Saison Recipe Thoughts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warren,
Will take a long boil of pils to get that colour.

cheers
Darren

Warren if you start your burner when the first runnings enter your boiler and keep it on for the rest of the sparge you will get some nice colour addition and some good melanoidal (spelling) flavours as well, its a good way to add complexity to a one malt brew by scorching the first runnings so to speak.

Cheers
Andrew

In my experience it takes a good two hour boil though. Singing (sp) the first running ain't going to cut it (not with something as light as weyermann pils anyhow)

cheers
Darren

Darren

Dupont is supposed to be 100% pils malt believe it or not. IIRC they achieve the colour of the beer by an extended period of boiling. Perhaps the boilers are copper?

OTOH Saison de Pipaix is an orange colour but the explanation is simple. 40% Of the malt bill is Vienna.

Andrew your idea sounds valid. Boiling the guts out of the first runnings would have to achieve some darkening for sure. Wouldn't it caramelize the flavour a bit as well though?

Shawn... I scanned the beer pic from Michael Jackson's "Great Beer Guide". Oddly enough after having owned this book for the last 4 years you've brought it to my attention that the glasses are full and so are the bottles. Hate to admit it but I've actually never realised it up until this point. :lol: Talk about continuity fault. :blink: Don't worry though I've had my eye out for the magic bottle that stays full. :rolleyes:

Warren -

Oh, and I forgot to add... Another way around the colour issues would be adding some amber or dark candi sugar to the boil. My recipe utilized 4% dextrose. Maybe I could dump the CaraAmber and subtitute it for the candi. The caramel effect would have to be less this way. :unsure:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Saison Dupont.

More or less considered the benchmark of the style... Looks orange/amber from where I'm drooling. ;) :blink:
Look I can't really argue with photographic evidence (well I shouldn't, but I'm going to anyway :p ) but every Saison Dupont I've had seemed a lot paler than that. More like a gold colour. If I hadn't drank my last bottle of it last weekend I'd crack one open and check for sure.

Could it be the yeast creating an optical illusion, or have they changed kettles in the last ten years?

Yeah probably not, I know... :lol:

Latest posts

Back