Isinglass + Polyclar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocker1986

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wasn't really sure where to put this, but anyway.

I've done a bit of Googling on this question and so far I haven't found a definitive answer on it. I am switching to kegs at the moment, and I have got some isinglass which I plan to use in the FV to drop the yeast out prior to kegging (I don't like the way gelatine makes the sediment all fluffy and easily disturbed), and also Polyclar which I've been using, again in the FV, to combat chill haze. My question is, which one do you add to the beer first, or does it not really matter either way?

If you insist on use clearing aids, I would let the insinglass do its job first to remove the yeast in suspension then add the polyclar.

However, I find that a cold rest for 3 or 4 days drops our yeast satisfactorily, after which I rack straight to keg. As I usually do not move my kegs after they are stored in the kegerator, I find they all clear up within a week or more, and even chill haze will drop down in 3 to 4 weeks depending on the beer.

There are a few reasons why I do not use additives in the fermenter prior to racking, most notably that I like to re-use the yeast and don't like the idea of having residual insinglass with polyclar clumps in my next brew, notwithstanding oxidation and infection risks (albeit small).

Yep isinglass/gelatine first then polyclar. Polyclar will work better in the absence of yeast so using the isinglass first to reduce the yeast. My process is chill for 24 hours, add gelatine/isinglass, wait 48 hours then add polyclar and then at least another 48 hours before racking to the keg.

Doesn't isinglass also drop out chill haze? Maybe it's enough on its own.

It might depend on how bad it is I guess. My bo pils has a shitload of Saaz hops in it, and even with Polyclar still suffered from a fair bit of chill haze. I'm not sure what caused this, but I'd prefer to get rid of it without having to wait forever for it to drop on its own. Anyway I had an inkling that it was isinglass first, which is what I've done (added it to a brew yesterday). Will Polyclar it next week then leave a few days before kegging it. Thanks for the help guys. :)

Yeast re-use is not an issue for me - I harvest from my yeast starters rather than the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back