Beer in Keg starting getting a bit sweet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimoB

Reaction score
Hey AHB heads...

So, I made a 7% Munich Mosaic smash... when first kegged, it was bloody great. I mean WOW!!!

I force carbed and did the shake method as was in a rush to try. 2 weeks later my beer doesn't taste like crap but it's not the same. I'm getting more of a sweetness taste, the bitterness has subsided and the aroma has dropped. I was thinking maybe it was an overly c02 taste or the deadly oxidisation. I am very careful, but I'm not sure.

I don't get the wet cardboard but it's just turned a bit average.

What are your thoughts??

Cheers,
SIMO

dry hop with some more mosaic in a stainless tea ball....or drink quicker!

had it gotten clearer
if thats the case yeast will absorb some bitterness and when the yeast drops out the same happens with some of the bitterness

Is it losing carbonation at all? I find carbonic acid gives me a perceived bitterness.

barls said:
had it gotten clearer
if thats the case yeast will absorb some bitterness and when the yeast drops out the same happens with some of the bitterness
yes very clear - it was less than half left in the keg. I'm thinking that is the case. Which somewhat makes me feel a lot better.
!

bradsbrew said:
Diacetyl creeping in?
I'm hoping not - if it is I need to do some more research on this because I don't really understand it yet.

Steve said:
dry hop with some more mosaic in a stainless tea ball....or drink quicker!
Yes to both - next time I will give it a crack. Almost finished now.

jimmy86 said:
Is it losing carbonation at all? I find carbonic acid gives me a perceived bitterness.
I don't really have my beer overly carbonated. however, it would have dropped since the begining. The bitterness that is there, does not seem it came from hops.

Man totally confused haha.

bradsbrew said:
Diacetyl creeping in?
Is that possible? How does diacetyl 'appear' after a finished product is kegged? Or, would there have akways been some diacetyl and it becomes more apparent over time?

It's similar to a soda water taste, that's if you can pick it through all the mosaic and 7% abv lol

slcmorro said:
Is that possible? How does diacetyl 'appear' after a finished product is kegged? Or, would there have akways been some diacetyl and it becomes more apparent over time?
? I really need to understand diacetyl

slcmorro said:
Diacetyl precursors, acetolactate, may be present if the yeast were stressed or the beer wasn't left to mature on the yeast sufficiently. Then if the beer then was aerated during kegging you can get oxidation of these precursors to form diacetyl. So the lack of diacetyl at the time of kegging is no guarantee that diacetyl will not develop later.

Smelt tonight and had butterscotch smell. Didn't even drink it. Diacetyl your sure. I've read up and learnt that won't be happening again.

Latest posts

Back