - but that weekend is a compelte write off for me unfortunately. Planning on entering a few bottles though.

Brendo

Any more news on this? Was waiting for an email re- judging and then Mirboo was in the news today with the fires which jogged the ol' memory.

Any more news on this? Was waiting for an email re- judging and then Mirboo was in the news today with the fires which jogged the ol' memory.

Hi Wakkatoo

Still plenty of judging positions available, and the judge roster has been put up on the Beerfest website.

(The link to the roster is under the heading Judges and Stewards on the Judging Roster page and is not very obvious)

Emails will go out once we have the registrations and know how many entries in categories etc and can finalise the plan, by the 14th of Feb.

Give me a PM is you have any questions about roster allocations etc.

If anyone else is interested and have not responded please let us know sooner rather than latter.

We desperately need another 5 judges for Saturday and one for Friday night. Also we are happy to go 4 judges on tables if we get more people than places.

still a maybe bitter and twisted / chris taylor (although my judging experience is minimal to say the least) , my work circumstances have chanced recently.. will get back asap
dont wanna commit and then have to pull out later ,,,

still a maybe bitter and twisted / chris taylor (although my judging experience is minimal to say the least) , my work circumstances have chanced recently.. will get back asap
dont wanna commit and then have to pull out later ,,,

No problems Barra

Think that if you have been brewing for a year or two and/or know that there is more to beer than what CUB et al produce, you will have no problem with the judging. Having tried your beers I have complete confidence in you :)

Even if you are a maybe we would still like to know. If more people turn up then judging places we will just put 4 judges on a flight ... more usually its the problem of only having 2 judges turn up.

Okayyyy, just clicked on the link for the roster and only got a google documents page <_<

No sign of a roster....

Okayyyy, just clicked on the link for the roster and only got a google documents page <_<

No sign of a roster....

Hi Wakkatoo

The roster is in the form of a google document spreadsheet.

I have downloaded and attached a copy to this post, but you should be able to get to it directly from this link.

Sorry about this, I will get the web guru's onto it to make it a bit more accessible.

View attachment Beerfest2009_Judges.pdf

Thanks Chris,

I look forward to having some company in the Belgian category! I am a complete noob at this judging caper!!!

Latest posts

Back