Avoiding Chill Haze Without Polyclar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im all for all natural beers.

Theres no way Im putting fish guts in my beers.

Spose grain bill & yeast selection makes a big difference.

Allso someone sugested calsium how do you get them up Big Ash I know bugger all about water chem.

I have never cc might chuck the food out of the fridge & give it a go, when the missus & kids are away someday that is.

Spose grain bill & yeast selection makes a big difference.

Allso someone sugested calsium how do you get them up Big Ash I know bugger all about water chem.

I have never cc might chuck the food out of the fridge & give it a go, when the missus & kids are away someday that is.

Fish guts are natural, so is seaweed.

Lots of good interesting info to think about and research more.

icon_ontopic.gif I've read in a few places that a protein rest reduces chill haze. I always assumed that was the reason BS adds a rest to your mash schedule by default, no?

Add 100ppm Ca with either Calcium Chloride or Calcium Sulfate to your mash. Part per million (ppm) is mg/L.

Yet, there are plenty of people who have no problem putting cow hoofs/cartlidge in their beer (gelatine).

I use isinglass (fish guts) as I didn't get good results with gelatine and find it works quite well in dropping haze as well... Only have to use 1/2 teaspoon per keg...

Anyone tried Bentonite? Not fish. Not Hoof. Clay.

Was meaning to try it in the UK, moved to Oz and completely forgot 'till this thread reminded me!

It's actually a good question. Does polyclar mask some poor practice in the grind, mash or boil?

According to Dave Miller, many home brews are so badly oxidised that polyclar will lighten the colour substantially. He's mainly referring to hot side aeration (controvery alert!), but there's an interesting question of whether polyclar would correct the effect of cheapo, oxidised liquid extract. In a side-by-side comparison, I have found that it slightly lightened the colour, and slightly freshened the flavour, of one of my brews that had a prolonged secondary in a less than airtight fermenter. That's something that gelatine or isinglass can't be expected to do. If you don't mind additives, and are planning to cold crash anyway, then I personally regard polyclar as "why not?" insurance. On the other hand, with some of the other finings I can think of a couple of why-nots, mainly to do with the fact that their effects are not nearly as specific as those of polyclar.

According to Dave Miller, many home brews are so badly oxidised that polyclar will lighten the colour substantially. He's mainly referring to hot side aeration (controvery alert!), but there's an interesting question of whether polyclar would correct the effect of cheapo, oxidised liquid extract. In a side-by-side comparison, I have found that it slightly lightened the colour, and slightly freshened the flavour, of one of my brews that had a prolonged secondary in a less than airtight fermenter. That's something that gelatine or isinglass can't be expected to do. If you don't mind additives, and are planning to cold crash anyway, then I personally regard polyclar as "why not?" insurance. On the other hand, with some of the other finings I can think of a couple of why-nots, mainly to do with the fact that their effects are not nearly as specific as those of polyclar.

My completely retarded way of making beer avoids all HSA through laziness! B)

I have recently started using polyclar to combat chill haze. Works a treat when added correctly (thanks Ross and Chris Taylor for tips).

However I'm of a mind to use less additives, rather than more for my brews. Is there anything I can change in my processes to avoid chill haze proteins developing in the first place?

I realise there's probably a search I could do to satisfy my curiosity (which I am doing anyway) but a few brewers besides me who are new to AG or wanting to move towards it, might also benefit from the advice of experienced brewers.

Cheers.

Try Dr. Bamforth's Lecture on chill haze
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/572

I have recently started using polyclar to combat chill haze. Works a treat when added correctly (thanks Ross and Chris Taylor for tips).

However I'm of a mind to use less additives, rather than more for my brews. Is there anything I can change in my processes to avoid chill haze proteins developing in the first place?

I realise there's probably a search I could do to satisfy my curiosity (which I am doing anyway) but a few brewers besides me who are new to AG or wanting to move towards it, might also benefit from the advice of experienced brewers.

Cheers.

Poly clar is basicly a shredded plastic and should be completely removed by your filter - therfore no additive

Many other things on my to buy list before I even think about a filter. It's not really high on my priority list at all.

I agree conclusions have nothing to do with the statements they are drawn from.

Latest posts

Back