Babbs 2011 Mash Paddle "pumpkin Beer"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkey7

Reaction score
This years Mash Paddle beer style is Pumpkin Beer......

To be eligible to win the illustrious Mash Paddle award you need to be a BABBs club member and you need to make this beer from raw ingredients....It is a Full Mash Brewing competition.

Oh yeah. and the beer must include some pumpkin (raw, cooked, canned, juice, extract, essence, seeds or all of these).

Each entrant is allowed a maximum of 2 entries into the Mash Paddle competition.

Any beer style, Any ABV%, Any brewing technique (involving full mash) and addition of pumpkin at any stage from the beginning of your brew day until the beer is packaged.

The only thing we ask you not to do is put loose pumpkin pulp in the kettle. You can still do kettle additions, just not loose.

The beer will be brewed commercially and we don't want to block up their pipes etc....

You can go for the traditional American Holiday beer (Spiced like a Pumpkin Pie) or invent something new.

The sky is the limit...get your thinking caps on.

Good luck everyone and enjoy. :beer:

The entries for the Mash Paddle (2 per entrant max) need to be brought along to the April Meeting to be sent outside the club for Judging.

The winner of the BABBs 2011 Mash Paddle will be announced at our May meeting after we do the Pumpkin Beer mini-comp.

Bring along a spare bottle of each of your Pumpkin Beers to the April meeting and we'll make sure they get posted and entered into the home-brewed beer competition at the Goomeri Pumpkin Festival.

Goomeri Pumpkin Festival Linky

Cheers

PB

Edit: The Mash Paddle deserves it's own thread, plus some rules needed clarification.
Sorry if your already sick of hearing about our Pumpkin Beers :ph34r: .

pumpilsner ? :)

Cultural note: pron: "Goo Mary"

Edit: used to be a travelling rep for Rothmans, Goomeri has a neat pub and motel etc.

I'll support it as I really like the place: they also grow good pumkins as you can see

goomeri_1__Medium_.JPG

goomeri_2__Medium_.JPG

So we can make two different styles of pumkin beer. Ok so pumkin stout is a definate now to choose the next.

Who is doing the external judging?

And what happened to last years mash paddle beers that went for external judging? I know Tony won the mini comp side of things but what happened to the others? Sorry have missed heaps of meetings and have not kept up.

Cheers Brad

Man have I got some ideas

I am pretty sure a big beer would work well with a squash squashed into it, say a Belgian Golden Strong Xmas Ale or a Yank Barley Wine.

So we can make two different styles of pumkin beer. Ok so pumkin stout is a definate now to choose the next.

Who is doing the external judging?

And what happened to last years mash paddle beers that went for external judging? I know Tony won the mini comp side of things but what happened to the others? Sorry have missed heaps of meetings and have not kept up.

Cheers Brad

Man have I got some ideas
Yes you can make as many as you want :lol: - just 2 can be entered into the mash paddle comp.

I believe it will be the Back Alley Beer Club @ The Grand Central Hotel or possibly the Good Beer Lunches folk if option 1 is not available???

Tony won the mini-comp as you have stated. We were never given the winner for the official Mash Paddle for 2010 "Chocolate Winter Warmer"........I'm not sure what happened. We all sent our beers off for judging. The club needs to chase up if indeed there is a winner. It would be good to settle it.

We're stuck with a bit of a tough one...if the beers haven't been judged yet...They aren't real fresh :blink:
I guess being over 6% beers (many much higher) I would imagine if they were refrigerated they'd be fine. ??????

Anyway...we better put deadlines down for our comp judges this year as it is a bit disappointing to go to all the trouble of running the comp and have a massive anti-climax....or no climax more like it. I sound like a commercial for some other industry.

We'll keep you posted,

PB

Thanks for the info PB. Love the idea of the Mash paddle beers, gets me thinking about beers that I would not have tried to make. The wife is already asking me why all the questions about the price of pumpkins :D :lol:

....or no climax more like it. I sound like a commercial for some other industry.

PB

You can get a nasal spray for that, or so Ross told me....:ph34r:

Great news!

Dovetails in nicely with the Goomeri Pumpkin Festival Pumpkin Beer Comp, details will be finalised by friday and entry sheets will be available then. Looking forward to seeing what some of the BABBS boys can produce here. And shudder, scary as it is I'll be making my second foray into weird beer :lol:

Would love to get hold of a Dogfish Head Punkin Ale to try before hand. I'm thinking something big, high OG and FG..............hmmmm.

Screwy

I think I've just become gay from reading this?

Can't we think of something Australian?

Queensland Blue Larger LagerTM 6.5%ABV
(only to be served in large enamel mugs)

Just been sorting out the mash tun.
pumpkintun.jpg

Looks more like a fermenter ;) dont know why you need a manifold in the fermenter though.

Nup its a mash tun
PUMPKIN_TUN2.jpg
Here's a fermenter.
PUMPKIN_FERMENTER.jpg

PS If you think I'm going to all that trouble - you've got rocks in your head. :p

Edit: I've just about nailed down my recipe, circa 6-8%abv.

Just getting my mini mash going on the stove now. 10L batch of Spiced Pumpkin Stout. Good bit of fun this one 1.65kg of grain getting BIAHS thats Brew In A Hop Sock :lol: Photos up soon.

Cheers

Just getting my mini mash going on the stove now. 10L batch of Spiced Pumpkin Stout. Good bit of fun this one 1.65kg of grain getting BIAHS thats Brew In A Hop Sock :lol: Photos up soon.

Cheers

:eek:
"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY KITCHEN!!"

(It'll happen folks, just wait ;) )

:eek:
"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY KITCHEN!!"

(It'll happen folks, just wait ;) )
I've already copped " You spend all that money on brewing shit and you still want to use my kitchen"

On my best behaviour and cleaning as I go.............so far. :D

I've already copped " You spend all that money on brewing shit and you still want to use my kitchen"

On my best behaviour and cleaning as I go.............so far. :D

Wait til you get to the "how come you spent $$$ freighting beers up from Murrays when you have 8 kegs on tap?"

Cheers

Paul

BTW the correct answer is it's all about quality not quantity!

Latest posts

Back