Beer To Go With Curry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batz enjoys his Alt with a good German Curry :blink:

A really good Thai red curry made with coconut milk/cream is balanced out beautifully with a Weizen with good banana/clove esters. Would put a horn on a Jellyfish.

My Missus makes a pretty mean Laksa and I like nothing better than my robust red beer that has a lot of munich. Means it can stamp it's authority on a level taste bud playing field against the zing of the chilli.

cheers

Browndog

Actually. I know I advocated a pale ale with an (Indian) curry.

However I'll throw another iron in the fire... When I was in Malaysia on a couple of occasions I noticed the locals drinking lukewarm Guinness foreign stout with their food. Being quite cheap for a longneck I decided "When In Rome" and tried it. :)

Some of the spicier Malay and Vietnamese dishes sit well with stouts in their own weird way. The big roasty body of Coopers Best Xtra seems to kill chilli quite well or I'm imagining things. :beerbang:

Warren -

coopers as well, but the sparkling would be the choice for me! clean taste, higher alcohols to strip the strong flavours from the tongue... plus the feelings of well being.. what a winner!! :D

I'm with Darren on this one... tip the curry it'll ruin a good beer, then you can drink what you want :p

Cheers Ross

Batz enjoys his Alt with a good German Curry :blink:

Well Screwtop must enjoy his weizen with a good Bavarian curry then :blink: :huh:

Batz

Ah Batz... ditch the beer and have a glass of chilled wine with the curry. Beer and food don't mix !!
We are being told all these trendy ideas at the moment of matching beer and food and frankly its a con.
Just another way for big breweries to compete with the ever growing awareness of the food / wine rage.
Beer IS a food, so why make it complicated.

cheers
Redgums

Beer and food don't mix !!
We are being told all these trendy ideas at the moment of matching beer and food and frankly its a con.

:blink: :blink:

Don't agree at all. I think beer goes really well with food. :chug:

I think something hoppy goes really well with spicy food. I've also enjoyed a nice fruity Belgian with Indian food. I'm sure a weizen would be good too. If it's really hot food (which north Indian food is usually not, except in pseudo-Indian restaurants) then I tend not to drink the beer till the end of the meal, when it tastes great. :super:

Not sure if this is a problem, but I've always found that drinking beer with hot curries makes you drink quicker. I get pissed fast with beer and hot curries.

Yoghurt, coconut and cucumber go well with curries..maybe put a beer in it all, blend it and call it a beer smoothie?

pint o lager n a chicken vindaloo ....my favourite meal. Any lager, I honestly dont care, Kingfisher, VB, carlton cold...what ever they've got. Bloody beautiful!
Cheers
Steve

I had a curry the other day and accompanied it with Knappstein Reserve lager. The Nelson hops seems to go extremely well with hot flavours in any food.

Cheers, Jim

In my younger days when I couldn't handle the chili like I can now, I recall eating a vindaloo take-away in the beer garden of the local.

Half an hour into it I'd knocked back 6 schooies of swill and I was only half way through the curry. I took the rest home, and perhaps helped along by the effects of the beer, I ate the rest with ice cream.

Scott

Hi Guys,
Looking for a beer to go with a curry I'm having, any suggestions?

Cheers

Paul

Garrett oliver has a book called the "brewmasters table" all about matching beer
and food. It has a table in the book matching beers with food.

For Indian Mild Dishes he says:
Weissbier, witbier, helles, kolsch, belgian strong ale, pilsner, british pale ale

For spicy dishes:
saison, pilsner, dortmunder, hellesbock, American IPA

-braufrau

Latest posts

Back