Article on Over-Hopped Craftbeer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick JD said:
Sorry, that was my fault. The question was vague. I really wanted to know if it had anything to do with anything relevant.

worst of all are the mad brewers driving around with "hop head" number plates :ph34r: .... mmmmm Cunning Ninja.....

First up, good article, good read. I agree.

Secondly,
Bribie G said:
Fat Yak is to me the best balanced "craft style" beer out there, and I really enjoy 150 lashes - light, refreshing and a nice background of hops, especially if you let it warm up a bit. When I do the pokies every few weeks I get two schooners, plonk them next to Indian Dreaming and let them sit for a few minutes.
Fat Yak and 150 Lashes as good beer and playing pokies = sad times, in my humble opinion. ;)

I think what's missing here is a bit of perspective.

The US is the birthplace of the APA and AIPA. Expecting there not to be an abundance of hop based beers there is a bit like being surprised by phenolic beers in belgium, lagers in germany, or a ridiculous abundance of pilsners in the Czech republic.

Great beer countries have their own styles and beer 'culture' which revolves around heavy use of certain ingredients or processes. The US is no different. Their contribution to world beer is the exploration of the 'fruity' hop, neutral yeast, and sky high bitterness.

stakka82 said:
I agree completely but my experience does not back your conclusions up at all.

I go to the States pretty much every year. Whilst there I try my best to stick to beers I've never had and take notes for all. When I got home from my last trip I was surprised to notice that of the ~75 new beers in my little black book maybe 10 were AIPAs, even fewer APAs. The craft brew market there is ridiculously diverse and anyone who wants to paint it as all C-hops probably has no first hand-experience of it at all.

stakka82 said:

The US is the birthplace of the APA and AIPA. Expecting there not to be an abundance of hop based beers there is a bit like being surprised by phenolic beers in belgium, lagers in germany, or a ridiculous abundance of pilsners in the Czech republic.

Great beer countries have their own styles and beer 'culture' which revolves around heavy use of certain ingredients or processes. The US is no different. Their contribution to world beer is the exploration of the 'fruity' hop, neutral yeast, and sky high bitterness.
Except US beer styles haven't been around for centuries (a couple of decades) and the market is still emerging. There's is currently a backlash about the IPA (especially the IPA cold war going on between a lot of micros there) where some quite undrinkable shit is being produced.

It's not only that IPAs are over-represented in US craft beer, but that the said IPAs (DIPAs especially) are being developed by people out of touch with their target market ... the people who do not yet drink craft beer but are considering it.

bum said:
The premise is that these overly bitter beers are mis-representing craft beer.

1 in 4 doesn't have the chance to mis-represent anything. 1 in 4 is a minority.
Not really. If the other 3/4 are different styles - it's certainly not a minority, there would be a myriad of other styles not even represented.

DIPAs are gateway beers now?

**** me drunk.

Spiesy said:
Not really. If the other 3/4 are different styles - it's certainly not a minority, there would be a myriad of other styles not even represented.
The suggestion isn't that it is simply strongly represented. The suggestion is that these beers are possibly turning customers away. There is more variety in the US craft scene than ANYWHERE else in the world. Anyone suggesting otherwise is dumb as.

bum said:
DIPAs are gateway beers now?

**** me drunk.
Obtuse much?

These breweries are producing extreme niche beers when they could be brewing something (not an IIPA) that will increase their market share by luring in Bud drinkers. Instead they are presenting them with beer that makes them think, "craft beer is not for me. Each time I try it it's too bitter."

Also, it's not possible to get drunk by *******.

You're suggesting breweries only make one beer and I'm being obtuse.

I fucken hate your computer.

bum said:
The suggestion isn't that it is simply strongly represented. The suggestion is that these beers are possibly turning customers away. There is more variety in the US craft scene than ANYWHERE else in the world. Anyone suggesting otherwise is dumb as.
Are you referencing Nick JD, or the article?

Because when Nick JD said that 25% of beers at the Boston beer whatever where IPA's, you called that a minority.

It's not.

It's a pretty strong representation.

Nick at the end.

Yes. I read it.

[EDIT: adding new stuff after your edit]

I am fairly sure that there is no way to mathematically prove 25% is a majority.

I have stated that it is a highly represented style.

There is no way 25% smothers a market.

No way.

Spiesy said:
First up, good article, good read. I agree.

Secondly,

Fat Yak and 150 Lashes as good beer and playing pokies = sad times, in my humble opinion. ;)
I enjoy playing the pokies and I do like those two beers. They are quite well made. I expect you waste a lot of your short life on useless pursuits as well like watching footy. Are you an inspector for the Nanny State or something?

When I first started AG, hops. hops and more hops... couldnt get enough of them. Now my taste buds, have shifted to malt driven beers. I brewed my first English Mild this week.
I love my Belgians and have now "discovered" sour beers.. Yummm.. :icon_drool2: .
Its all part of the journey, your tastes in beer evolve.
I shouldnt have read " Radical Brewing"," "Brew Like A Monk " , " Wheat ", or Farmhouse Ales, :ph34r: . All these books have expanded have increased my thirst for more of the beer palate.
PS. I still do a hoppy beer once and a while to get a hop fix.

bum said:
You're suggesting breweries only make one beer and I'm being obtuse.

I fucken hate your computer.
No I'm suggesting that one beer style out of 71 representing 25% of all beers at a big craft beer festival indicates a disturbance in the force.

A good indicationof this disturbance is the oxymoronic Black IPA. They're IPA obsessed, and it's affecting the "Craft Beer" 'brand' to those unfamiliar with it.

Bribie G said:
I enjoy playing the pokies and I do like those two beers. They are quite well made. I expect you waste a lot of your short life on useless pursuits as well like watching footy. Are you an inspector for the Nanny State or something?
Settle, pettle... all is well. I had hoped my emoticon conveyed the dig at you.

And yes, I love footy, but only when my Tigers are playing.

Relevance?

Back