Any interest in a brew club to the north of Melbourne?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northern Brewers has the pun associated with the hop that you ruin by adding anything else in.

Great to meet everyone last night. Good fun meeting, and extra special thanks to Phil and Marcus and Sam and the rest of staff at the Thunder Road Breweries for hosting us.

On the night I voted 'Northern Merri Makers' as a wishy-washy compromise between 'Merri Mashers' and 'Northern Brewers'. My heart is with 'Merri Mashers' but I know there's a strong contingent of folks out there who really prefer Northern Brewers or a simple variant thereof. Aw shucks, Mary-Lou, I just want everyone to be happy!

But yeah, doing a two-way poll just between Merri Mashers and Northern Brewers would seem to be a good call. If it ends up being 'Merri Mashers' you could just refer to it as the 'Mm beer club' anyway and folks who don't like 'Merri' could just make up another M word. Magniloquent Mashers, FTW!

PS felt an inferiority complex last night about my own beer and I didn't dare to put it on the table for tasting! Some really fine brews you other folks have got going there!

[quote name="TimT" post="1135660" timestamp="1391570652"
PS felt an inferiority complex last night about my own beer and I didn't dare to put it on the table for tasting! Some really fine brews you other folks have got going there![/quote]

Apologies - I should've cracked my Hefe - it definitely would've reduced your inferiority complex. I don't mind it for a first go, but definitely not a success.

the reference to merri is know is the creek,but some can think it's the state of the drinkers..

DU99, I think that's kinda the point!

Maybe we can compromise...IF the poll was to settle on the "Merri Mashers", we could have our name displayed in the AHB brew club section similarly to the Perth brew club guys, who have:

Perth Brewclub: WestCoast Brewers

Perhaps we could be:
Melbourne Inner North Brewclub: Merri Mashers

And as Mary-Lou said above, that way everyone's happy?? The guys who want "Northern" can call it the Melbourne Inner North Brew club (or MINBrew), and the Merri fans can call us the Merri Mashers. And everyone else can call us "Those knuckle-heads who spent the first 3 months of their existence arguing about their name"! :kooi:

But when we stop arguing about our name, what will we have left? :(

I mean, aren't pointless internecine feuds between factions what social groups are all about? Or have the ALP *really* been leading us up the garden path these last few years....?

266 replies to post
guesstimate of 50% associated with choosing name

why dont we call ourselves the northern mothers club..........

FFS lets brew some beer

Great to meet everyone and have a wee tour of the brewery, using the pilot brewhouse is going to be sweeeeeet.

Kris could you pop me a PM about yer fridge I forgot your blooming username on here... More important I remember your real name though surely eh? :D Ta.

Wow, what a great night, eh! And of course I want to add my own thanks to Phil, Masako, Colin, Marcus, Sam, Simon and everyone I've probably forgotten at Thunder Road for laying on such a great venue, along with beers, glasses, jugs, and on sale the T-shirts and books, and then a full brewery tour thrown in.
gallery_9168_1143_274015.jpg

Thanks to you all for coming along, and especially the people who shared their amazing brews. I'm actually a bit scared now, as at some stage I'm going to have to share my beer with you lot, and it could be a bit embarrassing, given how high the bar has been set.
Thanks also for all the proactive stuff, like bringing name-tags (I never would have thought of that - brilliant!). And also thanks for setting up the name poll carniebrew.
On that subject, I think we should stick to what we decided on the night (we could have decided it there and then, but decided to make it a bit fairer on those who couldn't make it) and keep the poll to the two favourites (as long as no one actually votes for Northern Brew club).
The other thing we completely failed to discuss last night was when and where we want the next meeting. I would suggest maybe next time somewhere with less distraction (not that I have anything against the kind of distractions we had last night) so we can talk about club business. It was suggested by a couple of people last night that we should return to the topic of a committee of sorts, and perhaps some kind of constitution, and I don't think it's a bad idea. It will guarantee the club has a future. It's good to keep it fairly ad-hoc at first, but there needs to be a core of people who are tasked with organising stuff, looking after money, etc. We should discuss this. So we have a choice to keep to the pattern of first Tuesday of the month, or maybe go for a weekend meet at a suitable venue in the daytime next time. And that can either be a pub, or a hall, or (God forbid) the Gelobar if you want!
But first lets get this name thingy sorted, so we look a bit like a real club with a proper forum and stuff, and one day our own T-shirts saying, "I'm a Merri Masher", or "Northern Brewers do it with more hops", something.
Thanks again people. You're a good crowd. This is going to work.

Think we should probably stick to the first Tuesday of the month... we don't want to haggle every time over when the next meeting is going to be. When I ran the poll weekends were fairly universally unpopular, not surprising - everyone does stuff on weekends.

Agree with you about being intimidated by others brews - I was so intimidated I didn't dare bring mine out of my coolbag :)

Hear, hear.

Great generosity from Phil for letting us meet in his brewery, and thanks to all of the staff who stuck around after-hours. Also a special thanks to Sam (+ Phil and Simon) for giving us a tour of the place and giving us some very interesting insight to the decisions and inner workings that go into creating their brews. Additionally, Phil's enthusiasm for our use of the pilot brewery and any ideas for brews we might have was really cool. Looking forward to future visits.

Thunder Road's Hop Star was a very tasty drop too. I guess getting a growler filled from the brewery taps is the best method for acquirement but does anyone know where TR brews can be bought? (Can't find it on their website)

Great to meet everyone, and to sample a few homebrews - definitely some interesting ones in there. I especially liked sampling the single-hopped(?) ones from Kris - I think Galaxy and Calypso were my favourite, although I kind of lost track between the five glasses.

I reckon first Tuesday of the month is good, and anything to avoid more drawn-out decisions... If weeknights/Tuesdays don't suit a few people, perhaps we could work on having an additional weekend meet throughout the month? (Would that be too much?)

There's usually a few Thunder Road brews at my regular pub, the Dan O'Connell (corner Canning St and Princes St/Alexandra Parade, Carlton). Indeed I think they have some kind of Deal going on. Both Hop Star and Brunswick Bitter on tap last time I checked (two weeks ago).

Brunswick Bitter also on tap at, surprise surprise, the Brunswick Hotel :)

Maybe weekend meets every few months? We could arrange a competition in the middle of the year sometime, and there could be a few brew days throughout the year. Personally I feel a regular once-a-month meet is best.

Cheers to all involved for organising and Thunder Road were great hosts and possible use of their pilot brewery is an amazing opportunity.
Would be great to continue on 1st Tuesday of the month
Maybe see if Thunder Road are happy if we bring along pizzas?
With plenty of beer on the go some more food might be a sensible option
I am happy to sort the pizzas as I am close by and can pick up / bring along???

I tried some great beers both from TR and from the group - my own are a bit uninsipiring in comparison but appreciate the feedback

Looking forward to next month!

Ok, here goes...a survey with the two most popular choices. I hope this is ok with everyone, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough if it's not.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XNT2GNS

Anyone can complete the survey, but we'd appreciate it if only those considering being a part of the club took the time to do so. I'll leave this open for the next few days, but if we don't get at least around 20 votes then I'll probably PM each of last night's attendees individually to make sure they know the survey is up. See I told you putting your AHB names on your name tags was a great idea!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say we'll sort this name thing soonish, so what's the next step?? (Beyond selecting a regular meeting day)
Should we be selecting recipes for brew days, etc?
Mascot? Secret handshake?
Any particular focus desired for this year - eg: a malt, hops or yeast focus; maybe variants of a chosen style; etc.
IMO, I'd stick to the first tues night of the month; or do that every "even" month & select another week(end) day for "odd" months if there's enough people who struggle to make Tuesdays.

technobabble66 said:
so what's the next step?? brew days, etc?
Brew days would definitely be a good step to investigate, great way to learn how to improve our brew days by watching (and helping) those more experienced in action

Latest posts

Back