Any interest in a brew club to the north of Melbourne?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We could always order in some pizza? Only maybe 2, 300 pizza places within 3km of Thunder Road...

I might bring some crackers and cheese/dip, which I can whip out if the TR guys accept food at the meeting place (otherwise it can stay in the bag).

Or are we keeping this a beverage-only meet?

Sorry can't make it ..public transport screwed me and was running late from work..gunna have to dig deep and review a few of the lotto beers instead after a totally shit day at work

Good night. Great to meet heaps of AHB crew.

Big thanks to Kev, for organising. And massive thanks to Thunder Road for being such amazing hosts.

I had Maccas on the way home. It was shit.

Definitely a good night. Was great to put faces to names and try a few brews.

Great stuff from Thunder Rd for accommodating us and Kev for putting it together.

Now to decide on the club name once and for all!

Yep - Great night.

Huge thanks to Kev for organising, & Thunder Road for generously hosting - very impressive setup they have there, and hope to see more of it in the near future.
Must admit i was pleasantly surprised with their Hop Star - rather tasty, good hop kick without the massive bitter bite, nicely balanced (as per described by Sam (?) the manager/owner (?) ).
Definitely looking forward to doing a brewing comp on their equipment!

And of course, great to meet some new faces from here!!

Gaaah, I'm back in Melbourne in May/June time for a few weeks. Hoping the club continues to grow and is still alive come then.

technobabble66 said:
Must admit i was pleasantly surprised with their Hop Star - rather tasty, good hop kick without the massive bitter bite, nicely balanced (as per described by Sam (?) the manager/owner (?) ).
From memory, Sam was a brewer and Phil (?) was the owner.

Spewing I missed out!! I'm a regular at TRB great beer and great ppl. Had the old mans 60th last night couldn't exactly miss that one!! Looking forward to the next meeting. Cheers.

Great meeting last night, really enjoyed it.

Speaking of the name....I was starting to put together the poll on surveymonkey last night but quickly realised something. Of the 16 votes cast at the meeting, even though they were spread across 8 different names, it was really just 8 variations of 2 names. To sum it up, 4 blokes voted for Northern Brewers/Brew Club, and 11 blokes voted for a name with Merri in it, with the majority going for simply Merri Mashers.

So I'm thinking we do either of two things here. Either just call the club "Merri Mashers" and be done with it, so we can start getting into the important stuff like getting our own section up and running in the brew clubs on AHB, and organising our next piss up club meeting....or put a poll up with just Northern Brewers and Merri Mashers to choose from, and hope it doesn't end up like a Thai general election.

Given the heavy preference towards Merri and Mashing in last night's voting I doubt a poll will change anything, but if that's what everyone wants, please sing out?

Agreed that it'd be nice to get it sorted and move on with other things, but we're so close that we may as well do the poll with the shortlist from last night IMO. Personally I don't see an issue with having two more options (over Northern Brewers and Merri Mashers).

Ongoing discussion... I like the sound of Northern Brewers but it still doesn't feel right referring to ourselves as northern when, despite being north of the city, we're really quite central/south (in VIC) or south (in AUS). I like Merri as it seems more accurate (and clever/has nice double-meaning). Inner north isn't a bad compromise - although also feels strange to potentially use a South American empire as the overall name/acronym.

carniebrew said:
and be done with it, so we can start getting into the important stuff like getting our own section up and running in the brew clubs on AHB,
Yeah my thoughts exactly. Pick the name and move onto the important stuff, or we'll be bogged down for ages.

A vote would be decided in a manner of days and then the name would be finalised. Hardly going to bog us down.

Btw. Merri sucks. ;)

Ok, I'll get the survey up tonight with just a few options, and set it up as a 1,2,3 rating system, so we can cover off those preference issues discussed last night.

Back