'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I want a Choc Porter, so I dont want it to be bitter...

1x Can of Coopers Dark Ale (boiled for 30 mins so the bitterness isnt crazy..)
1x Can of Coopers Pale Ale (Pale Ale because again i dont want to bitter a beer)
750g Choc Malt
500g Dex (purely to get Alc% over7%)
15g Sterling Hops (at end of boil)

S-04 yeast

OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS! perticularly about the Hops, and the Dex, should I use brown sugar instead? or Malt extract?

Just suggestions:

for less bitter porter replace the can of Pale Ale with a can of unhopped malt extract,
or go half way and add 1 3rd can of malt extract and up the volume by 20%.

or use Pale Ale and get some Morgans Dark Crystal to make it black

i am thinking along the lines of something like this will be my 2nd toucan after a 2x homebrand lager -

will this turn out more stouty??

2x coopers dark ale kits
150g choc malt
150g cara aroma
500g dex
20g POR @ 20 mins
20g POR @ end
yeast not sure yet prob just both coopers yeasts..

sugestions and recipe changes are more than welcome

this will be my first time steeping grains but have read alot about this and i am pretty sure i've wrapped my head around it seems easy enough :D

Happy drinking :chug:

IMHO this will be a decent choc porter, much like a chocolaty Tooyees Old. Nice looking receipe but not so 'stouty'

Stout tends to have 'black acrid coffee' tastes and aromas that you get from Black Malt. So if you're steeping grains get
some black oor black patent grain and steep 100 to 200g of that as well. Be warned, it's really strong and creates overwhelming flavours,
so walk before you run and start with small amounts. I put 100g into 4-1/2 kg of malts and it's more than noticable.

Also, replace the dex with dme or Brew Enhancer 2

Will try one tonight and let you know, been in the bottle for 2 weeks now so should be alright.

Sounds good. I'm interested on your take on the Amarillo hops. I picked some up yesterday at my LHBS to use in the Centamarillo Ale recipe. I've never used them before.

did a toucan of cascade chocolate porter and coopers dark ale.
into around 21L (didnt quite top it up) i put

the dark ale kit
choc porter kit
~400g dark dme
~100g brown sugar
threw a bit of left over goldings in at the end of boiling (probably 6g or so)

threw in about half of each yeast and cultured them each separarely, then threw the cultured yeast in as well after 7 days (when the gravty was around the 1.020ish mark as i was expecting it to drop further, which it didnt)
og was 1.058 from memory
fg only came down to 1.019ish
bulk primed with 190g of dark DME and 20ish g of brown sugar

it was bottled on sunday night so its been 4 days, but i couldnt help myself. just got a bit impatient and put a stubby of it in the freezer for 20 mins and just had a glass. not bad at all.
has a nice bitterness that is balanced by a nice malt flavour. the chocolate flavour comes through very nicely. if i knew how strong the chocolate flavour was i probably wouldnt have used it as a toucan as i wouldnt have imagined it clashing a bit flavour wise, but i think it worked out very nicely.

being only 4 days old there wasnt much head, but it has a great syrupy mouthfeel. after the first sip i didnt notice the lack of carbonation. i can imagine it would have great head retention being as thick as it is, but you need more head than this for head retention. should be great in a couple of weeks.

just like to say that it no longer has as much of a chocolatey taste. i think the unfermented priming sugars brought out the chocolatey taste. at the moment it is very nice, but i could have improved by using more aroma hops. What can you do when you only have 6g of hops on you.

I made a toucan tooheys lager not long ago. Added 250g of dex, to 25 litres, pitched both yeasts @ 24 degrees and stabalised @ 22 degrees. Fermenter went crazy on day 1 and 2, almost frothed the airlock. The finished product was good to go at 2 weeks but a little bitter for me. At 4 weeks, it was a little more user friendly. Cost me $16 for 25 litres which is never bad. For the price, it was a very nice and I will certainly do again. Next toucan I do will be a stout. Does anyone know a recipe (toucan or otherwise) for a murphys knockoff. Even a semi-educated guess will be good.

I made a toucan tooheys lager not long ago. Added 250g of dex, to 25 litres, pitched both yeasts @ 24 degrees and stabalised @ 22 degrees. Fermenter went crazy on day 1 and 2, almost frothed the airlock. The finished product was good to go at 2 weeks but a little bitter for me. At 4 weeks, it was a little more user friendly. Cost me $16 for 25 litres which is never bad. For the price, it was a very nice and I will certainly do again. Next toucan I do will be a stout. Does anyone know a recipe (toucan or otherwise) for a murphys knockoff. Even a semi-educated guess will be good.
Dunno about a murphy's knock off, but I rate this toucan recipe as my fave.
Coopers Stout
Coopers Dark
500g brown sugar
both kit yeasts
fill to 23L, brew at 18c.
clear space for massive messy krausen.
I tried this again twice with "improvements" and none were as good as the first.

i am actually down to drinking a 9-10 month old toucan atm out of p.e.t kind of reminds me of a bitter version of an american 40oz malt liquor, very cheap and nasty with mind blowing alc content.

2x cans morgans blue mountain lager
1kg dextrose
2x kit yeasts
21 litres.

Coopers Stout
Coopers Dark
500g brown sugar
both kit yeasts
I tried this again twice with "improvements" and none were as good as the first.

Thanks for the info, I'll give this one a go. :super:

A very tasty APA that's about to go into the keg

23L
1.7kg Coopers Euro Lager
1.7kg Coopers Mex Cerveza
0.5kg LDME
0.5kg Dext
US-05
10g cascade dry hopped 4 days
10g amarillo dry hopped 4 days

Everything got chucked into the fermenter without any boiling. A good stir and pitch of the yeast. Ended up 1.014 and about 6.3%.

Coopers Stout
Coopers Dark
500g brown sugar
both kit yeasts

Just bottled a similar brew but with 500g dark dry malt instead of the sugar and 100g dex, 20g of POR @ 15mins, to 24litres.
Intend to leave for at least six weeks before trying
A stout I made almost 1 year ago just keeps getting better, shame there is only six bottles left.

QUOTE (petesbrew @ Apr 21 2010, 12:01 PM) Dunno about a murphy's knock off, but I rate this toucan recipe as my fave.
Coopers Stout
Coopers Dark
500g brown sugar
both kit yeasts

Just bottled a similar brew but with 500g dark dry malt instead of the sugar and 100g dex, 20g of POR @ 15mins, to 24litres.
Forgot to mention that there was also a 5cm stick of licorish, that didn't disolve in the boil.
A stout I made almost 1 year ago just keeps getting better, shame there is only six bottles left.

Taste report.
A nice strong stout with a noticable licorish flavour with the hops as well.
Will try this one again but swap the dark maltwith some light dry malt.
Will try to leave the remaining 30 bottles for another 6 months.
:chug: Cheers, Ivan

I've had 2 tins of Coopers Stout sitting in the brauhaus for a week, this thread has prompted me to get off my bum and brew a toucan before I run out of grog :eek:

QUOTE (petesbrew @ Apr 21 2010, 12:01 PM) Dunno about a murphy's knock off, but I rate this toucan recipe as my fave.
Coopers Stout
Coopers Dark
500g brown sugar
both kit yeasts

Forgot to mention that there was also a 5cm stick of licorish, that didn't disolve in the boil.

Taste report.
A nice strong stout with a noticable licorish flavour with the hops as well.
Will try this one again but swap the dark maltwith some light dry malt.
Will try to leave the remaining 30 bottles for another 6 months.
:chug: Cheers, Ivan
I've got this one currently carbonating again.
The only difference is 12g Styrian Goldings added. Nothing too drastic, just enough for a hint of flavour.

I've got this one currently carbonating again.
The only difference is 12g Styrian Goldings added. Nothing too drastic, just enough for a hint of flavour.
I'm hopeless. Had one only 1.5 weeks after bottling.
:icon_drool2: :chug:
Delicious.

Ressurecting the thread a bit, I've got a couple of cans sitting about. Looking to make a stout, but I'm undecided what to add exactly.
Currently thinking:
1x can coopers stout
1x can coopers dark
350gm choc grain

Now, i'm having trouble deciding if I should add a can of muntons irish ale on top of that. And which yeast I should try. I currently have some us-05, s-23, the coopers kit yeasts, and the single muntons one. Planning on making a cup of coffee and adding that when I'm boiling the steep water.
Any suggestions?

Ressurecting the thread a bit, I've got a couple of cans sitting about. Looking to make a stout, but I'm undecided what to add exactly.
Currently thinking:
1x can coopers stout
1x can coopers dark
350gm choc grain

Now, i'm having trouble deciding if I should add a can of muntons irish ale on top of that. And which yeast I should try. I currently have some us-05, s-23, the coopers kit yeasts, and the single muntons one. Planning on making a cup of coffee and adding that when I'm boiling the steep water.
Any suggestions?

I'm thinking that your original idea (Coopers Stout. Coopers Dark + choc grain) will be great. Throw in a couple of the Coopers ale yeasts, your coffee idea, and I think you'll be happy!

Ive had a grind through tthe pages listed on this topic and could not come up with a tucan Coopers Pale, I find it surprising nobody has got one of these under the belt?... I have a few..er 8 or 10.. of these in the cupboard now thanks to some sales and was thinking of putting this in.

was thinking

300 g dme in 3.2 Lt boil
15g perle @ 30 min (more or less?)
10g Cascade @ 10 min (more or less?)
2 x CPA tins
1 x BE2 (what is in that stuff?)
top to 25lt
US05 @ 18
rack at half ferment
dry hop 15g Cascade.

I also now own (shudder) some farmland draughts, any reason they cannot be mixed with a pale tin? (the very thought freaks me out)

I dunno much about draught brewing as Im an ale drinker normally.. but damn they weere cheap, surely something drinkable can be made.. with the right additions

thoughts?

Back