American Buffalo Wings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultrasuede

Reaction score
Americans have had all sorts of awesome food ideas when it comes to paring with beer. I have to admit, I had never tried an authentic American buffalo wing until a few days ago, but damn are they good! The following recipe I have adapted requires some basic cooking skills like disassembling chicken wings. Traditionally, the wings are deep fried, but there is enough fat on the chicken to fry themselves if enough heat is supplied, so we will be implementing a 2 stage method by steaming and then cooking in a very hot oven.

buffalowings.jpg

. 18 chicken wings, disassembled into 36 bits
. 1-2 crushed cloves of garlic (depending on taste)
. half a teaspoon of ground rock salt
. 200g butter (not margarine!)
. 50m of tabasco sauce

Start by arranging the chicken pieces in a steaming tray (I used bamboo steamers one on top of the other) fill a pot with 1 inch of water, then bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium, and steam the chicken pieces for 10 minutes. We are steaming the wings, because if you were to just shove them into a 220C oven, the fat in the chicken would smoke your house out and leave your chicken tasting like shite - so we are rendering out some of the fat, and introducing some more moisture into the meat of the chicken.

After the steaming, place chicken on a grill tray with paper towel underneath to catch the dripping fat, then put them in the fridge for at least an hour to dry the skin and ensure a crunchy wing. After the chicken has had time to chill and dry, replace the paper towel with baking paper, and put them in the middle of your pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.

In the meantime, prepare your sauce by placing the garlic in a bowl with the butter, and microwaving on medium until the butter is melted, then transfer to a large bowl and mix in the tobasco and salt. After the 20 minutes, turn the chicken pieces and cook for another 20 minutes. (40 minutes in 220 for these little chicken pieces?!?! this will break down all the connective tissues, and give you a crispy skin, avoid checking the chicken in this time.)
Toss the chicken in the sauce while still hot to ensure proper sauce distribution, and to keep that crispy skin.
Now, you don't have to have a dipping sauce (personally, i prefer them by themselves) but if you want the all American experience, serve with a blue cheese dipping sauce (try google). Serve with a beer that compliments the heat of the sauce, and the crispy chicken. I recommend either a stout or a lager, I know, totally different beers but they both work great.

hey guys,

i lived in new york city for two years.... and sampled the original recipe in buffalo.

ultra suede- whilst your wings will no doubt taste great, i have been working on a buffalo suace clone for awhile now and i don't think that particular recipe will quite capture the flavour of true buffalo wings (just 'wings' in buffalo or you're likely to get a fist sandwich).

most NYC bars will use tobasco or chipotle tobasco (for smokey wings) to up the heat of their wings for customers who want them 'spicy'. but the base of the sauce is a lousiana hot sauce. My advice to people who want to create NY style buffalo wings at home, without having to make the hot sauce... do what the americans do... buy a bottle of 'Frank's Hot Sauce' (must be frank's, available from USAfoods.com.au), mix it in a ratio of 50-50 clarified butter (ratio to taste) and voila, authentic buffalo sauce. adjust the heat with tobasco ifyou want.

IMO blue cheese dressing and celery sticks are a must.

True buffalo wings are very flavourful (spicy, sweet, sour and salty) and will stand up well to strong falvoured beers (e.g. APA, IPA etc.). However my guess is that the vast majority are consumed with lager (budweiser, bud lite, coors etc.).... silly buggers.

ultra suede, if you want to reproduce them, you can get a gallon of frank's for about 25 bucks.

everybody should get a chance to try this amazing american eat. goes great with footy and beer. If you live in north sydney, blue plate grill in cremorne do a great version.

Mah bitches love all American food like buffalo wings

fat_slob_bitches.jpg

That brings back mamories....

Hooters have the best wings.

I used to spend many a saturday in the anahiem hooters... To get the real wings flavor we need a Hooters here cos the distraction is half the taste - you eat with your eyes before food ever gets to your lips... So just think what most guys in Hooters subconsciously think they're eating.... And it ain't wings :D

@ ces
Yes franks hot sauce was the original sauce that teresa belissimo used back then, and since then there have been tons of variations, I used tobasco because its readily available to us. I would recommend not using clarified butter tho, the only culinary benefit of it, is its high smoking point, and your removing the
milk solids which give more flavor

I had buffalo ham and a buffalo pie yesterday, it was nice.
I wasn't aware that buffalos had wings.

@ ces
Yes franks hot sauce was the original sauce that teresa belissimo used back then, and since then there have been tons of variations, I used tobasco because its readily available to us. I would recommend not using clarified butter tho, the only culinary benefit of it, is its high smoking point, and your removing the
milk solids which give more flavor

agreed... tonnes of variations. with the butter, i guess it depends on how you like it... heating should never come near flashpoint though and because i make alot at a time, clarified butter takes alot longer to separate out of the hot sauce when they start to cool

To get the real wings flavor we need a Hooters here cos the distraction is half the taste - you eat with your eyes before food ever gets to your lips...

'mammaries', hilarious. not sure where you're situated but there are hooters in parramatta, pernrith and mermaid beach. i will work out how to add links soon.

Do these babies at work and add more canned Jalapenos (cant use the fresh ones as they will kill you on sight) into our Louisiana Sauce ... they rock.

Scotty

Do these babies at work and add more canned Jalapenos (cant use the fresh ones as they will kill you on sight) into our Louisiana Sauce ... they rock.

Scotty

What do you mean by this?

Actually may be a good time for me to bring this up.

I've had Jalapenos a few times (by themselves).

1 - Fully fresh ones, they were not hot at all. Not even any warmth. WTF?
2 - Tasted like they'd been pickled. They had a bit of heat but not much. Eating them straight was absolutely delicious (got them from Guzman Y Gomez)
3 - Pickled in jar, too hot for me to comfortably eat them straight.
4 - Another random time, too hot for me to comfortably eat them straight.

So are there different types or something?

Note I'm not a chilli head.

Reminds me of the 2 jalapeno plants i got from the mother in law one christmas. They grew nicely, looked the same. However, from one plant they were perfect in heat, hot but not too hot. The other one, well f*ck me dead they were hot as!!!!!

Lobethal bierhaus does them. Bloody beautiful.

I drove from Mildura to Geelong in an afternoon, to be fed a wonderful feed of buffalo wings with blue sauce by a fellow AHBer

Back