Beer Out Os A Pete Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasty73

Reaction score
Well I have tasted my first beer out of a PETE bottle, pured it into a clean glass and it is shite!!!! I have had a carton of stubbies of the same beer and I don't like PETE!!!! It has less carbination, no head when poured into the galss and is generally disappointing.

Please post recipe, OG, FG, carbonation method, amount used, time spent carbonating. These variables will affect the things you mention.

did you have bottles in glass as well as plastic for a direct comparison?

Bwahaha!

Did you double the priming sugar in the PET (compared to the stubbies)?

Yes I have beer in glass stubbies and they were great!!! I did put in the right amount of priming sugar, it was the same amount I use for tallies.

i dont want to know how he is getting it out of pete once its inside him.

Batch 15 is the recipe and all it's details.

beer2.jpg

OK, they are recylable plastic bottles.....hahahahahahahaha

Yes I have beer in glass stubbies and they were great!!! I did put in the right amount of priming sugar, it was the same amount I use for tallies.

Which are twice the volume! Did you bulk prime?

PET feels wrong after glass, but is just as get after you get over your bias.

The thermal inertia of glass vs plastic makes you feel ripped off!

Nice notes fasty - replicable which is always good if the brew is good.

I've never had any difference in the flavour between brown PET and brown glass. Or were they clear PET? If clear then you may have 'skunked' beer in most cases, though I'm of the belief that the Mexican Cerveza's hops don't skunk?

Do you mean you split the brew between glass and PET or is this a second brew using the same recipe?

I've never had any difference in the flavour between brown PET and brown glass. Or were they clear PET? If clear then you may have 'skunked' beer in most cases, though I'm of the belief that the Mexican Cerveza's hops don't skunk?

I'd have thought any home brewed beer can "skunk" or get light struck, regardless what's in it or how good it's made.

If you are talking about a commercial example of this beer (corona is the obvious) then it's because they spend truckloads of money on additives that reduce or eliminate light strike so they can get away with using clear glass.

There's certainly nothing much special about this tin of goo, and yes i use it regularly, but certainly not by itself or a kilo of sugar. Most of my brews are All Grain but if i need something quick i use the mex cerveza with some specialty malts, rice and fresh hops.

batch 15 hey? The beer is F*cking nice but you're saying its shite?

Also, i dont think the Jews on this forum would appreicate the use of the star of david. :lol:

Awww , dude, there's your answer right there..

You added finnings!

Would have been so much nicerer if you had of added finings....

though I'm of the belief that the Mexican Cerveza's hops don't skunk?

What are these magic mexican hops you speak of ?

I have heard that isohop extract may reduce the off flavours from lightstrike, but regular hopping will be the same regardless of variety.

Awww , dude, there's your answer right there..

You added finnings!

Would have been so much nicerer if you had of added finings....

Finnings - New Zealand beer clarification????

Can't say i find much of a difference in terms of taste between PET and glass. I just don't have the satisfaction levels, twisting a bottle top open versus cracking a crown using a bottle opener. I find it a lot more fun.

Latest posts

Back