Are My Hops Ready?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 4 plants aren't showing any signs of producing hops - still climbing and producing laterals every where. :(

My 4 plants aren't showing any signs of producing hops - still climbing and producing laterals every where. :(

I planted my hops in a big pot and trestle 6 months ago.... I cant hardly see either now...it looks like the Adams family cousin :eek:

I move it into a shadier spot last week, and it's started flowering almost straight away.

Dont know if this is because it's just time to flower or because it's not in full sun anymore?

I have a food dehidrater, will that be the best way to dry them? should i way them first then after to make sure they are dry? Or is thier a better way of drying them.

Well after a few weeks wait my HOPS are ready. They feel dryer (like paper) and the leaves start to fall off if you brush backwards and there is plenty of yellow pollen inside. Actually I had a cup of hot hop tea yesterday and it was pretty bad- much better in beer.

I am going to pick on the weekend and put directly into the wort and I would like to know if there is an appox conversion for pellets v fresh - some of the things I have read suggest of 4-5 more fresh hops to pellets however some people suggest a 1:1 ratio. At this stage I am going to go with he 4-5 ratio unless anyone else thinks there is a better method.

Cheers....

the 4-5 ratio is for wet hops as in not dried.
id go about 2-1 personally

If the hops are not fully dried and not frozen they can go mouldy quickly in plastic bags.

Back