Beerfest 2011 - Presented By The Melbourne Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woohoo! The online entry system is great - I've just entered my beers for the comp.

And there's still a few judging spots left too I see (from the website).

Has anybody thought of bringing a luminous football for Saturday night, or will we just do our usual job of drinking what we can from the taps Grand ridge before going down and showing the locals how not to play pool?

Glad you like the entry process online B&T. We have been hoping it would be painless for entrants and i think AndyD has done a fantastic job at setting it up.

Love it or hate it, this is the future of competition entry process and we have to ride with the changes. IMO everyone has to jump onto a PC to print out their entry forms so why not do it all online? Seems quite logical to me. I'm going to do mine tonight (hopefully) and i bet it will take a 1/4 of the time it takes me to do it on paper. Not to mention having to organise the correct amount of money in cash for 1/2 doz entries. All paid up, direct from paypal. Secure, convenient and efficient.

Woohoo! The online entry system is great - I've just entered my beers for the comp.

And there's still a few judging spots left too I see (from the website).

Has anybody thought of bringing a luminous football for Saturday night, or will we just do our usual job of drinking what we can from the taps Grand ridge before going down and showing the locals how not to play pool?
Soccer or afl ball ? and i hope i don't get Australian style Pale Lagers ! ;)

A question from a competition virgin....

I have a Raspberry wheat beer I am considering putting in.

Which of the categories would it fit under (if any)

I can see there is a wheat beer "style" but I dont know enough about the categories to know if I would fit in.

I had a look at the BJCP site and see that there is a Fruit beer style.

Does a raspberry wheat bear classify as a wheat beer or fruit beer?

If it is a fruit beer does that mean it does fit the Beerfest styles?

Thanks

A question from a competition virgin....

I have a Raspberry wheat beer I am considering putting in.

Which of the categories would it fit under (if any)

I can see there is a wheat beer "style" but I dont know enough about the categories to know if I would fit in.

I had a look at the BJCP site and see that there is a Fruit beer style.

Does a raspberry wheat bear classify as a wheat beer or fruit beer?

If it is a fruit beer does that mean it does fit the Beerfest styles?

Thanks

Sorry mate - Beerfest does not currently run a specialty category (where this beer would fit).

Currently the only comp catering for specialty beers is Vicbrew.

Cheers

Brendo

Ok brendo - how about this one.

When I made it the recipe I found called it a Cranberry Maibock. But I am starting to think it is justy another "fruit beer"

I see that Maibock is one of the categories...

The original recipe said it was - but you cant believe everything your read on the interweb can you

1 can Blackrock Whispering Wheat Malt Ext
1 Can Black rock Light Unhopped Malt Ext
2 cups Honey
2 Cinnamon Sticks
3 or 4 can Whole Cranberry Sauce (pureed)
4 Whole Allspice berries
2 jars Orange Marmalade (10oz)

????

Thanks
Paul

Hey Paul

The problem is mate that you have both fruit and spices in there - which you would not expect in a classic representation of the style - so you would lose points for it. If entered in a specialty fruit category, you would do better.

I don't think this would fare well outside of a specialty entry. Nothing stopping you from entering it for feedback on fermentation, etc. If you were to enter it, I would probably lean more to a wheat or Belgian entry - hard to advise further without trying it.

Cheers

Brendo

Sorry mate - Beerfest does not currently run a specialty category (where this beer would fit).

Currently the only comp catering for specialty beers is Vicbrew.

Cheers

Brendo

I have to stop putting Rye in all my IPAs! I've got a cracker I'm drinking at the moment but 20% Rye puts it outside the IPA style guidelines.

I have to stop putting Rye in all my IPAs! I've got a cracker I'm drinking at the moment but 20% Rye puts it outside the IPA style guidelines.

1. Don't stop using rye... You will make Maple cry

2. Depends on how prominent it comes across in the flavour I guess - depending on how hoppy it is you might get away with it, but if it has loads of rye spice, it could be problematic.

OK - third time lucky....hopefully one of these fits a category.

My problem is I just makes beer and have no idea about styles - then I try fit what I make to a style.
Perhaps I should start the other way around

Dark Ale -perhaps???

Choc Coffee Ale

1 Can ESB Darling Downs Draught.
1kg LDME
250ml expresso coffee
120g Black Patent Malt
120g Chocolate Malt
120g Dark Crystal Malt
45 g Willamette Hops @ 45 mins
10g Willamette @10mins
Nottingham yeat

Depending on how pronounced the coffee flavour is - maybe a brown porter or dry stout perhaps? Possibly an Aust Dark/old ale (not familiar enough with the style).

Grab a bottle, sit down with the style guidelines and see what you taste to work out where it fits best.

Rye is NOT a style limiter. You can use it in a pale lager and still fair well. Besides, it's down to the judges pallet and their interpretation of the style. Personally, not many beers that I make come out rye-free. 20% is just a hint anyway! Enter it. (and send one to me :) )

Rye is NOT a style limiter.

Unfortunately the style guidelines for American IPA say "Versions with a noticeable Rye
character should be entered in the Specialty category." I don't know of any other style that specifically say that Rye is not appropriate.

I'm down to my last few so I think I'll just enjoy them and not going to enter as I know it is outside the guidelines and brew another for Vicbrew. Maybe one with and another without Rye so I can enter into AIPA and specialty...

2. Depends on how prominent it comes across in the flavour I guess - depending on how hoppy it is you might get away with it, but if it has loads of rye spice, it could be problematic.

This point is the key. Generally i find rye, especially in really BIG and hoppy beers (Looking at maple) The rye character blends with the hop bill quite well and the upfront characters of rye which you would notice in any other beer take the backseat. Most judges wouldnt pick up on it. its a distinct flavour but mixed with a wall of hops in an IPA, I treat it like any other specialty malt. e.g. biscuit/melanoiden/vienna.

Rye is NOT a style limiter. You can use it in a pale lager and still fair well. Besides, it's down to the judges pallet and their interpretation of the style. Personally, not many beers that I make come out rye-free. 20% is just a hint anyway! Enter it. (and send one to me :) )

Agree and as noted above

Unfortunately the style guidelines for American IPA say "Versions with a noticeable Rye
character should be entered in the Specialty category." I don't know of any other style that specifically say that Rye is not appropriate.

I'm down to my last few so I think I'll just enjoy them and not going to enter as I know it is outside the guidelines and brew another for Vicbrew. Maybe one with and another without Rye so I can enter into AIPA and specialty...

If you are just wanting feedbeack in specilty category, ignore the below. if you are shooting for medals, keep reading.

Between you and me and as a judge who has judged specialty category at VICBREW before. Unless the rye in your RIPA is massive, unique and all out the most interesting beer you have ever brewed. Do not enter it in the specialty category. It will fair 10* better in the IPA category by simply brewing your typical recipe and adjust the late hopping x2. By the time they get to yours, their palates are shot by hops so if the aroma stands out like the proverbial dogs... the better. the points you will not gain (you wont loose anything for having rye) is if its imbalanced due to rye or distinctly rye but as i said. Most probabaly wont pick up on it in HB examples.

I know the BJCP guidelines say otherwise but trust me, when you get beers in specialty it has to be really unique, innovative AND hit that flavor descriptor on the head otherwise it doesnt fair well (and by well i mean over 35 points). Its all about pushing the boundaries in most judges eyes.

E.g. a oak aged chocolate porter for example. It better have noticable oak thats balanced with BEAUTIFUL cacao notes, be a good example of a porter (they better give a sub style to go with it as well or otherwise they are being to generic IMO) and all in all a great harmony between those three things.

I hope this helps. ;)

That's what I'm trying to convey, however not so eloquantly. Enter it.

Wow, that Dark Lager and Ale is a vast category :eek:

Vienna Lager, Oktoberfest/Marzen, North German Altbier, California Common Beer,
Munich Dunkel, Schwarzbier, Northern English Brown Ale, Southern English Brown Ale,
Australian Old/Dark Ale, Dusseldorf Altbier, American Brown Ale, American Amber Ale

Just checking my stocks, I have 5 potential entries in this cat. hmm :unsure:

edit, delete "now"

Wow, that Dark Lager and Ale is a vast category :eek:

Vienna Lager, Oktoberfest/Marzen, North German Altbier, California Common Beer,
Munich Dunkel, Schwarzbier, Northern English Brown Ale, Southern English Brown Ale,
Australian Old/Dark Ale, Dusseldorf Altbier, American Brown Ale, American Amber Ale

Just checking my stocks, I have 5 potential entries in this cat. hmm :unsure:

edit, delete "now"

Guess who currently has the joy of judging it! :icon_cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back