Beerfest 2011 - Presented By The Melbourne Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta bottle some of my scottish ale before I drink it all... its quite good IMO. Maybe try and get a bottle of my pale lager (need feedback) and my latest golden ale just because.

Looking forward to judging for the first time

I`ll have another dip at this, $11 an entry is a bit rich. Why has it become so expensive? Last year the judges and stewards had to buy their own lunch n dinner, this year I see some sort of organised BBQ happening, but should the entrants pay for that. :unsure:
Is it all about insurances and the new incorporated model the Melbourne Brewers have taken up? I feel its a prohibitive entry fee. I am a member of Melbourne and I certainly dont agree with $11 a pop. I think its a rip off, if I get some of those tick tick tick no comment judging sheets back.
Time will tell and I wish everyone entering and visiting, good luck, its a great comp.

How much was last year? I entered 2 bottles but have forgotten the entry fee.

I don't think $11 seems outrageous but maybe if people are entering multiples then 11 for the first, 8 for each subsequent one etc might be a goer.

I disagree Mants, maybe not outrageous, but prohibitive to some. If the judging is up to scratch, fair enough for $8 or thereabouts. Some sheets just carry ticks n circles n no comments though..... that sucks when you are paying $11, $8 or $5.
It was shown up at Vicbrew that we are lacking judges, the feedback from MH wasnt dire but it wasnt enthusiastic either, i.e need more help next year or maybe no Vicbrew, close enough not verbatim were the words.
Beerfest is the 2nd biggest comp on the Vic calender after Vicbrew, its hosted to some in the middle of nowhere, will it attract quality judging? Will we have to put up with the Vicbrew senario of 2 judges on certain flights and averages? Then other flights having wide spreads? It can be a bit of hit n miss I reckon.
I will enter a couple of brews at the discount of $10 an entry....woo hoo, with caution.

I disagree Mants, maybe not outrageous, but prohibitive to some. If the judging is up to scratch, fair enough for $8 or thereabouts. Some sheets just carry ticks n circles n no comments though..... that sucks when you are paying $11, $8 or $5.
It was shown up at Vicbrew that we are lacking judges, the feedback from MH wasnt dire but it wasnt enthusiastic either, i.e need more help next year or maybe no Vicbrew, close enough not verbatim were the words.
Beerfest is the 2nd biggest comp on the Vic calender after Vicbrew, its hosted to some in the middle of nowhere, will it attract quality judging? Will we have to put up with the Vicbrew senario of 2 judges on certain flights and averages? Then other flights having wide spreads? It can be a bit of hit n miss I reckon.
I will enter a couple of brews at the discount of $10 an entry....woo hoo, with caution.

I agree that detailed feedback should be a given for any entry fee. I just couldn't remember what last year's was. The idea of whatever price for first entry then discounts for subsequent ones though has merit yes?

I agree that detailed feedback should be a given for any entry fee. I just couldn't remember what last year's was. The idea of whatever price for first entry then discounts for subsequent ones though has merit yes?

Yes :icon_cheers:

Isn't that standard practice?

P.s anyone be kind enough to let me use their CPBF?

Ok, now to diffuse the situation regarding cost of entries.

As most are aware, The British Ales competition in 2010 was ran exclusively via the compmaster website taking nothing but online entries. There was no traditional entry form. This year for Beerfest 2011 it is in our interest and the entrant to enter via this media. The catch?

If compmaster is still to go ahead as it is my understanding, there will be a $2 discount off the price of entries via this format. In fact, making it cheaper to enter Beerfest than last year.

Offline/Paper Entries: $11 non-club/independent entries, $9 vicbrew related club members
Online Entries: $9 Non-club/independent entries, $7 vicbrew related club members

If you wish to enter via the traditional entry format, this incurs a $2 charge extra per entry. By transitioning to the online entry format, this will ensure the compeition can be run in the smoothest and most accurate format as possible. Something which is quite difficult with a competition of its size.

More to come soon for entering via compmaster... We just need AndyD to 'go live' on the website and we are good to go.

Cheers. :icon_cheers:

Nice, so we get the benefit of cheaper entry, no need to print out and manually fill-in forms, and I presume we should get faster turn around of results (seeing as all details are already on computer).

Sounds like Win, Win, Win to me!

Wasn't going to bother entering Beerfest this time around, but have a Hop Monster(tm) I might put in as an Imperial IPA.

Ok, now to diffuse the situation regarding cost of entries.

As most are aware, The British Ales competition in 2010 was ran exclusively via the compmaster website taking nothing but online entries. There was no traditional entry form. This year for Beerfest 2011 it is in our interest and the entrant to enter via this media. The catch?

If compmaster is still to go ahead as it is my understanding, there will be a $2 discount off the price of entries via this format. In fact, making it cheaper to enter Beerfest than last year.

Offline/Paper Entries: $11 non-club/independent entries, $9 vicbrew related club members
Online Entries: $9 Non-club/independent entries, $7 vicbrew related club members

If you wish to enter via the traditional entry format, this incurs a $2 charge extra per entry. By transitioning to the online entry format, this will ensure the compeition can be run in the smoothest and most accurate format as possible. Something which is quite difficult with a competition of its size.

More to come soon for entering via compmaster... We just need AndyD to 'go live' on the website and we are good to go.

Cheers. :icon_cheers:

Like Haysie, I think the prices are getting a bit stiff to be honest & thought the same last year, are the organisers trying to limit entries to keep the comp to a manageable size?
There are plenty of older brewers who are in no way computer literate / dont do online transactions & are going to pay $2 extra per entry, a bit stiff. Surely there are enough members in MB to help with admin to avoid this deterrent?
Why the increase in pricing, prizes have neither increased in value or category range.

Lucky I stumbled across this thread again, as there was no mention of paying online on the entryform. just saved myself a dozen beer tokens.

Seems to me a few extra club members should put their hands up to help organise, not just with admin, it was a small few last year doing all the work with the food too. Perhaps it is lack of delegation or pehaps lack of willing volunteers?

Not trying to put the comp down, it's a great comp, fun location (even if a little remote), great weekend of beer rambling, & always nice to catch up with members of the other brew clubs; It's like meeting all the relatives, it only happens at weddings or funerals (or for homebrewers it's beer comps).

I think thats a real good post Jack, not only because I agree with you.. but the older members are not up and maybe dont want to be up to Paypal and Visa online stuff. To pay a premium to print out a form,fill it out and drop it off seems not right. Sure monies go missing when brewers drop off and it should not be the drop off point`s responsiblilty to check that....... there are certainly problems re. this side of things. How you get it around I`m not sure? but if there wasnt a cash/chq payment on the bottle when entries are being collated, I dont think it would be much to ph. haysie and say "we aint got payment and cant submit the entry" unless you do this or that.
If Jack the shop assistant needed some fags and borrowed the $ in the envelope, there lies another problem. For years its always worked well as an honesty system.
You can lead a horse to water but cant make it drink etc etc etc

:icon_offtopic: Jack, has that scotch ale aged another year? :icon_drool2:

I'm curious to know if these issues have been brought up at club/organising committee level,and if so,what the responses were :drinks:

I'm curious to know if these issues have been brought up at club/organising committee level,and if so,what the responses were :drinks:

Not sure what isues you are referring to Toper?
The issue of entries entered and monies received has been a thorn in the side for some time. The issue of entry fees and how entrants enter is done at a committee level. At a club meet its a bit out of sorts to throw these questions up, i.e rip off entry fees. You trust the judgement of the committee at the end of the day.

In fairness to Melbourne, the orginisation was far from great last year but we had a change of secretary at the last minute, didnt help, i.e the feedback to him re. assistance etc never got thru to the new fella.

Melbourne would love as many entries as we can get.

Nothing has been brought up directly with club/organising committee, however Fourstar has posted as part of the committee in at least one response.

I will discuss with the rest of the committee andwe will respond in due course.

Quite a few beers I'm considering entering although some I may reconsider and some may not be ready.

All could be a bit outside style too - my ESB/IPA* is too strong for an esb and possibly slightly too dark for an IPA. Have another esb finishing off so might be ready in time. My saison was accidentally brewed with Marris Otter (nice result) instead of dingeman's pilsner so has that characteristic british ale feel despite being mashed at 63 and despite hitting 1002.

I also may have a specialty beer ready - cherry ripe porter. Would this go in spec/fruit or spec/other?

*Apologies to Terry Foster but what can I do?

Nothing has been brought up directly with club/organising committee, however Fourstar has posted as part of the committee in at least one response.

Whens due course? It is 3 weeks and a bit from closing.
You Brendo having started the thread, should have far more input than you are offering.

Whens due course? It is 3 weeks and a bit from closing.
You Brendo having started the thread, should have far more input than you are offering.

Due course would be once I have had some feedback from the rest of the committee - I am not the comp organizer, just a volunteer helping out - starting this thread being one of those things.

As always Haysie - you are more than welcome to directly contact any of the committee members - you have our email addresses and phone numbers. Public forums however are your preferred method of slinging mud and I personally don't appreciate you telling me how I should be spending my spare time or whether I contribute to the club enough.

Official response, as I said earlier is pending.

Not sure what isues you are referring to Toper?
The issue of entries entered and monies received has been a thorn in the side for some time. The issue of entry fees and how entrants enter is done at a committee level. At a club meet its a bit out of sorts to throw these questions up, i.e rip off entry fees. You trust the judgement of the committee at the end of the day.

In fairness to Melbourne, the orginisation was far from great last year but we had a change of secretary at the last minute, didnt help, i.e the feedback to him re. assistance etc never got thru to the new fella.

Melbourne would love as many entries as we can get.

Thanks for the clarification Haysie,i didn't realise these things ie: entry costs,etc,were such an issue with people.I see your point on several things,especially the "ticks and circles" style of judging.Thats lazy judging,and needs to be addressed.My apologies to anyone whose entry i committed that sin on . The issue of more support from members seems be an ongoing one,unfortunately :( As for Mirboo being "out of the way" ,i think you city fellas need to toughen up a bit :lol: I travel 6/7 hours to get there ,and then home again, And i don't regret it for a minute,a feckin' great weekend And Haysie,were you the one cuddling up to the "inflateable girlfriend" at the pub in mirboo last year? :p

Due course would be once I have had some feedback from the rest of the committee - I am not the comp organizer, just a volunteer helping out - starting this thread being one of those things.

As always Haysie - you are more than welcome to directly contact any of the committee members - you have our email addresses and phone numbers. Public forums however are your preferred method of slinging mud and I personally don't appreciate you telling me how I should be spending my spare time or whether I contribute to the club enough.

I didnt read it as telling you what to do in your spare time. Contrary, since you started the thread and have offered nothing is what I said! If that is mudslinging, bad luck, HTFU is the mantra.
Why would I email you Brendo? theres a forum here that you voluntarily started, but dismissed everybody................ as all good because Fourstar posted.
If you want to sling, start right here.......

Thanks for the clarification Haysie,i didn't realise these things ie: entry costs,etc,were such an issue with people.I see your point on several things,especially the "ticks and circles" style of judging.Thats lazy judging,and needs to be addressed.My apologies to anyone whose entry i committed that sin on . The issue of more support from members seems be an ongoing one,unfortunately :( As for Mirboo being "out of the way" ,i think you city fellas need to toughen up a bit :lol: I travel 6/7 hours to get there ,and then home again, And i don't regret it for a minute,a feckin' great weekend And Haysie,were you the one cuddling up to the "inflateable girlfriend" at the pub in mirboo last year? :p

Never said it wasnt a great weekend Toper :icon_cheers:

fellas like Brendo,and all MBers, and individuals, who contribute their time and effort to vicbrew,beerfest,and the anhc need to be congratulated,thanked ,and supported,not given shit on here.I find it hard to believe these things can't be discussed at a club meeting,surely thats part of what they're for :unsure: IMO more people prepared to put their hands up to assist with all the "dirty little jobs" wouldn't go astray ie: putting tables and chairs out,washing glasses,etc.These events will only continue with the support of brewers and volounteers,all of whom do it free of charge,Thanks to them all i say :beer:Everyone's entitled to their opinion,but i'd think it'd be fair to bring the issues up with the committee in a first instance,before a public forum, i don't think they bite <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back