Babbs 2011 Mash Paddle "pumpkin Beer"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or "are you having another beer....."

Or something

What sort of a contribution would, say, 1 kg of pumpkin pulp make to the SG of a 20 litre batch?
Or will I just find out on the day?
Currently aiming for just over 6% ABV and decided to ditch the mushy peas.

Mushy peas...? Maybe I'll make a meat pie and sauce with pumpkin beer. What is wrong with you, man?? ;)

What sort of a contribution would, say, 1 kg of pumpkin pulp make to the SG of a 20 litre batch?

Depends on what you do with the pumpkin before hand and what pumpkin you use. Fermentable sugars will be reasonably low so probably wont contribute too much. I'd like to offer more but it's a trade secret the pumpkin I'm using and what I am doing with it =)

Depends on what you do with the pumpkin before hand and what pumpkin you use. Fermentable sugars will be reasonably low so probably wont contribute too much. I'd like to offer more but it's a trade secret the pumpkin I'm using and what I am doing with it =)

:blink:
Ahem....
Roasting then pulping and chucking it into the mash, I figured it wouldn't add much.

Roasting then pulping and chucking it into the mash, I figured it wouldn't add much.

Well that's one way... You might want to experiment on a couple of batches to see the difference between mashing, extracting the pumpkin goodness separately or adding to the boil as you'll find each different method will impart different amounts of flavour and character.

I've just about nailed down my recipe, circa 6-8%abv.

10L batch of Spiced Pumpkin Stout

Mmmm food for thought, still formulating my recipe!

Perry, stick with the Mushy Peas and a good hit of Worcestershire sauce....... Yummm! :lol:

When it comes to Pumpkin fermentables, Palmers Book frefers to replacing 900g of base malt with 2.26Kg of baked pumpkin pulp, which works out at a Potential contribution of around 1.015

Cheers,

Screwy

Winkle,

I have read it is only about 6pppg or something that rediculiously low.

I think it is in BCS by Jamil.

:blink:
Ahem....

From what I've read over the last few days. Caramelising it in the oven then putting it in the mash will get better sugar conversion.

I havn't allowed any gravity points for the pumpkin. I have roasted it in the oven and put it in a hopsock in the boil. If this fcuking stovetop ever gets it boiling

edit: watch out for stuck sparges in you put it in the mash, apparently

Pumpkin & beer. Go easy boys.
pic11818.jpg
Daz

Anyone watched that show like the one with the family who argue about building Choppers, 'cept with the Dogfish Head owner guy, about their brewing?

It's on in the States - can't remember which channel. Might be on cable here too but I don't have it.

Anyway, I was watching an episode where they were making the Punkin Ale and they were scooping the pumpkin (unroasted - it looked like orange pulp) out of cans. Then, some fwit that works there went and ordered screwtop bottles by accident and like 10,000 bottles got bottled with crowntops on the screwtops so they couldn't sell it because they didn't want to trust the tops. All the staff got to drink it.

I also think (a little xenophobically) that it should be a banana or mango beer - or maybe lamb. Happy Thanksgiving.

Pumpkin beer is more about the spices than the pumpkin.

Anyone watched that show like the one with the family who argue about building Choppers, 'cept with the Dogfish Head owner guy, about their brewing?

It's on in the States - can't remember which channel. Might be on cable here too but I don't have it.

Anyway, I was watching an episode where they were making the Punkin Ale and they were scooping the pumpkin (unroasted - it looked like orange pulp) out of cans. Then, some fwit that works there went and ordered screwtop bottles by accident and like 10,000 bottles got bottled with crowntops on the screwtops so they couldn't sell it because they didn't want to trust the tops. All the staff got to drink it.

I also think (a little xenophobically) that it should be a banana or mango beer - or maybe lamb. Happy Thanksgiving.

Pumpkin beer is more about the spices than the pumpkin.

Brew Masters - Discovery Channel I think. They had to stop the series as the current episode they are filming was on opening a new restaurant or bar and it all went up the shit so is in limbo. The cans are cooked, processed pumpkin puree. Something you can easily get in USA but hard to find here. They use it in their pumpkin pie. It is cooked, pureed and canned then pasteurised. Good stuff to use if you can find it as it cuts out a few steps...

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/brew-masters-punkin-videos/

From what I've read over the last few days. Caramelising it in the oven then putting it in the mash will get better sugar conversion.

(snip)
edit: watch out for stuck sparges in you put it in the mash, apparently

I'll make up the difference with dextrose or candy if needed.
Looks like we've been reading the same webpages, Brad :D
Factored in the rice gulls already.

Edit: I'd better stop farting around with this and crack a beer.

Never used pumpkin or spices before.

And what 1kg of boiled in a hopsock pumpkin looks like I hope the beer doesn't taste like this looks.

Cheers

P1040807.JPG

P1040810.JPG

And what 1kg of boiled in a hopsock pumpkin looks like I hope the beer doesn't taste like this looks.

Pumpkin.jpg

Cheers

Haha...................Punkin Turd :lol

Screwy

Cheers

Hi-de-ho!

Entry Forms are now available from the Goomeri Pumpkin Festival Website

http://www.goomeripumpkinfestival.com.au/

Good luck all, looking forward to this comp, should be great fun, hoping to see some great beers entered here.

The festival is a real live country style festival and lots of fun for all the family. About 2.5 hrs from Brisbane the festival would make a great weekend getaway for the family, B&Bs and camping areas available.

Pumpkin_Festival.png

Latest posts

Back