All Australian Koala Scat Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roastinrich

Reaction score
Looking at pushing the envelope a little and some advise on this recipe.

All Australian Koala Scat Saison

Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.080
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 45
Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 12 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics:

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.00
Anticipated OG: 1.062
Anticipated SRM: 7.5
Anticipated IBU: 36.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugars:

4 kgs. Pilsner Malt(2-row)
650gm. White Wheat
300gm CaraMunich Malt
220gm toasted wattle seed
450gm lemon myrtle honey (added with 5 minutes left in the boil)

Hops/Spices:

14gm. Dwarf cluster, 10.50%aa @FWH.
14gm. POR, 8%aa @FWH.
14gm. POR, 4.75%aa @30 min.
14gm. Ella, 10%aa @15 min.

70gm, Fresh ground koala scat @15 min.

Yeast:

Wild Braconid Wasp Yeast

Mash Schedule:
Mash Type: Single Step

I would guess the koala scat would be heavily loaded with eucalyptus aroma.
What's with the wasp aspect?
Maybe US05 for first brew to calibrate flavours.

Just trying to keep it all Australian (aside from the cars munch). There are some interesting beers fermented with wild wasp yeast. Could be the next Australian farmhouse (bush wacker strain).

Just remember when you see some f-stick ripping off my idea you saw it here first on AHB 24th Sept 2015 !!

roastin said:
Just remember when you see some f-stick ripping off my idea you saw it here first on AHB 24th Sept 2015 !!
I had the idea to try a brew with wattle seeds or other ingredients i could scavenge locally about a month ago. No way i would have had scat on that list.

Very interested to see where this goes.

If you're going for a more distinct flavour, i'd reduce your late hops. Maybe just leave it to the FWH additions.
Let the scat really shine through.
And the yeast and eucalyptus as well, of course.

Is your white wheat the proper malted stuff, or are you intending to use raw wheat? If it's raw wheat, I'd be tempted to replace it with wheat malt - i find the raw stuff leaves a very dominant aroma & flavour.

What does that yeast turn out like? (i.e.: flavour/aroma, what's it similar to?)

FWIW, I reckon you should chat to TimT. I think you'd get along like an house on fire.

Are you are seriously proposing to put Shit in beer.
Before you put it in a comp or offer anyone a taste make sure you give fair warning, because I can assure that if I for one found that I had been surreptitious fed crap, well I would find you and you would regret the decision.

Putting shit in beer, nah, I'm not going there.

I was going to say don't bother adding the honey to the boil, it'll go fine straight into the fermenter - either at high krausen (if you want more honey character) or late in primary ferment (to try to maximise retention of volatile flavours/aromas) but that shit is just going to overwhelm it all anyway :p

If there's a rule about putting shit in beer it's probably 'the more like you the creature the shit came from is, the more like shit the shit is going to taste'....

I don't imagine there would be much up side to putting shit in beer

If you want the eucalyptus flavour in there why not just add those eucalyptus lolly drop things in the boil instead ?

I'm curious... what brought about this decision? Of all the possible items that can be put into a beverage what made you think that koala poo was in any way something that would be of benefit? Can't say I've sipped away at pale one day thinking "hmmmm... needs more turds. Goanna... magpie... hmm. No, actually, koala"
Please post pics of trips to the zoo's native fauna exhibit standing suspiciously under gums with a bucket.

Latest posts

Back