Beer To Go With Curry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul H

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Looking for a beer to go with a curry I'm having, any suggestions?

Cheers

Paul

Any pale ale would be nice. Little Creatures would not be out of place. :)

Warren -

Not any indian beer, they're all pretty crap and just seem to be no different from a standard Euro or Aussie swill lager.

I'd go a nice Pils, something like Urquell or Budvar, but Warren's suggestion of a nice APA like LCPA, LC Bright Ale or even the James Squire IPA or Golden Ale might be nice. Something with lots of hop bitterness and oils to help cleanse the palate :chug:

Just can't beat a bananery Weizen with a curry. Beeuuuddifullll!

I love my curries,why spoil it with a yukky wheat! <_<

Batz

Lamb Byriani - Pilsner

Madras Curry - Aussie Pale Ale

Chicken Tandori - English bitter

Roghon Josh - Brown Ale

Chicken Tikka - Porter

Beef Vindaloo - Any cold beer or liquid but dont drink the finger dip with the lemons in to wash your hands in . :eek:

Pumpy :)

With really hot food, you can even go a generic Aussie lager in a pinch. The sewer aroma of slab beer is almost lost in the big flavours of the food and you just get that spritzy mouth cleansing effect.

With Indian and Malay dishes I like hoppy ales like an APA or IPA. Or Coopers pale. And I like the sound of the weizen too, though I havent tried that one. Malays drink a lot of stout, for some reason, but Im not sure its the best match for their food.

Thai and Vietnamese food might go better with something light and refreshing like a flowery pils or rice lager or a kolsch. In Thailand where choice is limited I drank Bintang, Tiger, San Miguel and generic lagers like Heineken, all great with the local food. Like drinking a cleanskin red with a beautiful juicy steak, this is a case of the food making the drink taste good.

In Thailand where choice is limited I drank Bintang, Tiger, San Miguel and generic lagers like Heineken, all great with the local food. Like drinking a cleanskin red with a beautiful juicy steak, this is a case of the food making the drink taste good.

Hey Deebee why no Singha? Not a real bad drop at all. :beerbang: Keep Chang though. <_<

Warren -

I think a nice and bitter bohemian pilsner, like james squire or even better Urquell.

I will 2nd that :D :D .
You trow out the bait and you will get a bite. :p
Any non megaswill beer with curry which includes a Beeuuuddifull Weizen will do just nice thank you very much.

QUOTE(Screwtop @ Jan 19 2007, 04:24 PM)

I'll second that!

Yeah me too - been drinking my german hefe with thai curries this summer, love them!

I love my curries,why spoil it with a yukky wheat! <_<

Batz

Begs the question as to why anyone would enjoy curry in the first place?

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt. :D

cheers

Darren

like Pumpy says, depends what curry.
cheap, fizzy and cold to put out the fire with a vindaloo, but mmmm a big bananaish wheat beer would be smart thinking.

Pilsner goes terrific with curry! A good PA works too.

Alt with curry

Latest posts

Back