Any Reason This Regulator Won't Work?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the aquarium ones are a flow rate regulator where as you need a pressure regulator from my understanding of them

Most of the aquarium ones are a flow rate regulator where as you need a pressure regulator from my understanding of them

It has psi on the reg dial.

Tanga I purchased a similar one which also had a pressure gauge but was just a needle valve and whilst it regulated flow it did not regulate pressure ie it will slowly blow up your keg :eek:
Mine is now fitted to my CPBF which does a great job of equalising the bottle pressure to atmosphere pressure after the filling process.
Cheers
Doug

Personally, i'd pay the small amount extra for a proper regulator. The aquarium ones are usually flow rate regulators only. You'd probably feel a bit silly paying $25 only to have to end up buying a proper one later on anyway... I think the valve assy on the aquarium regs are very difficult to get & maintain the correct pressure too.

$52.45 isn't much really when you know it'll do exactly what you need it to do!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CO2-ENTRY-LEVEL...=item43a9ddb901

Do it right. Do it once.

(and do what I say, not what I do ;) )

That pressure is the pressure on the input side, ie the CO2 bottle. Hence why it shows numbers like 500psi and above.

You are more worried about the pressure on the output side, you only want about 10psi pressure for serving from a keg.

QldKev

Thanks for all that info guys. It makes sense that the aquarium ones don't work. Good link DU99.

If the crappy regs are in the $40 to $60 bracket, why not just get a good quality one? I recently saw harris 601's under $100.00. Do it once.

Yeah I just got a micromatic to replace my 601 for $105 from CB. Damn cheap really, I swear they were more like $200 3 or 4 years ago!

$40 + postage will get you a basic regulator.

Been using one for a while and the only complaint is a tight and squeaky pressure adjuster.

No big deal I only turn to force carb, then it's back to 10-12psi for serving.

hi tanga, i went down this path for a portable set up. definately only a flow regulator (send me a self addressed post bag if you want and you can have mine for free but it doesn't even fit a standard bottle) , i then went to a chinese entry level dual guage ebay reg like listed above, useless for forcecarbing (low flow) and it didn't regulate properly.it kept blowing the relief valve on the kegs. value for money the tesuco regs are the way to go, still cheap but pretty good from my personal experience. i wouldn,t waste my money on anything of less quality.

Latest posts

Back