Beerfest 2011 - Presented By The Melbourne Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chime away CM2,
I agree the specialty being a no no, but other categories? sure you can pick your own beer or your mates etc etc, but the threshold of the 7 would protect you and others. The spreads afterall can be boggling at times. So, I would see no problem with an entrant judging any cat besides chicken carcass apricot guenze.

Just throwing it out there.

There was another case recently (within the last two years) where someone won a category in which they were judging which caused a certain amount of discussion and embarassment, which was unfortunate and undeserved as it turns out.

Being an international volleyball referee, I can tell you that whilst I act completely professionally and in an unbiased manner, there is no way I would ever be assigned to a match in which Australia was playing - primarily (as Brendo suggested) to protect me from any potential accusations of bias and/or corruption.

I think the policy is in general sound and protects judges being inappropriately accused/flamed or (in rare circumstances I'm sure) tempted to act improperly.

That's my belief... others will vary.

[bugger - just read CM2's post... c'est la vie :) ]

My question how would the judges know whose beer it was i thought it was total unknown..

You cant tell me, judges havent tasted certain "good" beers and immediatly pick up on them in the flight. This happens.. I posted above :rolleyes: , that was the cat I was allocated and it so happened it was beers I had tasted days prior. If that beer was my wifes and tasted great, met guidelines and won........... yeah I see a problem.
Judges can be and are subjective and brew to particular styles and enter in that style, hence end up judging a cat they may have no interest in, thats the part that bothers me, good judges going to waste because they have an entry.

Mine will be the only Territory beer I think. I doubt if anyone else will enter.

BTW, I will come last in wheat beer. Nice to be considered though. :D

You cant tell me, judges havent tasted certain "good" beers and immediatly pick up on them in the flight. This happens.. I posted above :rolleyes: , that was the cat I was allocated and it so happened it was beers I had tasted days prior. If that beer was my wifes and tasted great, met guidelines and won........... yeah I see a problem.
Judges can be and are subjective and brew to particular styles and enter in that style, hence end up judging a cat they may have no interest in, thats the part that bothers me, good judges going to waste because they have an entry.
My 2c's I object to the idea that as a judge I'm "subjective" . I've brewed a lot of styles over the years and i would never favour one over another. Just because a judge has an entry in one cat. doesn't mean he/she can't judge another cat. and do the entries as much justice. IMO any judge that isn't prepared to judge non-preferred styles/classes,isn't serious about judging beer .I judged Pale Lagers and Specialties at Vicbrew and although at first(and probably second) :rolleyes: I wasn't looking forward to the lagers ,i now appreciate the experience.It's a real test to judge beers in the style of VB ,with minimal taste.NO.im not joking.Specialties were a blast! Judging a beer with no style guidelines,only judging ultimately.on drinkability,was great :D Good judges shouldn't go to waste IMO,because GOOD judges should always be prepared to expand their judging skills,and that means experiencing ,tasting ,and judging ALL the styles of beer, I really hope that anyone who's lucky enough to judge at a comp. would be prepared to give any class a go.Apart from making life a lot easier for judging organisers,you improve your own skills. :super:

Being an international volleyball referee, I can tell you that whilst I act completely professionally and in an unbiased manner,

Lol Andy, I'm sure you keep your eye on the ball, er.. em.. something round anyway :)

I think the point of perception is important & also the point of judging outside your comfort zone, just for the sake of avoiding peoples intergrity being questioned (not that I have any doubts of any of their honesty) it's probably sensible to keep the rule as is.

I dont think its even worth discussing to be honest. Its like a doctor operating on a friend or a supreme court judge ruling over one of their families cases.

Clouded judgment and knowing somones beer you have tasted is in your flight is enough for any judge to start searching for those flavours or keeping an eye out for them. Will i give them a biased score? Of course not. Not only is it unethical, chances are it could be somone elses beer anyway. My palate perception and score given will be that of how it matches against the guidelines. It could be the best dunkelweizen ive ever tasted but if it doesnt match the Fruit Lambic category, its going to score poorly. ;)

So what are people entering?

I'm scratching around trying to figure out if I have anything decent for this but will definately be coming up.
Tend to not brew to styles over the holiday season - which means I have stuff that falls into specialty or just plain mongrel beer.

Some of the stuff laying around in the brew cellar:
- An american brown that's red and the hops have dulled off and tastes almost english (doesn't really fit anywhere).
- An aussie pale ale that tastes like a euro lager because I used Special B in it in combination with pils and Super Pride (yep weird I know),
- A great american pale ale that's tasty enough but I forgot the whirlfloc, so it's as cloudy as a coopers!

How many points off for a hazy APA that tastes good judges? :p

Hopper.

How many points off for a hazy APA that tastes good judges? :p

Hopper.
so we all know to cane the hazy APA now cause its yours! :lol:

im seriosuly running out of time to enter anything. which is a real shame. damn me and penachant for 'no style' brewing. maybe i can get my experimental wheat up and ready for the comp....

I'm planning on a Bock, schwarzbier (lagering at the mo), apa (in fermenter at the mo), and a Boh Pil or Butterscotch Boh Pil :)

Don't really have anything to style at the moment:
- A cloudy Aussie Pale Ale fermented with US-05 and late addition of POR flowers?
- A hop monster IIPA with 200+ calculated IBU's?
- A straight-down-the-line Dr Smurto's Golden Ale?

All good beers, imho, but I don't see how I could shoehorn them into any of the available styles? Give me another couple of weeks and I'll have a to-style Porter ready, but not before 5th of March, I'm afraid.

Don't make me go looking for information on my own people...

Am I right in saying there is no specialty category? And what is the minimum entry amount?

If there is a special cat, and if you are prepared to accept a single stubby (maybe two), I was toying with entering the eis-ale I brought to the vic caseswap. But I only have 4 stubbies left, and it's a very precious drop...

Am I right in saying there is no specialty category? And what is the minimum entry amount?

If there is a special cat, and if you are prepared to accept a single stubby (maybe two), I was toying with entering the eis-ale I brought to the vic caseswap. But I only have 4 stubbies left, and it's a very precious drop...

Sorry mate... only VicBrew has a specialty category at this stage - it is in disucssion for possible inclusion in the future however.

edit: oh and I remember tasting that beer... :super:

I was toying with entering the eis-ale I brought to the vic caseswap. But I only have 4 stubbies left, and it's a very precious drop...

that was a great drop.

Sorry mate... only VicBrew has a specialty category at this stage - it is in disucssion for possible inclusion in the future however.

edit: oh and I remember tasting that beer... :super:
Thanks Brendo - in both counts.

Mk2 is next in the brew line. Not sure whether to tweak or leave as is... I fear that my personality type is beyond NOT tweaking.

where's everyone staying, the brewery accomadation is out, are you just pitching tents or somewhere else that can be got too ?

is there taxi's ?

cheers
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back