Chill haze

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wrapping an old towel around the urn will do wonders for your boil.
I really don't like hop bags of any sort, they do reduce your utilisation (measurably), hop pellets don't cause any problems in that they whirlpool well.
It isn't the hop debris that is an issue but the break material at least if you have hops mixed with it, it makes it a lot easier to tell how much you should be leaving in the kettle.
Having less hop debris/trub encourages people to think they can get more out of the kettle than they should, at the cost of beer quality.
Mark

manticle said:
Try acidifying the sparge water, wall.
Or pre-boil, allow to settle, decant from any impurities, then acidify.
pH stabiliser (you mean 5.2 from fivestar?) isn't really going to help.

RO is a good idea though.
Yeah I've as good as given up on 5.2, got given half a tub. Played with it for a while it but it doesn't seem to achieve much.
I'm going to try the pre boil idea though, see if I can get anything out / drop the ph.
Will read up on how best to acidify.

Proper water control is my next hurdle.
And I've hijacked a thread so I'll stop now.

Interesting that the Polyclar didn't do anything, it works bloody well every time I use it. I'm doing BIAB and no-chill as well, although I don't save the kettle trub for anything. I mix it up in hot water and stir it for an hour or so on the stir plate, then use a sanitised spoon to very gently stir the beer in the FV to get it moving a little, re-stir the Polyclar with the spoon and tip it in. It gets a good even coverage and then it's kegged a few days later. They are treated with isinglass prior as well just to get a bit more yeast to drop out but I believe this also aids in dropping out some haze forming particles as well.

This beer was a Centennial/MO ale, it had a bit of yeast haze when I first tapped the keg as is normal for me, but once that dropped out it was clear as anything.

13434790_10210118468586804_874140101507993082_n.jpg

And a Bo Pils that received the same treatment,

11987041_10207974668473141_1965814558177573651_n.jpg

I don't think anyone said Polyclar doesn't work, it does and if used properly works very well.
Wall did mention that he found 5.2 less than perfect, which I think is fairly widely agreed with, not at all related to PVPP.

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about what chill haze is and how we combat it.
Chill haze is a temporary association of Tannins (more properly Polyphenols) most of which are extracted from malt husks. If Chill or temporary haze forms and then warms up, disassociates is then cooled and reforms... you will end up with permanent haze. Basically permanent haze has the same chemistry as temporary haze but doesn't go away.
Remember that Polyphenols are a family of chemicals and there are lots of different Polyphenols, there are also lots of different Proteins, some proteins will under certain conditions combine with some tannins and form a haze particle.

Clearly the more of the tannins and proteins that engage in haze formation there in the beer the more haze forms and generally the more likely/easy it is to form and the more likely the formation of permanent haze.

You do not need any chemicals to combat haze, we use kettle finings Irish Moss, Whirlfloc Isinglass, Gelatin, BrewBright* and process aids like PVPP, Silica... (these are not fining agents) to speed up the processes that will happen naturally if you are patient enough. * BrewBright contains both a fining and a process aid.

Reducing the amount of haze forming agents in the beer will result in less haze.
  • Tannins - Milling finer makes tannins more available. Higher pH will extract more tannins. Over sparging will also extract more.
  • Proteins - The total amount of soluble protein is fairly well determined by the malt, all we can do by controlling the mash temperature and pH is control the size of the protein. Long protein rests will make for more smaller protein, this will degrade desirable head forming proteins and is generally not recommended in modern brewing with well modified malt. Boiling preferentially removes higher Molecular Weight (MW) protein, but all protein is to some extent reduced by boiling, so longer more vigorous boils reduce protein, my default boil is 90 minutes, longer for high gravity (will also have more protein)
In the kettle
Longer, better boils cause more protein to coagulate, adding Carrageenan (the active ingredient in Irish Moss) in the form of Irish Moss, Whirlfloc, Delta Flock BrewBright will help the coagulated protein clump and fall to the bottom.
  • Not leaving it in the bottom of the kettle undoes to some extent the benefits of boiling (getting high MW protein out of solution). This sediment is called Hot Break. It can't really be filtered, sieved or trapped on a stocking, with very few exceptions even big brewers leave it in the kettle/whirlpool
  • PVPP (as contained in BrewBright) chemically binds the tannins that form haze. Adding the PVPP engineered for low temperature (in fermenter) like Polyclar to the kettle wont help you, the PVPP in BrewBright is very effective at boiling temperatures.
  • The dosing of all fining/process aids is critical. too much can cause light fluffy trub that is hard to separate from the wort causing increased waste of good beer (=bad). Not enough and the trub settles very slowly and in the case of BrewBright not enough of the tannins are removed to reduce or eliminate haze.
There has to be some protein in the wort for head building, mouthfeel and as a yeast nutrient, with a good boil and effective trub separation, add to this the fact that the types of barley used for brewing are specifically breed for brewing and are going to give the best possible combination of proteins and starches... for brewing. The protein that doesn't coagulate and the protein that forms cold break will provide all that the beer needs. there is some discussion about removing cold break, if I were using 6-row malt with its higher protein content then yes it would be a matter for concern, as it isn't available in Australia (nor pretty much anywhere outside the US) I don't really get too concerned about cold break.
That said if I were brewing an extremely pale light bodied (lawn mower) beer or a very delicate Kölsch I might try to eliminate/reduce the clod break.

After fermentation, if the beer is chilled and there are enough residual haze forming agents - Haze will form.
  • Storing the beer long enough and cold enough and these haze particles will fall out, this is often called lagering or chill proofing. It is critical that the beer not warm up or the haze will go back into solution, racking the beer off the haze means it can be packaged in kegs or bottles, allowed to warm back up and then chilled again with little or no haze formation - as what forms haze is gone.
  • Isinglass will accelerate the precipitation of haze particles and yeast, Gelatine wont act on haze, tho it may help yeast to sediment
  • PVPP (as is in Polyclar) will chemically bind residual polyphenols, 70/30 (from the makers of BrewBright) is a combination of PVPP and Silica the silica attaches it self to the key MW proteins and the PVPP to tannins as previously so it is attacking both sides of the problem.
You can make perfectly clear chill proof beer without any of the finings/aids but it is a long demanding process. The finings and process aids make it easier to achieve commercial quality beer. If you are going to apply them read up on the products and use them properly.
Personally I find few beers really need zero haze, It's nice to know how, but I suspect far from necessary in home brewing. Over my life I would have drunk more Coopers than all other beers added together - so I'm not drinking with my eyes.
Mark

Further reading
View attachment 01_-_Beer_Stabilisation_part_11.pdf
View attachment 04 - Beer stabilisation part 21.pdf
View attachment 02_-_The_function_of_wort_boiling11.pdf

The learning resources at the IBD are very good basic introduction to many aspects of brewing - they are FREE!
And we haven't evened mentioned filtering...
M

The OP did mention using Polyclar in the past and not noticing a difference. Maybe it was permanent haze?

Anyway, interesting reading there. I'll have to come back and read those PDFs later as I'm about to go back to work, but always interested to learn about these things and the science behind them. :)

Big thanks for all the responses, especially to MHB. Plenty of good info there and ways to imporve my processes!

Bribie G said:
Pretty good information but their assertion that no-chilled beers will always have a chill haze is bullshit. Shades of Palmer.

attachicon.gif
lager comp 2013.jpg

Second in Pale Lagers Nats 2013.. seen here with its balls chilled off.

ed: as you can make out I had to wipe the frosting off the glass to get a good shot.

ed: to OP, that was no chilled but with a good dose of BrewBright (from Brewman, no affiliation) in the kettle at end of boil.
Don't quote me on this but I may recall an episode of Brewstrong where Palmer retracted that claim around no chill?

This is a real interesting subject.

For what is worth I thought I would let you know of something that I experienced a short time ago.

I have been kegging now for quite a number of years (closer to decades) and I brew mostly Lagers. I have very bright beers with absolutely no chill haze whatsoever.

About six months ago when I was kegging some beer, I thought I would bottle a few and see how they turned out. I think I bottled about four 750ml bottles. I primed them with dextrose and left them on the floor in the garage and noticed how brilliantly clear they were after probably about a month. So, I then placed the bottles in my coolroom so I could get a couple into me. The next evening I went to the coolroom and bugger me these beers were as cloudy as what you would ever not want to see. So, I left them in the coolroom for probably two months or more and I then noticed during that time that they were gradually clearing up once again to be brilliantly clear.

The chemistry that goes on is very weird.

Latest posts

Back